University of Tulsa has risen from 150+ to 72 in 5 years Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ElliotNessquire

New

University of Tulsa has risen from 150+ to 72 in 5 years

Post by ElliotNessquire » Fri May 30, 2014 11:07 am

How does a school make moves up that quickly and will students choosing to attend a school like that be hampered because even though they have seen significant increases in their ranking relatively quickly, perception may remain that it's a low T3 school?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: University of Tulsa has risen from 150+ to 72 in 5 years

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri May 30, 2014 11:13 am

USNWR can vary wildly from year to year.

Students should view Tulsa in the exact same light: it's a local school to potentially attend if you have a full scholarship and you want to practice in the local area. That dynamic doesn't change with the USNWR movement.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Fri May 30, 2014 11:16 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:USNWR can vary wildly from year to year.

Students should view Tulsa in the exact same light: it's a local school to potentially attend if you have a full scholarship and you want to practice in the local area. That dynamic doesn't change with the USNWR movement.

Does full scholarship just imply tuition or does that mean tuition plus stipend?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri May 30, 2014 11:18 am

ElliotNessquire wrote:

Does full scholarship just imply tuition or does that mean tuition plus stipend?
I have no idea what Tulsa does or doesn't offer, but I imagine cost of living is fairly low. I think if you can keep your total debt under the average first year salary of a small-law associate (probably like 40k) it's a defensible decision. Again, assuming you're a local who wants to stay local.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri May 30, 2014 11:19 am

ElliotNessquire wrote:

"Full scholarship" is usually just tuition & fees.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Fri May 30, 2014 11:23 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
ElliotNessquire wrote:

I have no idea what Tulsa does or doesn't offer, but I imagine cost of living is fairly low. I think if you can keep your total debt under the average first year salary of a small-law associate (probably like 40k) it's a defensible decision. Again, assuming you're a local who wants to stay local.

That's great input, thanks. As it sits now, I think I could stay right at $50k borrowed to attend Tulsa, making it a good option.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri May 30, 2014 11:47 am

I would not go to Tulsa unless you have specific connections to a legal office in Oklahoma already set up. Without that, it's going to be very difficult to find someone to interview for, much less work for, no matter what its ranking is.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Fri May 30, 2014 11:58 am

Tanicius wrote:I would not go to Tulsa unless you have specific connections to a legal office in Oklahoma already set up. Without that, it's going to be very difficult to find someone to interview for, much less work for, no matter what its ranking is.

Why do you say that?

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Fri May 30, 2014 12:04 pm

To give Tulsa some credit, they have a program where if you live in one of 12 select states you automatically get a $18,000 scholarship. http://www.utulsa.edu/academics/college ... rship.aspx So if the goal is not big law, and a small firm in Oklahoma, Tulsa doesn't have to be a terrible choice if you can get an additional scholarship tacked on to the Access to Legal Education Scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri May 30, 2014 12:05 pm

ElliotNessquire wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I would not go to Tulsa unless you have specific connections to a legal office in Oklahoma already set up. Without that, it's going to be very difficult to find someone to interview for, much less work for, no matter what its ranking is.

Why do you say that?
Oklahoma is mostly rural and is one of the most sparsely populated states in the country. There is so little demand for legal work that it's prohibitively risky to vie for a job in the state. Firms from Dallas or Houston aren't coming up to Tulsa to interview the city's law students. If you don't get a job in Tulsa itself, with literally one or two firm options that exist in the city, then you're pretty much screwed, unless: (a) your game plan was to join a family/friend's shop before you even went to school; or (b) start your own firm right after graduation.

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri May 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Full scholarship actually means tuition only.

Many schools, particularly state schools, are hampered by restrictions related to whether or not they can negate student fees. These fees are a tangible cost to the law school -- in other words actual money transfers between the law school and the larger university.

As a result most full scholarships don't cover the fees.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri May 30, 2014 12:08 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:To give Tulsa some credit, they have a program where if you live in one of 12 select states you automatically get a $18,000 scholarship. http://www.utulsa.edu/academics/college ... rship.aspx So if the goal is not big law, and a small firm in Oklahoma, Tulsa doesn't have to be a terrible choice if you can get an additional scholarship tacked on to the Access to Legal Education Scholarship.
But what small firms? We aren't talking about oil & gas boutiques who contract out for Chevron or Shell, here. We're talking about a firm where you will be lucky to get above-minimum wage starting salaries to do mom & pop wills and trusts, if you can even find the few of them that happen to need an extra hand now and then, let alone be the one person out of 500 applicants who actually gets the job.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Fri May 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Tanicius wrote:
ElliotNessquire wrote:

Why do you say that?
Oklahoma is mostly rural and is one of the most sparsely populated states in the country. There is so little demand for legal work that it's prohibitively risky to vie for a job in the state. Firms from Dallas or Houston aren't coming up to Tulsa to interview the city's law students. If you don't get a job in Tulsa itself, with literally one or two firm options that exist in the city, then you're pretty much screwed, unless: (a) your game plan was to join a family/friend's shop before you even went to school; or (b) start your own firm right after graduation.

This doesn't seem consistent with the research I've done. Tulsa is an oil & gas stronghold nationally and the metropolitan area is knocking on the door of a million people in population. Why would only 1 or 2 of the city's firms offer a good landing spot for employment of a TU grad?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri May 30, 2014 12:17 pm

I am beginning to wonder about the shillness of this thread.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Fri May 30, 2014 12:29 pm

bjsesq wrote:I am beginning to wonder about the shillness of this thread.

No no! I promise that isn't the case. I'm just an applicant trying to make a shrewd decision. Having reread through this thread, I can see why someone may have interpreted it that way, but that definitely wasn't my intent.

Utesfan

New

Post by Utesfan » Fri May 30, 2014 12:40 pm

I work at a large firm in utah and 3 partners are Tulsa grads for what it's worth. They convinced me to go the cheap route for law school.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri May 30, 2014 1:23 pm

raininthedesert wrote:Full scholarship actually means tuition only.

Many schools, particularly state schools, are hampered by restrictions related to whether or not they can negate student fees. These fees are a tangible cost to the law school -- in other words actual money transfers between the law school and the larger university.

As a result most full scholarships don't cover the fees.
That's interesting - I hadn't heard anyone here mention getting a full scholarship and still getting hit for the fees. In either case, a full school doesn't imply a stipend on top of it, which I think was the important part of his question.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 30, 2014 2:04 pm

I have a weird feeling that the OP isn't even from Oklahoma.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Fri May 30, 2014 2:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:I have a weird feeling that the OP isn't even from Oklahoma.
I think OP is from Kansas, he mentioned Wichita in a different post and UMKC

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Fri May 30, 2014 2:45 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 30, 2014 2:48 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
Is Kansas a city in Oklahoma?

Or are those two different states?

Anyway, I don't think I would go there unless I was from Oklahoma and probably not unless I had ties to Tulsa specifically. I have to think the University of Oklahoma is the big dog in the state and I would imagine the legal community is pretty small.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Fri May 30, 2014 2:52 pm

BigZuck wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:

Anyway, I don't think I would go there unless I was from Oklahoma and probably not unless I had ties to Tulsa specifically. I have to think the University of Oklahoma is the big dog in the state and I would imagine the legal community is pretty small.
I didn't say he was from Oklahoma, I was backing you up by saying I was pretty sure he was from Kansas like I posted.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 30, 2014 2:55 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:

I didn't say he was from Oklahoma, I was backing you up by saying I was pretty sure he was from Kansas like I posted.
Yeah, I know, just figured I would take a pot shot at the Midwest. Or wherever those states are located.

But...the OP might think "Kansas, Oklahoma, close enough, I'm basically a native!" but I doubt it'll work like that. Especially not if OK and KS have one of those weird border state rivalry cripple fights (and of that I honestly have no idea)

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat May 31, 2014 2:22 pm

MistakenGenius wrote: 2.) They are FROM Oklahoma (Oklahoma is a very insular state and only really trust natives)
Just curious and not exactly looking to start something, but why do you believe this?

bizzike

New

Post by bizzike » Sat May 31, 2014 2:27 pm

ElliotNessquire wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
ElliotNessquire wrote:

Why do you say that?

This doesn't seem consistent with the research I've done. Tulsa is an oil & gas stronghold nationally and the metropolitan area is knocking on the door of a million people in population. Why would only 1 or 2 of the city's firms offer a good landing spot for employment of a TU grad?[/quote

All of their oil/gas work is done by Dallas and Houston Biglaw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”