Schools in NY v. Boston v. Miami v. Baltimore Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sheeeluh

New

Schools in NY v. Boston v. Miami v. Baltimore

Post by sheeeluh » Wed May 14, 2014 10:51 am

I have taken the LSAT twice, first score was 143, second score was a 151. GPA 3.4. I know my LSAT score is low but I graduated two years ago, am currently working as a paralegal at A Family Law Firm in Florida.

I got into these schools (note: I do know their rankings and the mockery and judgment most have in the legal field, but I hoping to transfer after killing it my first year):

Hofstra
Pace
NYLS
University of Baltimore
Suffolk
St. Thomas (Miami)

My goal is not to ultimately do biglaw though I wouldn't turn it down if someone miraculously offered it. I do want to be able to land a decent paying job and pay my loans and practice law. Which of these schools would you guys recommend to go to in general and which school has a better chance of transferring out and into a higher tiered school? Thanks.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Schools in NY v. Boston v. Miami v. Baltimore

Post by Nebby » Wed May 14, 2014 10:53 am

Don't go to law school thinking you can transfer.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:58 am

sheeeluh wrote:I got into these schools (note: I do know their rankings and the mockery and judgment most have in the legal field, but I hoping to transfer after killing it my first year):
Flame.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:59 am

Three points:

1) What is the COA at these schools?

2) Don't go to law school thinking you will transfer. It's not going to happen. Do not attend a law school you would be unhappy graduating from.

3) If you are one of the 40-45% of students at these schools who gets a FTLT legal job, expect to make between 45-60K. Remember, those are the people who get jobs, not the ones who work at Starbucks. If that's not a decent salary to you, do not go. There's no tier of 95K midlaw jobs out there that all the non-biglaw people get.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 14, 2014 11:06 am

You got a 151 on your LSAT. Ask yourself if that's the best you can do. You have a job now in a great location. Take your time; don't go to any of these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sheeeluh

New

Post by sheeeluh » Wed May 14, 2014 11:07 am

CounselorNebby wrote:Don't go to law school thinking you can transfer.

I understand that transferring is going to be rather difficult. I was merely just mentioning it for the fact that I hope not to earn a degree from those schools, but if my only option to to get one from those schools, which would be the better of the ones listed.

sheeeluh

New

Post by sheeeluh » Wed May 14, 2014 11:08 am

jbagelboy wrote:You got a 151 on your LSAT. Ask yourself if that's the best you can do. You have a job now in a great location. Take your time; don't go to any of these schools.
I don't think its the best that I can do but I really tried my second time and I was scoring 156/158 on my practice tests and then bombed the day of. Typical excuse I guess. :(

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:12 am

In all likelihood, after three years at any one of these schools you'll be (1) a shitload in debt and making probably the same salary you are making now, (2) trying to get your current job back. Do not go to any of these schools. Stay as a paralegal and retake.

sheeeluh

New

Post by sheeeluh » Wed May 14, 2014 11:13 am

timbs4339 wrote:Three points:

2) Don't go to law school thinking you will transfer. It's not going to happen. Do not attend a law school you would be unhappy graduating from.

3) If you are one of the 40-45% of students at these schools who gets a FTLT legal job, expect to make between 45-60K. Remember, those are the people who get jobs, not the ones who work at Starbucks. If that's not a decent salary to you, do not go. There's no tier of 95K midlaw jobs out there that all the non-biglaw people get.
1. My parents are going to pay for my living expenses so just based on tuition:

Hofstra: 149,340 (but they offered 10k a year) so its 119,340.
Pace: 136, 872
NYLS: 147,720
University of Baltimore: 97,490
St. Thomas: 115,374
Suffolk: 134,802

2. I understand transferring is next to impossible but I am still willing to try regardless.

3. Is that salary for a lifetime or is there an ability after practicing for a few years to move up in salary?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 14, 2014 11:16 am

sheeeluh wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:You got a 151 on your LSAT. Ask yourself if that's the best you can do. You have a job now in a great location. Take your time; don't go to any of these schools.
I don't think its the best that I can do but I really tried my second time and I was scoring 156/158 on my practice tests and then bombed the day of. Typical excuse I guess. :(
Then you are in one of the best positions for a retake. When people tell me, "I got 6 pts higher than my highest PT after my powerscore course and 10 months study," I say okay, retaking that test is not worth it since you already exceeded what you could do. On the other hand, you're telling me you did NOT do your best. So there's so much room to grow!

Once you start law school, there's no do-over. There are no tests you can just take again and put the old score behind you. I wish every goddamn day that my Contracts final was like the LSAT and I could just take the motherfucker again and get a new grade. You are so goddamn lucky to have that opportunity - seize it! Don't fuck this up for yourself.

When you actually start law school, you'll realize that every extra point you gave yourself on the LSAT was worth it time and time over (then you'll realize it again when you start making debt payments). You can't retake law school exams, and you'll have many of them, and they will suck epic shit, and if you bomb even one of your 1L exams, you're done. No transfer. If you even just get stuck at median in two or more, you're done. It's TTT or drop out, although your chances at practicing law will be roughly equal either way you come out on that choice.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:24 am

sheeeluh wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Three points:

1. My parents are going to pay for my living expenses so just based on tuition:

Hofstra: 149,340 (but they offered 10k a year) so its 119,340.
Pace: 136, 872
NYLS: 147,720
University of Baltimore: 97,490
St. Thomas: 115,374
Suffolk: 134,802

2. I understand transferring is next to impossible but I am still willing to try regardless.

3. Is that salary for a lifetime or is there an ability after practicing for a few years to move up in salary?
1) That's too much for any of these schools by a large margin- NYLS, Pace, Suffolk, Hofstra are out immediately. Baltimore, if they gave you full tuition, might be okay if you were satisfied with the following employment stats: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/baltimore/2013/

That Hofstra scholarship also likely comes with pretty bad stipulations. What are the stipulations?

2) Sure, you try your best in any scenario. But for cost-benefit analysis purposes transferring doesn't exist. You've got the same chance of doing that as getting a biglaw job. Try and put it out of your mind.

3) Sure, there are salary increases- assume 3-5%. But there are salary increases at pretty much any job. And since you're not going to be able to make payments on your debt on the likely salaries of 45-60K, you will probably have to go on PAYE. And that means the interest will keep piling up.

What are you earning now?

I would strongly advise retaking to get a full scholly. If not, try to get into a part-time program and work as a paralegal during the day to defray costs and keep that option open if you don't get a job.

sheeeluh

New

Post by sheeeluh » Wed May 14, 2014 11:32 am

Would it make a difference if I practiced in a different state from where I went to school? Or is the job market still slim/salary still low?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 am

sheeeluh wrote:Would it make a difference if I practiced in a different state from where I went to school? Or is the job market still slim/salary still low?
These are national stats, however, you're going to regional schools. Hofstra/NYLS/Pace are going to have place largely into the NYC metro area, Baltimore in Maryland, Suffolk in Greater Boston. Don't go to Suffolk hoping to move back to Miami, in others words.

Also remember that COL is different, so that the salaries will be closer to 60K in the metro areas and 40K or lower if you practice in the sticks, but you'll be paying more in rent and costs to reflect that. Also remember that you're probably not going to want to live in a $1000/mo apartment in Manhattan and eat ramen three years from now while everyone in your family thinks you're some hotshot lawyer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Wed May 14, 2014 11:50 am

I think you're better off making A Career as a Paralegal. Try to find a new job at a firm that does the same work that some big law firms do. You can either try to go straight into a large law firm, or you can go to a smaller firm that specializes in something big firms are interested in. For example, I work for a decent sized firm and the paralegal across the hall from me, who does patent work, came from a small solo patent practitioner. Our experienced paralegals make 70-90k. Pretty sweet gig, considering they get overtime and typically work 35 hour weeks.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Wed May 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Obtaining a paralegal job would be an excellent outcome from the schools you're considering.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Sorry breh but I agree w everyone else. The schools you're considering are barely worth attending for free, much less for $100k+. Keep your paralegal job - I was a paralegal and knew several career paralegals who made a nice living for themselves.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Otunga wrote:Obtaining a paralegal job would be an excellent outcome from the schools you're considering.
Even that outcome prediction might be pushing it...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed May 14, 2014 6:53 pm

sd5289 wrote: but I hoping to transfer after killing it my first year):
kill the lsat instead

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Don't do it

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:15 pm

I think I agree that your current job is probably better than what a lot of grads from these schools will be doing, and you'll save a crap-ton of money.

Get that score up if you just can't stand it. Don't go to these schools, especially if not for free.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”