Thoughts on university of Houston Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
life2323

New

Thoughts on university of Houston

Post by life2323 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:41 pm

I want to know what people think of the law school. I am trying to work in big law (Texas) and have ties to Texas. Also have a top 10 school undergrad degree.

tabula rasa

New

Re: Thoughts on university of Houston

Post by tabula rasa » Sat May 17, 2014 1:58 pm

life2323 wrote:I want to know what people think of the law school. I am trying to work in big law (Texas) and have ties to Texas. Also have a top 10 school undergrad degree.
In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT
U Houston does not give you a very good shot at Big Law. Less than 1 out of 5 graduates manage to get it.

Since you've indicated that you want to work in Texas and have ties there, attending Houston may be a defensible decision if the COA is moderately low and if you are willing to settle for not-Big Law if you strike out. If you really want to maximize your chances at Big Law, however, you need to retake for T-14 or UT-Austin.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat May 17, 2014 7:58 pm

If you want big law, that's what the T14 is for.

Schools like UH are for small firm/local government work in the region they are located in.

UT is somewhere in between (probably closer to a T14 than a strong regional but still has a lot of the same characteristics of a strong regional).

The absolute worst school you should attend if TX big law is your goal is UT, and only then if it is a good deal cheaper than your T14 options and/or you have personal reasons compelling you to attend.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat May 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Uhlc is a good regional school but an awful decision for biglaw

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”