Reneging on commitments? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
banks

New

Reneging on commitments?

Post by banks » Thu May 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Hello!

Quick question -

I'm about to commit to school X and accept a scholarship. I have declined all other acceptances, but am still on the waitlist at School Y. If I accept the scholarship then get accepted off of the waitlist at school Y, it's ok to subsequently turn down School X to attend School Y, correct? I don't have to say no to all waitlists at the same time that I say no to all offers of admission, yes?

Thanks in advance.

arklaw13

Gold

Re: Reneging on commitments?

Post by arklaw13 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:52 pm

banks wrote:Hello!

Quick question -

I'm about to commit to school X and accept a scholarship. I have declined all other acceptances, but am still on the waitlist at School Y. If I accept the scholarship then get accepted off of the waitlist at school Y, it's ok to subsequently turn down School X to attend School Y, correct? I don't have to say no to all waitlists at the same time that I say no to all offers of admission, yes?

Thanks in advance.
You're fine unless your acceptance form specifically states that you have removed yourself from all waitlists or from consideration by other schools, etc. Most just require you to decline all the other schools that have accepted you.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Thu May 08, 2014 9:09 pm

arklaw13 wrote:

Quick question -

Thanks in advance.
You're fine unless your acceptance form specifically states that you have removed yourself from all waitlists or from consideration by other schools, etc. Most just require you to decline all the other schools that have accepted you.
I'm pretty sure the ABA forbids schools from forcing you to withdraw from waitlists.

OP, you're fine.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:10 pm

jselson wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

Quick question -

Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure the ABA forbids schools from forcing you to withdraw from waitlists.

OP, you're fine.
Doesn't Duke do this though? Thought I read that on a post somewhere on here.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Thu May 08, 2014 10:04 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
jselson wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

Quick question -

Thanks in advance.

OP, you're fine.
I can't seem to find the ABA stuff (heard it through the TLS grapevine), but I thought there was an ethical requirement that all applicants are entitled to a final decision on their applications, and waitlists aren't final decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:27 am

The ABA forbids schools from forcing you to withdraw from wait lists. Some schools might try to get you to do so anyways, but there's not really any way they can force you to and there's nothing ethically problematic with staying on the wait list. The cost to you is that if you change your mind, you lose your seat deposit.

banks

New

Post by banks » Fri May 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks all. Will be accepting scholarship and staying on the wait list then.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
jselson wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

Quick question -

Thanks in advance.

OP, you're fine.
Duke's statement requires the applicant to certify that they have withdrawn from all other schools to which they've been accepted. Not waitlists.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Fri May 09, 2014 2:16 pm

gta wrote:Duke's statement requires the applicant to certify that they have withdrawn from all other schools to which they've been accepted. Not waitlists.
What's the verbatim statement?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Fri May 09, 2014 2:59 pm

HRomanus wrote:
gta wrote:Duke's statement requires the applicant to certify that they have withdrawn from all other schools to which they've been accepted. Not waitlists.
"I certify that I have withdrawn from all other law schools to which I have been admitted."

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Fri May 09, 2014 3:13 pm

gta wrote:
HRomanus wrote:
"I certify that I have withdrawn from all other law schools to which I have been admitted."
Thanks. Was curious whether the wording would require you to withdraw from law schools admitted to post-deposit (off a waitlist or otherwise).

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Sat May 10, 2014 12:55 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”