International Human Rights is not as cool as you think Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DELG

Gold

Re: International Human Rights is not as cool as you think

Post by DELG » Sat May 31, 2014 6:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:other... sexual desires... that are illegal here
such as...
Aren't the only illegal things pedo and bestiality

worldtraveler

Platinum

Re: International Human Rights is not as cool as you think

Post by worldtraveler » Sat May 31, 2014 7:06 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Do you guys ever find you have to work with really slimy people?

I heard the stories of a guy who went to Africa to help set up some local banks and help guide them through the process of doing that. He said that the "bank managers" and local officials there were often ex-pats who had left North America because they had other... sexual desires... that are illegal here. He knew where they would go after they would close the bank/finish negotiations but still had to work with them because they were the only people who could get shit done there. Had to turn a blind eye to it. Said he would never go back to do it again.
I work with a lot of lawyers in Africa that I'm 100% sure are corrupt. Also some amazing people, but for the most part it's not. It's blatantly obvious to me that they are super corrupt, but apparently not to the people funding the project.

I think you get a weird mix of people:
true saints who are pretty much taking a vow of poverty to try and change the world
people with some kind of god complex that think they should save the world
people doing some kind of pennance for feeling guilty about the wealth or previous acts
people who are just straight up corrupt or evil, or have ulterior motives (smuggling diamonds on the side, making a politically powerful family look good)
really naive people who do more harm than good
completely useless people

And yeah among field workers there are a lot of sexual deviants. A lot of cheating. It's no accident that in Africa most aid/development/human rights workers are white women and in Asia they're white men. For women sometimes it's a front though; people have a male friend that they pretend to be in a relationship with for safety reasons or to get people to leave them alone. There are others who get into inappropriate relations with clients and stuff though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”