Question on direction of law school choices. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HRomanus

Silver

Re: Question on direction of law school choices.

Post by HRomanus » Thu May 08, 2014 10:45 am

shcmike wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I really can't see the added value of the JD here, and I'm married to a resident and my sister in law has both an MD and a JD. (Does not use her JD in any way, shape or form.) Your JD may provide some marginal benefit if you decide to get into "policy" but not enough to justify the lost time and cost. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze, man.
Yeah, I totally understand. Its interesting because some people marry the degrees well, and others do not. My ability to use the degree would be more after residency anyway, so my JD training at that point would probably be meaningless.
This move just doesn't make any sense as an investment. Even if you receive a full ride, you're giving up three years of your life for a degree that will only marginally benefit you. At the least, you will lose three years on your medical career, including income and experience. There may be possible career tracks that make that investment pay off, but they are so unlikely that you're crazy for taking them - especially when you are already in a solid, desirable, lucrative career path.

Stop the madness!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu May 08, 2014 10:53 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
shcmike wrote:For what its worth, here is part of one of the email's I have received about advice, and where I got the idea about focus of T14:

"The only real issue that I think you would need to consider before signing up for law school is that you would need to go to a top school to truly benefit your plans. Here is the issue: most state schools tend to be more about training lawyers to practice in their state. In other words, they are mainly teaching what is called "black letter law," i.e., in Florida there are 4 types of alimony, yada yada. At a top tier school where many graduates leave the state, they teach theory and analysis of federal laws because (a) there is no point in teaching the state's law because many students won't benefit when they leave the state upon graduation and (b) they assume you can learn the "black letter law" on your own when you study for the state bar you chose to take. The University of Chicago is known for their economics & law focus. The University of Michigan, where I went, has a focus on law & public interest topics. So, you would really need to do some homework into what types of classes are offered at the law schools you apply to. I really don't think you would get enough bang for your buck going to your local state law school that is focused on churning out basic lawyers."
Yeah, this really isn't true. I went to a state school in the lower T1. You learn exactly what you learn anywhere else. The course offerings are pretty much the same everywhere. I did take one class that focused on the state law (local government), but it wasn't required and everyone who took it was interested in working for the state's government.

I mean, law is completely prestige-driven and there are a lot of reasons to go to a top-ranked school (i.e. not mine), but the quality of the education and what you learn isn't one of them.
Yeah, that's actually a complaint I've heard about regional schools - not ENOUGH practical education on state law. Also...psst... Michigan is a state school.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:02 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
shcmike wrote:For what its worth, here is part of one of the email's I have received about advice, and where I got the idea about focus of T14:

"The only real issue that I think you would need to consider before signing up for law school is that you would need to go to a top school to truly benefit your plans. Here is the issue: most state schools tend to be more about training lawyers to practice in their state. In other words, they are mainly teaching what is called "black letter law," i.e., in Florida there are 4 types of alimony, yada yada. At a top tier school where many graduates leave the state, they teach theory and analysis of federal laws because (a) there is no point in teaching the state's law because many students won't benefit when they leave the state upon graduation and (b) they assume you can learn the "black letter law" on your own when you study for the state bar you chose to take. The University of Chicago is known for their economics & law focus. The University of Michigan, where I went, has a focus on law & public interest topics. So, you would really need to do some homework into what types of classes are offered at the law schools you apply to. I really don't think you would get enough bang for your buck going to your local state law school that is focused on churning out basic lawyers."
Yeah, this really isn't true. I went to a state school in the lower T1. You learn exactly what you learn anywhere else. The course offerings are pretty much the same everywhere. I did take one class that focused on the state law (local government), but it wasn't required and everyone who took it was interested in working for the state's government.

I mean, law is completely prestige-driven and there are a lot of reasons to go to a top-ranked school (i.e. not mine), but the quality of the education and what you learn isn't one of them.
Yeah, that's actually a complaint I've heard about regional schools - not ENOUGH practical education on state law. Also...psst... Michigan is a state school.
FWIW there was a state and local government class at my T6 too. As for the 1L courses, everyone teaches to the UCC, MPC, and other uniform statutes because that what the course materials are geared toward and what the law professors focus on. There's very little legal scholarship on matters of state law.

Casiobashio

New

Post by Casiobashio » Thu May 08, 2014 5:45 pm

shcmike wrote: You learn virtually nothing from medical school. It is residency where you learn things, so it is very similar. It is "real world experience" where you learn medicine.
It is not similar at all. All of 3rd year of medical school is one long practice run for being a generalist. By the time you graduate medical school you will feel comfortable taking care of a ward of patients with common medical problems under minimal supervision.

Neurosurgery, you are correct, is all learned in residency. You seem like somebody who is literally obsessed with prestige, or maybe watched too much Sanjay Gupta on CNN (who, by the way, does not have a JD). Why the hell would you want to be a Neurosurgeon if your goal is to be on the forefront of health policy in america? Neurosurgery is a 7 year hellish residency program where you learn the highly specific skill set of operating on the brain and spinal cord. Your residency will be a string of 80+ hour work weeks, by the end of which you will remember virtually nothing about general medicine, and you probably wont care at all about law. You will be an expert at the microdiscectomy and craniotomy though.

Your plan might make sense if you were choosing internal medicine/family/pediatrics and you wanted to focus on health policy for a particular demographic. Or if you wanted to start a medical-legal partnership for low income populations. Hell, even general surgery would be defensible, if you see yourself as a young Atul Gawande (again, no JD).

To be clear...MD/MPH = 5 years. JD = 3 years. Neurosurgery residency = 7 years. And you sound like the kinda guy who would then go for the spine fellowship, so lets tag on an extra year to be safe. You are looking at a about 16 years of post-bachelor training. If you started medical school right after college, you will be 38 years old before you have your first job that pays higher than minimum wage for your hours. This job will likely be as an attending on a neurosurgery service, and have almost nothing to do with law or policy, because it will have been 8-9 years since you graduated law school and you will be in debt. You won't turn down that 300k+ assistant professor salary.

Just skip the law school part, bust your ass on Step 1 and 3rd year clerkships, publish some badass neurosurgery research and get into a top residency. Get involved in the american association of neurologic surgeons, and use the MPH as your stepping stone into a policy position from within the AAMC. At that point if your career is held up due to a lack of JD I will literally eat my hat.

Casiobashio

New

Post by Casiobashio » Sat May 10, 2014 1:28 am

Awwww, i was hoping this would trigger a response. I was all riled up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Onomatopoeia

Gold

Post by Onomatopoeia » Sat May 10, 2014 1:37 am

Casiobashio wrote:Awwww, i was hoping this would trigger a response. I was all riled up.
Why? Seems like sticking with medicine and excelling in that field would be better for his goals than getting a jd

Casiobashio

New

Post by Casiobashio » Sat May 10, 2014 1:43 am

BornAgain99 wrote:
Casiobashio wrote:Awwww, i was hoping this would trigger a response. I was all riled up.
Why? Seems like sticking with medicine and excelling in that field would be better for his goals than getting a jd
I meant that I was hoping for a response from OP. I was curious to hear his reasoning for choosing neurosurgery given his stated goals, but it seems like he has departed (hopefully focusing on medical school!).

Onomatopoeia

Gold

Post by Onomatopoeia » Sat May 10, 2014 1:48 am

Casiobashio wrote:
BornAgain99 wrote:
I meant that I was hoping for a response from OP. I was curious to hear his reasoning for choosing neurosurgery given his stated goals, but it seems like he has departed (hopefully focusing on medical school!).
You think he could get involved in 'policy' without the neurosurgery speciality? Probably.

Personally I'd be interested in the prestige and money of that route and the policy work would flow from that in the way you outlined. A win win win, if you will

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Mon May 12, 2014 10:36 am

Casiobashio wrote:
shcmike wrote: You learn virtually nothing from medical school. It is residency where you learn things, so it is very similar. It is "real world experience" where you learn medicine.
It is not similar at all. All of 3rd year of medical school is one long practice run for being a generalist. By the time you graduate medical school you will feel comfortable taking care of a ward of patients with common medical problems under minimal supervision.

Neurosurgery, you are correct, is all learned in residency. You seem like somebody who is literally obsessed with prestige, or maybe watched too much Sanjay Gupta on CNN (who, by the way, does not have a JD). Why the hell would you want to be a Neurosurgeon if your goal is to be on the forefront of health policy in america? Neurosurgery is a 7 year hellish residency program where you learn the highly specific skill set of operating on the brain and spinal cord. Your residency will be a string of 80+ hour work weeks, by the end of which you will remember virtually nothing about general medicine, and you probably wont care at all about law. You will be an expert at the microdiscectomy and craniotomy though.

Your plan might make sense if you were choosing internal medicine/family/pediatrics and you wanted to focus on health policy for a particular demographic. Or if you wanted to start a medical-legal partnership for low income populations. Hell, even general surgery would be defensible, if you see yourself as a young Atul Gawande (again, no JD).

To be clear...MD/MPH = 5 years. JD = 3 years. Neurosurgery residency = 7 years. And you sound like the kinda guy who would then go for the spine fellowship, so lets tag on an extra year to be safe. You are looking at a about 16 years of post-bachelor training. If you started medical school right after college, you will be 38 years old before you have your first job that pays higher than minimum wage for your hours. This job will likely be as an attending on a neurosurgery service, and have almost nothing to do with law or policy, because it will have been 8-9 years since you graduated law school and you will be in debt. You won't turn down that 300k+ assistant professor salary.

Just skip the law school part, bust your ass on Step 1 and 3rd year clerkships, publish some badass neurosurgery research and get into a top residency. Get involved in the american association of neurologic surgeons, and use the MPH as your stepping stone into a policy position from within the AAMC. At that point if your career is held up due to a lack of JD I will literally eat my hat.

Studying all weekend, so I abandoned this for a few days. First off, I am in a 4-year MD/MPH, so I get both at the same time. Also, I am interested in spine; however, I am more interested in academics, because my research focus is on spinal cord injury. Neurosurgery has enfolded fellowships unless you do endovascular, which I am not interested in pursuing, or peds, which I am interested in. I don't watch CNN, but I know who you are speaking about; however, he is FAR from my idol. You may also appreciate this article in the NY times called "Is There a Doctor in the House? Yes, 17. And 3 in the Senate". I am not interested in this solely for money; however, I do want to live comfortably and provide for my future family, as we all do. Honestly, there are a lot more things I could pursue for the potential of higher returns, especially in the wake of health care reform uncertainty.

A JD comes in handy in research and administration. I am very interested in woking at the University of Miami, and my ultimate goal is working with the Miami Project. I want to help cure paralysis. This is what initially got me involved in neurosurgery. It amazed me to see someone with minimal functionality and movement regain that due to surgery. I look up to a guy named Barth Green, Paul Fellers, and Pedro Greer. Health policy spans WAY more than merely primary care. Every section of medicine has a different focused patient population, and policy reaches each of these people individually. I have done a lot of work abroad, and my focus has, and will always be, Latin America, hence my love of Miami. My focus has changed from international work to work domestically, because health poverty is largely overlooked here. In medicine it is "sexy" to work abroad. True change does not happen by me helping one patient at an outreach I do one week out of the year, like international medicine achieves. Surgery is a good field to help make a lasting change for obvious reasons, but it is so minimal in its impact. As I said in my PS for medical school, healing one person changes their world; however, I want to have a far reaching impact. I do not want to be on CNN, or some BS reality show about physicians.. I want to do this for me, and for those people I am helping. Policy experience would help me be able to tailor policies, funds, medical resources, etc. to the population I help. A JD may not be necessary; however, I want to vet all my options, especially with the opportunities I have been afforded. I am a life-long learner, and want to be educated as much as possible to ensure that I achieve MY goals. My family always put the main focus on education as I grew up, which I take to heart, because my parents did not go to college. A JD is something I am considering if it actually gives me the tools I need to impact my patients in the way I hope to impact them. If it does not, then I will not get one. My goal is not to practice medicine in the sense that I do not want to solely do surgery my whole life. Eventually, I want to transition into an administrative role. I have considered a MBA for years, and am going to get one if I do not get a JD. The JD has been more of an after thought knowing that the degree would set me up for administration, while also setting me up in a greater way to influence policy. However, if the MPH would suffice, then hell I wouldn't mind saving 1-2 years and getting a MBA. As of now, I just feel like the MPH may not give me all the skills I need, but the true skills are probably learned through experience.

I am interested in neurosurgery for many reasons, and I currently do research with a few neurosurgeons at my school. At the end of medical school you are not trained as a generalist.. That is far from the truth. You do have some idea of how medicine works, and have some VERY minimal ability to practice alone, but you are not good enough to be alone, hence residency. You have basically learned the language, but your true critical thinking skills are built after medicine. To me that seems much like law school, where you learn the basics of law and interpretation but you learn concrete skills in the field. If that was the case for medicine, it would be like dental school, where you could practice alone after 4 years. Also, the last thing you said I agree with 100%. Academic medicine is much like law it sounds like, where name means more than anything. Everyone wants to recruit Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, etc. trained physicians in academics, which sounds a lot like people have described for law.

The main predicament is that I would probably forget what I learned in law school by the time I could truly use it; however, I have heard residencies will recruit people based on extra degrees, because it is basically an added free bonus to have someone versed in business or law as a resident. However, there is NO way I would get a JD based on that. I definitely need to see it as something that works into my future. When thinking about things of this nature, I definitely am the type of person that looks into the future; however, my focus of the future extends WAY beyond my 30s, where many people's view does not. Again, it sounds like if I would not use it until 20-30+ years down the line, that it would probably be a waste of time on many levels.

I am merely gauging the usefulness of a JD now, and am actually meeting with an attending at my school who has a MD/JD. It seems like he may dissuade me from it based on our emails, and he received his after he was an MD. I definitely do not want to rush into a decision, because it is a HUGE financial and time commitment. From what I have heard from the residents I work with, it could be a million+ dollar decision in terms of future salary from practicing neurosurgery, and graduating with 150k+ in debt makes me want to be sure that the loss is worth it. Regardless of my track, I will be in my mid 30s when I finish. I took 2 years off before school started, as many of my peers do, so time is definitely on my mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 am

BornAgain99 wrote:
Casiobashio wrote:
BornAgain99 wrote:
You think he could get involved in 'policy' without the neurosurgery speciality? Probably.

Personally I'd be interested in the prestige and money of that route and the policy work would flow from that in the way you outlined. A win win win, if you will
Prestige and money play into it for sure, but are not even close to the main reasons. Medical school is way to difficult and stressful, along with residency, balancing family, and hours as an attending to look at those things as the main factors. Reimbursements are changing, and the future is unknown. I would love to have that flow too, but life never works out that way.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon May 12, 2014 10:45 am

I can't emphasize enough that you are overvaluing the need and usefulness of a JD. If 20 years from now you can't get what you want without a JD, go to law school then.
You are just wrong about needing a law degree to understand policy and how little law school will teach you what you want to know.

If you feel 3rd and 4th years of medical school aren't practical enough, imagine medical school without them at all. That is what law school is like. Maybe a person will do one or two clinics, but that is nowhere near two years of school. If medical schools did 2 years and then straight to residency, that would be equivalent to law school.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:46 am

OP, after you get your JD and MBA, are you considering getting a CPA too? I mean, it doesn't have anything to do with medicine either, but hey, more qualifications can't hurt, right?

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Mon May 12, 2014 3:57 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:OP, after you get your JD and MBA, are you considering getting a CPA too? I mean, it doesn't have anything to do with medicine either, but hey, more qualifications can't hurt, right?
Honestly, your ignorant if you do not think law, medicine, and business are interrelated.. I mean wow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Mon May 12, 2014 4:08 pm

shcmike wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:OP, after you get your JD and MBA, are you considering getting a CPA too? I mean, it doesn't have anything to do with medicine either, but hey, more qualifications can't hurt, right?
Honestly, your ignorant if you do not think law, medicine, and business are interrelated.. I mean wow.
This has got to be a flame response. There's no way OP is so much of an idiot he thinks getting an MD, JD, MBA, and CPA makes sense in any universe.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon May 12, 2014 4:11 pm

shcmike wrote:
Of course everything's interconnected, bro. We're all made of stars, so better get a Ph.D in astrophysics, too.

That three fields have some relation doesn't make it wise to spend 15 years of your life and 200-500k to get academic training in three different disciplines. If it's your life's calling, well, good luck.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:34 pm

shcmike wrote:
top kek

Casiobashio

New

Post by Casiobashio » Mon May 12, 2014 6:11 pm

shcmike wrote: Studying all weekend, so I abandoned this for a few days. First off, I am in a 4-year MD/MPH, so I get both at the same time. Also, I am interested in spine; however, I am more interested in academics, because my research focus is on spinal cord injury. Neurosurgery has enfolded fellowships unless you do endovascular, which I am not interested in pursuing, or peds, which I am interested in. I don't watch CNN, but I know who you are speaking about; however, he is FAR from my idol. You may also appreciate this article in the NY times called "Is There a Doctor in the House? Yes, 17. And 3 in the Senate". I am not interested in this solely for money; however, I do want to live comfortably and provide for my future family, as we all do. Honestly, there are a lot more things I could pursue for the potential of higher returns, especially in the wake of health care reform uncertainty.

A JD comes in handy in research and administration. I am very interested in woking at the University of Miami, and my ultimate goal is working with the Miami Project. I want to help cure paralysis. This is what initially got me involved in neurosurgery. It amazed me to see someone with minimal functionality and movement regain that due to surgery. I look up to a guy named Barth Green, Paul Fellers, and Pedro Greer. Health policy spans WAY more than merely primary care. Every section of medicine has a different focused patient population, and policy reaches each of these people individually. I have done a lot of work abroad, and my focus has, and will always be, Latin America, hence my love of Miami. My focus has changed from international work to work domestically, because health poverty is largely overlooked here. In medicine it is "sexy" to work abroad. True change does not happen by me helping one patient at an outreach I do one week out of the year, like international medicine achieves. Surgery is a good field to help make a lasting change for obvious reasons, but it is so minimal in its impact. As I said in my PS for medical school, healing one person changes their world; however, I want to have a far reaching impact. I do not want to be on CNN, or some BS reality show about physicians.. I want to do this for me, and for those people I am helping. Policy experience would help me be able to tailor policies, funds, medical resources, etc. to the population I help. A JD may not be necessary; however, I want to vet all my options, especially with the opportunities I have been afforded. I am a life-long learner, and want to be educated as much as possible to ensure that I achieve MY goals. My family always put the main focus on education as I grew up, which I take to heart, because my parents did not go to college. A JD is something I am considering if it actually gives me the tools I need to impact my patients in the way I hope to impact them. If it does not, then I will not get one. My goal is not to practice medicine in the sense that I do not want to solely do surgery my whole life. Eventually, I want to transition into an administrative role. I have considered a MBA for years, and am going to get one if I do not get a JD. The JD has been more of an after thought knowing that the degree would set me up for administration, while also setting me up in a greater way to influence policy. However, if the MPH would suffice, then hell I wouldn't mind saving 1-2 years and getting a MBA. As of now, I just feel like the MPH may not give me all the skills I need, but the true skills are probably learned through experience.

I am interested in neurosurgery for many reasons, and I currently do research with a few neurosurgeons at my school. At the end of medical school you are not trained as a generalist.. That is far from the truth. You do have some idea of how medicine works, and have some VERY minimal ability to practice alone, but you are not good enough to be alone, hence residency. You have basically learned the language, but your true critical thinking skills are built after medicine. To me that seems much like law school, where you learn the basics of law and interpretation but you learn concrete skills in the field. If that was the case for medicine, it would be like dental school, where you could practice alone after 4 years. Also, the last thing you said I agree with 100%. Academic medicine is much like law it sounds like, where name means more than anything. Everyone wants to recruit Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, etc. trained physicians in academics, which sounds a lot like people have described for law.

The main predicament is that I would probably forget what I learned in law school by the time I could truly use it; however, I have heard residencies will recruit people based on extra degrees, because it is basically an added free bonus to have someone versed in business or law as a resident. However, there is NO way I would get a JD based on that. I definitely need to see it as something that works into my future. When thinking about things of this nature, I definitely am the type of person that looks into the future; however, my focus of the future extends WAY beyond my 30s, where many people's view does not. Again, it sounds like if I would not use it until 20-30+ years down the line, that it would probably be a waste of time on many levels.

I am merely gauging the usefulness of a JD now, and am actually meeting with an attending at my school who has a MD/JD. It seems like he may dissuade me from it based on our emails, and he received his after he was an MD. I definitely do not want to rush into a decision, because it is a HUGE financial and time commitment. From what I have heard from the residents I work with, it could be a million+ dollar decision in terms of future salary from practicing neurosurgery, and graduating with 150k+ in debt makes me want to be sure that the loss is worth it. Regardless of my track, I will be in my mid 30s when I finish. I took 2 years off before school started, as many of my peers do, so time is definitely on my mind.
So I think I should just be forthright and tell you that I am a 4th year medical student using my roommates top-law-schools log in. She showed me your posting originally and we had a good laugh at first, so i responded snarkily......but really based on your responses you seem like a top notch kind of dude. Your intentions are pure. Which is why you probably shouldn't go to law school at all, but DEFINITELY not during medical school. My goodness. Sure- a neurosurgery program would be really intrigued that one of their applicants has a JD....that may in fact be entirely unique in their applicant pool. However, in such a small field, the very top programs are going to care SO very much about your clinical clerkship grades, your step 1 score, letters of rec from the senior neurosurgeons at your school, commitment to the field, etc, etc (you've heard it all before). Also, taking three years off between clerkships/step 2 and applications? Will be tricky to stay fresh with a head full of contracts and torts (and misery).

You say that you have been working diligently towards becoming a neurosurgeon in many ways, but as of now you haven't even taken a class that matters to residency programs, nor have you taken the steps.

The best thing that you can do for your career is to land a top tier neurosurgery residency. I'm talking MGH, JH, UCSF, NYP. How many spots do they have each year? Not many. You need to have all of your ducks in a row. While working towards your MPH (which I presume you will have to do this summer as a 4 year program), you will obviously make your project a combination of public health policy and neurosurgery. You are already a goodhearted special snowflake in the pool of neurosurgery applicants.

If you excel in a highly academic neurosurg program, the world of policy for people with neurologic conditions will be in your lap. Heck, if you excel in a run-of-the-mill neurosurgery program, you the world of policy will be in your lap. How many neurosurgeons, honestly, are basing their careers around law and policy for people who are paralyzed? How many neurosurgeons are even trained each year? Now imagine if 6th year resident at MGH or Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at X hospital wants to get involved in nonprofit orgs that help/research paralysis patients?

Also -- why not Neurology? 3 years less of training, spend time interfacing with patients during recovery, considerably easier to get into a top residency program... Seems to make some sense to me given your overall goals, but surgeons are a different breed that I often don't full understand.

You don't need a JD man. Law school is long and grueling, just like med school will be. You will learn more in your 3rd year of medical school than you ever dreamed possible. If you have done your due diligence and are absolutely positive that your dream job somehow requires you to be a lawyer, at least wait until after your training and do a part-time program so you can remember what the hell you studied.

Best of luck. Just please rethink law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Tue May 13, 2014 2:59 pm

Casiobashio wrote:
shcmike wrote: Studying all weekend, so I abandoned this for a few days. First off, I am in a 4-year MD/MPH, so I get both at the same time. Also, I am interested in spine; however, I am more interested in academics, because my research focus is on spinal cord injury. Neurosurgery has enfolded fellowships unless you do endovascular, which I am not interested in pursuing, or peds, which I am interested in. I don't watch CNN, but I know who you are speaking about; however, he is FAR from my idol. You may also appreciate this article in the NY times called "Is There a Doctor in the House? Yes, 17. And 3 in the Senate". I am not interested in this solely for money; however, I do want to live comfortably and provide for my future family, as we all do. Honestly, there are a lot more things I could pursue for the potential of higher returns, especially in the wake of health care reform uncertainty.

So I think I should just be forthright and tell you that I am a 4th year medical student using my roommates top-law-schools log in. She showed me your posting originally and we had a good laugh at first, so i responded snarkily......but really based on your responses you seem like a top notch kind of dude. Your intentions are pure. Which is why you probably shouldn't go to law school at all, but DEFINITELY not during medical school. My goodness. Sure- a neurosurgery program would be really intrigued that one of their applicants has a JD....that may in fact be entirely unique in their applicant pool. However, in such a small field, the very top programs are going to care SO very much about your clinical clerkship grades, your step 1 score, letters of rec from the senior neurosurgeons at your school, commitment to the field, etc, etc (you've heard it all before). Also, taking three years off between clerkships/step 2 and applications? Will be tricky to stay fresh with a head full of contracts and torts (and misery).

You say that you have been working diligently towards becoming a neurosurgeon in many ways, but as of now you haven't even taken a class that matters to residency programs, nor have you taken the steps.

The best thing that you can do for your career is to land a top tier neurosurgery residency. I'm talking MGH, JH, UCSF, NYP. How many spots do they have each year? Not many. You need to have all of your ducks in a row. While working towards your MPH (which I presume you will have to do this summer as a 4 year program), you will obviously make your project a combination of public health policy and neurosurgery. You are already a goodhearted special snowflake in the pool of neurosurgery applicants.

If you excel in a highly academic neurosurg program, the world of policy for people with neurologic conditions will be in your lap. Heck, if you excel in a run-of-the-mill neurosurgery program, you the world of policy will be in your lap. How many neurosurgeons, honestly, are basing their careers around law and policy for people who are paralyzed? How many neurosurgeons are even trained each year? Now imagine if 6th year resident at MGH or Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at X hospital wants to get involved in nonprofit orgs that help/research paralysis patients?

Also -- why not Neurology? 3 years less of training, spend time interfacing with patients during recovery, considerably easier to get into a top residency program... Seems to make some sense to me given your overall goals, but surgeons are a different breed that I often don't full understand.

You don't need a JD man. Law school is long and grueling, just like med school will be. You will learn more in your 3rd year of medical school than you ever dreamed possible. If you have done your due diligence and are absolutely positive that your dream job somehow requires you to be a lawyer, at least wait until after your training and do a part-time program so you can remember what the hell you studied.

Best of luck. Just please rethink law school.
Yeah, I am not completely sold on the law school idea; however, I do want to fully weigh my options. I agree and understand everything you are speaking about. Since I took a couple years off before starting med school, I research what I needed to do to get where I need to be, shadowed, and now work closely with some PGY3-5 neurosurgeons. After this form, I definitely do see the utility in waiting until I am an attending. I don't want to spend all the time to acquire the JD, unless it is necessary. I want to ensure that the ROI is worth it, but in doing so I needed to seek advice out from people in the trenches. I total understand/agree with the med/law school grind. Hell, I haven't felt 100% myself emotionally on a steady basis because of the stress. One day you are happy and normal, the next you're stressed to the max, the next you're depressed, etc.

Neurology is just not my thing. With the nervous system, to me, it seems like its more of an interventional organ system. It seems like neurologists are just drug pushers. Plus, I'm a surgeon.. It's the only field I have ever wanted, since I wanted to become a physician. I wanted ortho for the longest time, but recently it feels boring to me. Neurosurgery is a "new" field in terms of science knowledge, so it will definitely be cutting edge. Also, I have been learning Bioinformatics, so it will be cool to apply that to our field. My school has like one of 2 of the most renown Bioinformaticists, which is pretty cool. Also, the research I am working on now is pretty cutting edge in the field of SCI, so the possibilities are endless. Since you are a 4th year, what are you hoping to match in.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. It definitely means a lot, and is what I needed to truly understand the field.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Tue May 13, 2014 3:14 pm

shcmike wrote:Neurology is just not my thing. With the nervous system, to me, it seems like its more of an interventional organ system. It seems like neurologists are just drug pushers. Plus, I'm a surgeon.. It's the only field I have ever wanted, since I wanted to become a physician. I wanted ortho for the longest time, but recently it feels boring to me. Neurosurgery is a "new" field in terms of science knowledge, so it will definitely be cutting edge. Also, I have been learning Bioinformatics, so it will be cool to apply that to our field. My school has like one of 2 of the most renown Bioinformaticists, which is pretty cool. Also, the research I am working on now is pretty cutting edge in the field of SCI, so the possibilities are endless. Since you are a 4th year, what are you hoping to match in.
This paragraph explains a lot. You have always wanted to be a surgeon...but now it's boring. Then trendy neurosurgey caught your eye...but you don't like it. And now you're learning Bioinformatics because it's cool? It sounds like you are unsatisfied with your current academic/professional life and that is why you want to go to law school. Don't waste your time. Don't waste your life as a professional student.

shcmike

New

Post by shcmike » Tue May 13, 2014 6:34 pm

HRomanus wrote:
shcmike wrote:Neurology is just not my thing. With the nervous system, to me, it seems like its more of an interventional organ system. It seems like neurologists are just drug pushers. Plus, I'm a surgeon.. It's the only field I have ever wanted, since I wanted to become a physician. I wanted ortho for the longest time, but recently it feels boring to me. Neurosurgery is a "new" field in terms of science knowledge, so it will definitely be cutting edge. Also, I have been learning Bioinformatics, so it will be cool to apply that to our field. My school has like one of 2 of the most renown Bioinformaticists, which is pretty cool. Also, the research I am working on now is pretty cutting edge in the field of SCI, so the possibilities are endless. Since you are a 4th year, what are you hoping to match in.
This paragraph explains a lot. You have always wanted to be a surgeon...but now it's boring. Then trendy neurosurgey caught your eye...but you don't like it. And now you're learning Bioinformatics because it's cool? It sounds like you are unsatisfied with your current academic/professional life and that is why you want to go to law school. Don't waste your time. Don't waste your life as a professional student.
Haha okay, whatever you say. I just enjoy learning, so I learned how to program and learned how to apply it to my research, and improving workflow in the hospital. Also, I said ortho was boring, so not really sure where you got the idea that I don't like neurosurgery. Neurosurgery "catching my eye" is because my eyes had never seen it before. When you have hundreds of combinations as a physician specialist, it is hard to see everything. So yeah, the new thing caught my eye and made me realize I liked it more, hence the reason ortho became boring to me. Plus, I am not unsatisfied with my decisions, law would merely be to enhance my decisions. Plus, neurology and neurosurgery are different things. The first thing medical students surmise is if they are a surgeon or not, I am a surgeon and I do not want to practice general medicine.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Nobody is saying you shouldn't learn. People are saying that you shouldn't pay for a JD just so you can learn. If you want to learn, go to the library, read a book, watch a video, or use the internet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Casiobashio

New

Post by Casiobashio » Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Haha okay, whatever you say. I just enjoy learning, so I learned how to program and learned how to apply it to my research, and improving workflow in the hospital. Also, I said ortho was boring, so not really sure where you got the idea that I don't like neurosurgery. Neurosurgery "catching my eye" is because my eyes had never seen it before. When you have hundreds of combinations as a physician specialist, it is hard to see everything. So yeah, the new thing caught my eye and made me realize I liked it more, hence the reason ortho became boring to me. Plus, I am not unsatisfied with my decisions, law would merely be to enhance my decisions. Plus, neurology and neurosurgery are different things. The first thing medical students surmise is if they are a surgeon or not, I am a surgeon and I do not want to practice general medicine.
Totally fine that neuro isn't your thing. I don't like neuro either. Also it is fine that you want to do surgery, of course. but if you are 100% a surgeon and don't want to practice general medicine, it might be wise to get further along the med school track before signing up for 3 years of what is very likely to be unnecessary (law school). You can place it on hold for a while in your mind, and focus on med school. I am a 4th year so I already matched-- going into non-surgery field.

Last thing -- as I am sure all of your med school peers and mentors have told you -- your mind will change a lot throughout your clerkships

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”