Touro Law vs. Suffolk Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Touro vs Suffolk

Touro Law
42%
Suffolk Law
58%

Total votes: 19

CiaoTat

New

Touro Law vs. Suffolk Law

Post by CiaoTat » Wed May 28, 2014 12:00 pm

I have to decide by Monday where to go
Suffolk 60% scholarship
Touro 50% scholarship

They end up total cost about the same.
GPA: 3.7 LSAT 151 (that was best I could do...not for me to retake)

Main concentration: Public Interest and Immigration / Sex Trafficking

My current Pro and Cons are:
Pro:
Touro: Class size = big fish small pond. People are so welcoming and have non-profits and agencies located inside law school. LIRR to NYC
Suffolk: Already in the city, variety of clinical, pro bono opportunities directly in my concentration

Con:
Touro: More remote suburban area, less recognition as law school since its so new
Suffolk: Double class size, more competitive to stand out

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Greatly appreciate it!

Mullens

Silver

Re: Touro Law vs. Suffolk Law

Post by Mullens » Wed May 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Neither. You will ruin your life.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed May 28, 2014 12:04 pm

If you won't retake or truly, honestly feel that a 151 represents the height of your abilities, you shouldn't go to law school. Both options are horrible. It's like asking "Should I stab myself in the eye with an icepick or swallow shards of broken glass?" The only possible answer is "neither."

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed May 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Almost all of your law school grades will be determined by a single final and to be a practicing lawyer, you have to pass the bar. If you're not a good test taker, you shouldn't go to law school. The LSAT is a good opportunity for you to learn how to become a better test taker.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Wed May 28, 2014 12:07 pm

retake please

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Wed May 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Don't waste a 3.7 - retake. Touro and Suffolk are both bad choices. Look up employment numbers on LST

sallysitwell

New

Post by sallysitwell » Wed May 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Dear god do not waste that GPA. Look at this: http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/touro/suffolk/

30-Something

Bronze

Post by 30-Something » Wed May 28, 2014 12:19 pm

If you won't retake and you're only interested in PI, I would implore you to sit out this year's cycle and reapply next year to CUNY Law. Much less expensive than either school... even without a scholarship.

johnnyquest

Bronze

Post by johnnyquest » Wed May 28, 2014 12:21 pm

I know it sucks to wait a year. But the LSAT is a very learnable test. Follow the study tips and advice on this forum and I promise your score will increase. Ask yourself this question: Would you rather have one shitty year (studying for retake) or 40 shitty years because you went to a worthless law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CiaoTat

New

Post by CiaoTat » Wed May 28, 2014 12:26 pm

johnnyquest wrote:I know it sucks to wait a year. But the LSAT is a very learnable test. Follow the study tips and advice on this forum and I promise your score will increase. Ask yourself this question: Would you rather have one shitty year (studying for retake) or 40 shitty years because you went to a worthless law school?
I was thinking of transferring by demonstration of my grades / class rank --I really wanted CUNY or Fordham

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed May 28, 2014 12:29 pm

CiaoTat wrote:
johnnyquest wrote:I know it sucks to wait a year. But the LSAT is a very learnable test. Follow the study tips and advice on this forum and I promise your score will increase. Ask yourself this question: Would you rather have one shitty year (studying for retake) or 40 shitty years because you went to a worthless law school?
I was thinking of transferring by demonstration of my grades / class rank --I really wanted CUNY or Fordham
It's much easier to retake the LSAT than it is to transfer.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Wed May 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Flame

johnnyquest

Bronze

Post by johnnyquest » Wed May 28, 2014 12:32 pm

CiaoTat wrote:
It's way tougher to transfer out of a bad school than it is to increase your score on the LSAT. Keep in mind that everyone will have the same mindset. "I'll just land in the top 10% and transfer." Please realize that 90% of students won't be in the top 10%. Which is what you'll need to transfer to a decent school. RETAKE!

Edit: Probably a troll, but my point still stands.
Last edited by johnnyquest on Wed May 28, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed May 28, 2014 12:33 pm

unodostres wrote:Flame

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 28, 2014 12:54 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
This is a brand new poster who's asking a question that gets asked here all the time. There's no need to call flame at this point.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed May 28, 2014 12:58 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
This is a brand new poster who's asking a question that gets asked here all the time. There's no need to call flame at this point.
the transfer is really what did it this is paint by numbers whip TLS up into a retake frenzy

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Doesn't make the person a flame. It's still a really common attitude for people who aren't on TLS/are relying on e.g. bad UG law school advisors.

Calling flame also doesn't really add anything to the conversation. (Not calling you out particularly, I just think "flame" posts are pointless. If they're flame they just want attention, ignore instead.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Wed May 28, 2014 1:05 pm

CiaoTat wrote:
Transferring in law school is very different from undergrad, though most 0Ls don't realize that.

How much will each school cost? How are you paying for it?

Creditisgood

New

Post by Creditisgood » Wed May 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Go premed at Touro. You ll get a job.
Pmed is the new retake.
Job outlook:20pct
Median pay: $185,000

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Wed May 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Creditisgood wrote:Go premed at Touro. You ll get a job.
Pmed is the new retake.
Job outlook:20pct
Median pay: $185,000
But bro, the JD is a million dollar degree. Simkovic said so.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Wed May 28, 2014 10:46 pm

I'm all for advising the best option of the ones the OP presents, but a 151 only leaves two options: retake or don't go.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed May 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Thu May 29, 2014 8:35 am

CiaoTat wrote:I have to decide by Monday where to go
Suffolk 60% scholarship
Touro 50% scholarship

Pro:
Touro: Class size = big fish small pond. People are so welcoming and have non-profits and agencies located inside law school. LIRR to NYC
Suffolk: Already in the city, variety of clinical, pro bono opportunities directly in my concentration

Con:
Touro: More remote suburban area, less recognition as law school since its so new

Have you spoken to any alumni from each school or attorneys that practice in your desired market? It sounds like Touro is the right call here as their employment score on LST is higher than Suffolk and the employment isn't too bad compared to other schools in the Northeast. I wouldn't dive too deep into the TLS "retake" theory. If you are comfortable with your situation, that's all that matters but I think you should definitely reach out to a few attorneys in your desired market to get some advice. You also shouldn't bank on transferring because you're being graded on a curve so the odds are stacked against you to crack to 20% but Touro is the right call here

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu May 29, 2014 8:44 am

Young Marino wrote:
Suffolk 60% scholarship
Touro 50% scholarship

Pro:

Con:

Have you spoken to any alumni from each school or attorneys that practice in your desired market? It sounds like Touro is the right call here as their employment score on LST is higher than Suffolk and the employment isn't too bad compared to other schools in the Northeast. I wouldn't dive too deep into the TLS "retake" theory. If you are comfortable with your situation, that's all that matters but I think you should definitely reach out to a few attorneys in your desired market to get some advice. You also shouldn't bank on transferring because you're being graded on a curve so the odds are stacked against you to crack to 20% but Touro is the right call here
I know that railing against the "retake" advice is kind of your shtick, but please don't giving life ruining advice to others like "attend Touro". 50% scholarship still equals six figure debt. A law school with a 148 LSAT median is a scam that is taking advantage of the naive for federal loan money. This place should close and you should stop giving awful advice just to justify your own terrible decisions.
Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Thu May 29, 2014 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu May 29, 2014 8:46 am

Young Marino wrote:
Suffolk 60% scholarship
Touro 50% scholarship

Pro:

Con:

Young Marino, you're possibly the worst poster on TLS. How many lives must you ruin before you're satisfied? Just because you're intent on not retaking and attending a TTTT doesn't mean you should encourage others to make an equally bone-headed decision.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”