Question on direction of law school choices. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shcmike

New

Question on direction of law school choices.

Post by shcmike » Wed May 07, 2014 2:43 pm

I am currently a MS1, 4-year MD/MPH student at a top 25 medical school. I am very interested, and am pretty much sold, on pursuing a JD. I would complete my MD/JD/MPH in whatever allotted time I needed. I have vetted my interest in law for some time, and have made necessary contacts to ensure that I have gained significant information about the careers. However, my school does not offer the opportunity, even though its parent institution has a top 25 law school too. I am very interested in health policy and executive administration in health care as my ultimate goal, with policy being my main focus. My goal is neurosurgery, which I have been diligently working toward in many ways.

I wanted to get some direction on what schools to focus on. I will be taking the LSAT this summer, but am in no rush. My goal is a 170+, so I will delay as much time as needed to ensure the score. I do not plan on starting law school until after my 3rd year of medical school, and I am about to start my second year now. My ultimate goal is to work and live in Miami, and to do my neurosurgery training there too. I have the opportunity to do the MD/JD at the University of Miami, where I would complete my JD at UM and my MD at the school I currently attend which is significantly more well regarded worldwide than UM. Depending on my LSAT score, I am willing to take a 3-year law school route; however, I am interested in Northwestern's 2-year program as well. I attended a Jesuit school for undergrad so I am strongly drawn to Georgetown too, especially with their health policy focus. Also, Stanford is an interest, because of their focus on biotech and my work in bioinformatics and programming. I wanted to see what others thought about law schools, especially with a focus on business or health care. I am unsure if I should do the 3-year route, or focus on the 2-year programs. Also, is there any utility in waiting until I am an attending physician to get a JD. I fear that once I settle down with a family, my further education would be hindered so I am considering the time away from medical school. I have been researching University of Miami's law program and people downplay it a lot, so it makes me fear attending the school if I will be held back. However, I know an MD holds a lot of weight, where an MD can replace a poor school name. For example, for an MD breaking into business, you do not need to go to HBS for an MBA to get a good job in health administration. You can literally go to No-Name University for an MBA and be fine, because you have the MD.

I have been in contact with some JDs that are in medical school now that tell me I need to go to a top program to get the best education for my focus. They have said that state schools, and the like, train lawyers in their current state law and not federal law. Top schools, on the other hand, realize that most graduates will move to other areas of the country and train students on federal law. A colleague of mine who practiced in San Fran for 10 years and came back to medical school verified this for me. He said to focus on schools that are known as "centers". For example, UGA is known for international law and Georgetown is known for health law. Anyway, I know many people online believe medicine and law do not mesh; however, that is further from the truth than anything. I understand that the only way to truly impact medicine is through policy, and I want to be on the forefront.

timbs4339

Gold

Re: Question on direction of law school choices.

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:18 pm

shcmike wrote: I have been in contact with some JDs that are in medical school now that tell me I need to go to a top program to get the best education for my focus. They have said that state schools, and the like, train lawyers in their current state law and not federal law. Top schools, on the other hand, realize that most graduates will move to other areas of the country and train students on federal law. A colleague of mine who practiced in San Fran for 10 years and came back to medical school verified this for me. He said to focus on schools that are known as "centers". For example, UGA is known for international law and Georgetown is known for health law. Anyway, I know many people online believe medicine and law do not mesh; however, that is further from the truth than anything. I understand that the only way to truly impact medicine is through policy, and I want to be on the forefront.
All of this is basically wrong.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed May 07, 2014 3:23 pm

If you want to do law on any kind of a national level, you really need to go to a T14 because those are really the only schools with a national reach. If you just want to do local health policy, you should go to a flagship regional law school in the area where you want to practice.

Law school specialties are essentially meaningless with very few exceptions. The person who talked about "centers" has no idea what they are talking about.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed May 07, 2014 3:24 pm

you sound like some type of masochist. do you have any other reason to go to law school besides vague aspirations of working in "policy"?

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Wed May 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Disclosure: 0L.

I am so confused. Why do you need a JD and an MD?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:30 pm

What's your undergrad gpa?

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Wed May 07, 2014 3:30 pm

HRomanus wrote:Disclosure: 0L.

This

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed May 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Your MD/MPH will be more than enough for policy work. Don't burn 2-3 years of your life going for a JD that will have virtually no bearing on your career outcome, especially if you have to take on a lot of debt to do it.

Speaking of debt... you're a MD/MPH student, you probably have 300k+ debt already. A JD on top of that will put you up past half a million. If you want:
I am very interested in health policy and executive administration in health care as my ultimate goal, with policy being my main focus. My goal is neurosurgery
...a JD may actually hurt you, and at the very least takes a couple years away from your ability to work your way up to administration.

Health policy/administration isn't one of those career fields that willingly substitutes preftigious education for experience (unlike law or to a lesser extent, finance). You have to work your way up, and there's no substitute for being a (proven) chill guy that executives want to have in charge. In short, a guy with an MD/MPH and three years of progressively better work experience in the industry is unquestioningly going to beat a guy with a MD/MPH/JD.

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Wed May 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Emory moved up this year. You can call them a top 20 law school now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:39 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
HRomanus wrote:Disclosure: 0L.

This
+1. The only reason/benefit I see to getting a JD is if you plan on actually working as a heathcare law attorney. Otherwise virtually any other career you would be fine with a MD/MPH.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 07, 2014 3:56 pm

There is no difference in the content of legal education between state schools and private coastal schools. There are no schools that are "Centers" for a particular kind of law that is distinctly lacking at other schools (except maybe Nebraska in Space Law - lololol). Whoever gave you that impression is severely poorly informed, and should stop providing any form of law or graduate school-related advice.

You will learn the same material regardless of where you go to law school. The specialty rankings for health law are just advertising tools for TTT's, there is absolutely zero value to them, I guarantee it.

You do want to go to a "top" program so you can get a job, but you will learn the same amount of "state" and "Federal" law regardless. It is possible that your education may reflect a mild geographic preference - for example, between California and New York - but all the key common law cases are the same. Law school isn't about teaching yourself a specific area of law anyway, it's a generalist legal education. you learn shit on the job and when you study for a particular states' bar.

If you can get an MD, which it seems like you can, I would stick to that and not dive into this kleptocratic cesspool of self-doubt, self-hatred, alienation, spiraling vicious debt and failure that the noble study and practice of law has become in the United States.

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Wed May 07, 2014 4:04 pm

First, I am at a state school, and my MPH is free. I will come out with roughly 150k in debt when I graduate, maybe less. Also, I have not divulged my complete motivation for law, as that is hard to do over an online forum, but the gist is policy. I know an MPH sets me up for administration and policy; however, I would not feel comfortable navigating laws and policy with merely an MPH. I am getting a general MPH, not a policy focused MPH which makes me even more leery. A colleague of mine is a JD, as I said before. He ran into problems with lack of credentials, so he came to med school. While I know the backwards comparison is not very strong, but he is big in AIDS policy and we have spoken extensively about the dual degree. Basically the MD/JD sets me up in many ways to combine administration and policy. I know that experience trumps anything, but credentials help lay that foundation. I have spoken to MD/MBAs, Federal Judges, JDs, MD/JDs, and MDs who all say the JD is perfect. In fact, I spoke to a neurosurgeon last weekend who said get an MD/JD. Also, if I went to UM they give MD/JD students a minimum of half scholarship. If I made a 170+ I could possibly get a greater scholarship from them, or another school. Money is the least of my worries honestly. Not that I come from wealth, but I'm in medical school.. Virtually no one gets scholarships and everyone comes out with over 120k in debt. I am looking towards the future (20+ years), not the present 7 years.

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Wed May 07, 2014 4:06 pm

jbagelboy wrote:There is no difference in the content of legal education between state schools and private coastal schools. There are no schools that are "Centers" for a particular kind of law that is distinctly lacking at other schools (except maybe Nebraska in Space Law - lololol). Whoever gave you that impression is severely poorly informed, and should stop providing any form of law or graduate school-related advice.

You will learn the same material regardless of where you go to law school. The specialty rankings for health law are just advertising tools for TTT's, there is absolutely zero value to them, I guarantee it.

You do want to go to a "top" program so you can get a job, but you will learn the same amount of "state" and "Federal" law regardless. It is possible that your education may reflect a mild geographic preference - for example, between California and New York - but all the key common law cases are the same. Law school isn't about teaching yourself a specific area of law anyway, it's a generalist legal education. you learn shit on the job and when you study for a particular states' bar.

If you can get an MD, which it seems like you can, I would stick to that and not dive into this kleptocratic cesspool of self-doubt, self-hatred, alienation, spiraling vicious debt and failure that the noble study and practice of law has become in the United States.

So you are telling me that all schools have strong health law focuses? I think you are strongly mistaken. Look at Georgetown vs. UM or Stanford or any other school. They have a VERY strong focused health program. https://www.law.georgetown.edu/oneillinstitute/. I trust what these people tell me. They have been lawyers for 10+ years and went to very strong programs.

I appreciate the rest of this. Medicine has taken the same turn honestly, so I completely understand. I miss-spoke about the "focus" of schools. I meant more of a geographical focus. This person basically said going to Harvard would be a better bet than the Ole Miss, because Ole Miss trains mainly Mississippi lawyers where Harvard trains national lawyers. In the end, I would only attend law school if I get money to go. I don't need a full ride, but my ROI would be very low compared to medicine if I received no financial support. That is the other thing I am trying to figure out. How to at least make back what I take out for law school. Im not trying to make millions as a lawyer, but from a business/investment standpoint I need to make back what I take out.
Last edited by shcmike on Wed May 07, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Wed May 07, 2014 4:13 pm

shcmike wrote:First, I am at a state school, and my MPH is free. I will come out with roughly 150k in debt when I graduate, maybe less. Also, I have not divulged my complete motivation for law, as that is hard to do over an online forum, but the gist is policy. I know an MPH sets me up for administration and policy; however, I would not feel comfortable navigating laws and policy with merely an MPH. I am getting a general MPH, not a policy focused MPH which makes me even more leery. A colleague of mine is a JD, as I said before. He ran into problems with lack of credentials, so he came to med school. While I know the backwards comparison is not very strong, but he is big in AIDS policy and we have spoken extensively about the dual degree. Basically the MD/JD sets me up in many ways to combine administration and policy. I know that experience trumps anything, but credentials help lay that foundation. I have spoken to MD/MBAs, Federal Judges, JDs, MD/JDs, and MDs who all say the JD is perfect. In fact, I spoke to a neurosurgeon last weekend who said get an MD/JD. Also, if I went to UM they give MD/JD students a minimum of half scholarship. If I made a 170+ I could possibly get a greater scholarship from them, or another school. Money is the least of my worries honestly. Not that I come from wealth, but I'm in medical school.. Virtually no one gets scholarships and everyone comes out with over 120k in debt. I am looking towards the future (20+ years), not the present 7 years.
Disclosure: 0L.

Still seriously confused.

If you've sourced it the way you say, you shouldn't be asking for advice here. The TLS culture emphasizes ROI and risk management. It doesn't sound like your very narrow career goals justify the investment of time/money into a JD. For the record, $150k in debt is pretty large to be adding law school debt on top of it.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:13 pm

shcmike wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:There is no difference in the content of legal education between state schools and private coastal schools. There are no schools that are "Centers" for a particular kind of law that is distinctly lacking at other schools (except maybe Nebraska in Space Law - lololol). Whoever gave you that impression is severely poorly informed, and should stop providing any form of law or graduate school-related advice.

So you are telling me that all schools have strong health law focuses? I think you are strongly mistaken. Look at Georgetown vs. UM or Stanford or any other school. They have a VERY strong focused health program. https://www.law.georgetown.edu/oneillinstitute/. I trust what these people tell me. They have been lawyers for 10+ years and went to very strong programs.

I appreciate the rest of this. Medicine has taken the same turn honestly, so I completely understand. I miss-spoke about that. I meant more of a geographical focus. This person basically going to Harvard would be a better bet than the Ole Miss, because Ole Miss trains mainly Mississippi lawyers where Harvard trains national lawyers. In the end, I would only attend law school if I get money to go. I don't need a full ride, but my ROI would be very low compared to medicine if I received no financial support. That is the other thing I am trying to figure out. How to at least make back what I take out for law school. Im not trying to make millions as a lawyer. I want to change policy and impact medicine in the broader realm.
What exactly do you think a "health law" concentration gives you? Please show your work.

And the choice is usually not Old Miss v Harvard. It's Old Miss v Mercer, or Old Miss with no debt v American.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed May 07, 2014 4:15 pm

shcmike wrote:First, I am at a state school, and my MPH is free. I will come out with roughly 150k in debt when I graduate, maybe less. Also, I have not divulged my complete motivation for law, as that is hard to do over an online forum, but the gist is policy. I know an MPH sets me up for administration and policy; however, I would not feel comfortable navigating laws and policy with merely an MPH. I am getting a general MPH, not a policy focused MPH which makes me even more leery. A colleague of mine is a JD, as I said before. He ran into problems with lack of credentials, so he came to med school. While I know the backwards comparison is not very strong, but he is big in AIDS policy and we have spoken extensively about the dual degree. Basically the MD/JD sets me up in many ways to combine administration and policy. I know that experience trumps anything, but credentials help lay that foundation. I have spoken to MD/MBAs, Federal Judges, JDs, MD/JDs, and MDs who all say the JD is perfect. In fact, I spoke to a neurosurgeon last weekend who said get an MD/JD. Also, if I went to UM they give MD/JD students a minimum of half scholarship. If I made a 170+ I could possibly get a greater scholarship from them, or another school. Money is the least of my worries honestly. Not that I come from wealth, but I'm in medical school.. Virtually no one gets scholarships and everyone comes out with over 120k in debt. I am looking towards the future (20+ years), not the present 7 years.
Are these the same people who told you state law schools teach different things?

I know some JD/MDs and so I don't think your career goals are that crazy, but wow that debt plus all the time in school. But if you really want national level policy work in healthcare, aim for one of the top 10 schools.

And to all the 0Ls commenting, this is a fairly big field but requires a lot of credentials. I don't think the OP is that far off base, just doesn't understand what is taught in law school.

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Wed May 07, 2014 4:17 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
shcmike wrote:

I appreciate the rest of this. Medicine has taken the same turn honestly, so I completely understand. I miss-spoke about that. I meant more of a geographical focus. This person basically going to Harvard would be a better bet than the Ole Miss, because Ole Miss trains mainly Mississippi lawyers where Harvard trains national lawyers. In the end, I would only attend law school if I get money to go. I don't need a full ride, but my ROI would be very low compared to medicine if I received no financial support. That is the other thing I am trying to figure out. How to at least make back what I take out for law school. Im not trying to make millions as a lawyer. I want to change policy and impact medicine in the broader realm.
What exactly do you think a "health law" concentration gives you? Please show your work.

And the choice is usually not Old Miss v Harvard. It's Old Miss v Mercer, or Old Miss with no debt v American.
You're missing the point. I am not comparing based on rank or respect, I am comparing based on national vs state school. I am justifying a top school vs a non-top school.

Also, what do you mean "What does a health concentration give you"? I am confused. Basically, it gives me a focus on the career I am going into, where I can focus on health problems. These problems are very different than say, real estate law. It gives me a concentration that is tailored toward my future. Just as a major in Computer Science gives someone experience with programming, and a major in Finance gives you financial experience. I am missing the question you are trying to convey.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed May 07, 2014 4:18 pm

The problem is exactly that you've only been talking to people that have been out of school for 10+ years. Ten years ago, people graduating from regional law schools were being hunted down to work in biglaw, tuition was less than half of what it is today, and jobs like the ones you're describing were readily available for people with JD/MDs because both degrees were just so damn flexible.

That said, if you want to be a professional student (which is okay), then make sure you go with as little debt as physically possible. I would definitely do UM on a full ride, though Boston University and GWU offer full rides to their accepted ED applicants as well. I think you can actually have your cake and eat it too if you ED to GWU PT for the full ride and work during the day in DC.

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Wed May 07, 2014 4:25 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Are these the same people who told you state law schools teach different things?

I know some JD/MDs and so I don't think your career goals are that crazy, but wow that debt plus all the time in school. But if you really want national level policy work in healthcare, aim for one of the top 10 schools.

And to all the 0Ls commenting, this is a fairly big field but requires a lot of credentials. I don't think the OP is that far off base, just doesn't understand what is taught in law school.
One person who went to Michigan told me that about the focus. She was a lawyer 10+ years, and she mentioned the top school thing. In my mind a JD for me is like an MBA, where the MD really carries the weight and the JD or MBA are just credentials. However, she said that the name of the JD means more than the paper, which is something I never knew. That is one reason why I was okay with UM.

My colleague in med school mentioned the centers, and he told me about a few other places. Since I went to a Jesuit school, GT is our Harvard, so I knew people who went there and I knew what they had to offer. Basically, he was saying go to a school that has a focus you are interested in. That is why he mentioned Stanford (Biotech), Georgetown (Health policy), and I like Northwestern (business focus).

I agree with you 100%. The debt is stifling; however, I know plenty of people who will be taking out over 300k just for med school. I could get all 3 for less. Honestly, I don't completely understand what is taught in law school. My focus has been medicine my whole life, so law is fairly new to me. Credentials are everything in medicine. A JD is basically a PhD for policy in medicine. Also, it sets you up to become a high level executive in a health care corp. For example, the CEO of CVS is a MD/JD. I have spoken to a mentor of mine who has been a MD/MBA for 30+ years, and has had many high level positions. He even said the JD would be a good route for me, because I was sold on MBA for years. I am very business minded, and have started businesses in undergrad so I constantly think about that.

To be fair, they never said they taught different things. I know that schools have a basic general core curriculum. They just said the focus is different. State vs national law, and further focus on your interests like corporate, real estate, health law, etc.

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Wed May 07, 2014 4:27 pm

twenty wrote:The problem is exactly that you've only been talking to people that have been out of school for 10+ years. Ten years ago, people graduating from regional law schools were being hunted down to work in biglaw, tuition was less than half of what it is today, and jobs like the ones you're describing were readily available for people with JD/MDs because both degrees were just so damn flexible.

That said, if you want to be a professional student (which is okay), then make sure you go with as little debt as physically possible. I would definitely do UM on a full ride, though Boston University and GWU offer full rides to their accepted ED applicants as well. I think you can actually have your cake and eat it too if you ED to GWU PT for the full ride and work during the day in DC.

Thank you for the advice. I actually have a friend at GWU right now. I just spoke to them to see what I can do with a JD in the future. They just gave me advice based on their law experiences. My speaking to them was to get a better idea of how to marry the MD and JD together in a meaningful way.

Professional student, no. I am ready to make money haha; however, I want to set myself up for what I want to do. What better time to do that than in my mid 20s with no wife or kids. I know that if I don't do it now, I never will. That is why I am seeking advice now.

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Wed May 07, 2014 4:30 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:you sound like some type of masochist. do you have any other reason to go to law school besides vague aspirations of working in "policy"?
You honestly think that would be my only reason? Why would I waste an extra 3 years of my life, and potentially over a million $ in salary if I didn't have some motivation beyond just a vague description of policy. I think I am already some sort of masochist for being in med school.. Its just the way of the world.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:35 pm

shcmike wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
shcmike wrote:

You're missing the point. I am not comparing based on rank or respect, I am comparing based on national vs state school. I am justifying a top school vs a non-top school.

Also, what do you mean "What does a health concentration give you"? I am confused. Basically, it gives me a focus on the career I am going into, where I can focus on health problems. These problems are very different than say, real estate law. It gives me a concentration that is tailored toward my future. Just as a major in Computer Science gives someone experience with programming, and a major in Finance gives you financial experience. I am missing the question you are trying to convey.
I mean, the answer to your first question is obvious, but not because the experience is that different, it's because the job prospects are wildly different.

As a tangible matter, what does the Georgetown health law concentration give you that Penn Law without the concentration does not? How will your day-to-day experience be different? How many additional health law classes does Georgetown have, how many health law professors, how many clinics? And the most important question: will employers give a shit and why will they give a shit?

You're assuming that the word concentration means something because a law school said it and why would a law school lie? We're telling you the word might mean nothing. It's a marketing pitch.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Wed May 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Did you just come here to ask your questions but ignore all of the advice?

If you doubt the people telling you concentrations are useless (again, if that's the case why are you here?), why don't you look at lawschooltransparency.com. If these high-ranking specialties schools were really the go-to place for their respective specialties, don't you think their employment stats would be a little higher? Why does American, #5 in International Law (!!!!!) only put 44% of its graduates into lawyer positions?

According to the illustrious US News and World Report, the top 4 "health care law" specialty schools are:
University of Maryland (Carey)
St. Louis University
Case Western Reserve University
Loyola University Chicago

Does any of this look ok to you?

Even if you're just getting a JD as a "credential" and don't want an attorney position, don't you think you should listen to the people on the forum you came to ask for help? Law school information has come a long way. Don't sit back and take the word of people who haven't even seen a law school since before the bottom fell out of the legal market.

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Did you just come here to ask your questions but ignore all of the advice?

If you doubt the people telling you concentrations are useless (again, if that's the case why are you here?), why don't you look at lawschooltransparency.com. If these high-ranking specialties schools were really the go-to place for their respective specialties, don't you think their employment stats would be a little higher? Why does American, #5 in International Law (!!!!!) only put 44% of its graduates into lawyer positions?

According to the illustrious US News and World Report, the top 4 "health care law" specialty schools are:
University of Maryland (Carey)
St. Louis University
Case Western Reserve University
Loyola University Chicago

Does any of this look ok to you?

Even if you're just getting a JD as a "credential" and don't want an attorney position, don't you think you should listen to the people on the forum you came to ask for help? Law school information has come a long way. Don't sit back and take the word of people who haven't even seen a law school since before the bottom fell out of the legal market.
I agree, thanks for calling me out. I just didn't like the way some of it was approached. Also, I haven't focused on top health law programs. I've tried to correlate national rank with the health rank. I was just making the point that these centers exist, where people basically told me I was completely off. Also, yeah I should listen to those in the heat of law school now; however, those who practice law have a good bering on the future potential of a JD and should not be completely written off.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Wed May 07, 2014 5:05 pm

There are substantive differences of course selections at law schools, but it's only useful post 1L.

On a bright note, if OP gets an accounting degree after he can corner the Jewish mother's dream market.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”