Wisconsin vs. UIUC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Wisconsin
39%
Illinois
61%

Total votes: 31

isuperserial

Silver

Re: Wisconsin vs. UIUC

Post by isuperserial » Thu May 22, 2014 4:34 am

ThatsGameB wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
bugsy33 wrote:
NYSprague wrote:There is no way the worst possible outcome is $50,000. The worst outcome is unemployed as a lawyer. There are top students who don't have jobs in law.
I am not K-JD. I can go back to working as a PI at any time, as most of my licenses are valid for the next 5-10 years. That job is absolutely brutal, but I could do it if I absolutely had to, and I can make $50k.
You are making a huge mistake. You didn't even take into consideration that your debt will grow based on the interest. Additionally, you failed to consider the bar prep course costs, the time from may to at least august where you won't have a job. WOW. You are 5-10 points from a T14 and this is what you do? BYE FELICIA.
Curious at what price you would advocate going to UIUC at? Full ride or bust? 3/4 tuition? I only ask because you seem fairly harsh despite it placing around 30 percent into big law/clerkships. The middle of the class lands around 50-70k jobs and the bottom half are fairly screwed. I've also heard from several big law lawyers in Chi that it feeds very well into the market. Sure, the scandal is relevant to employers that put emphasis on the Newsweek rankings but the alumni respect in Chi isn't going to disappear because of it.
It's different for different people and there are a lot of factors at play. There is no set price in which UIUC suddenly becomes the right choice, necessarily.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Thu May 22, 2014 7:35 am

bugsy33 wrote:
NYSprague wrote:There is no way the worst possible outcome is $50,000. The worst outcome is unemployed as a lawyer. There are top students who don't have jobs in law.
I am not K-JD. I can go back to working as a PI at any time, as most of my licenses are valid for the next 5-10 years. That job is absolutely brutal, but I could do it if I absolutely had to, and I can make $50k.
I know that you think you will never have to do this. But it can happen. You should really run the numbers here. How brutal do you think the job is for lawyers working in doc review or small firms?

Why would you take on this much debt and risk when you don't have to with the chance of a worse job than you have now.

People here aren't trying to ruin your dreams we are trying to give you good advice.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu May 22, 2014 2:38 pm

ThatsGameB wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
bugsy33 wrote:
You are making a huge mistake. You didn't even take into consideration that your debt will grow based on the interest. Additionally, you failed to consider the bar prep course costs, the time from may to at least august where you won't have a job. WOW. You are 5-10 points from a T14 and this is what you do? BYE FELICIA.
Curious at what price you would advocate going to UIUC at? Full ride or bust? 3/4 tuition? I only ask because you seem fairly harsh despite it placing around 30 percent into big law/clerkships. The middle of the class lands around 50-70k jobs and the bottom half are fairly screwed. I've also heard from several big law lawyers in Chi that it feeds very well into the market. Sure, the scandal is relevant to employers that put emphasis on the Newsweek rankings but the alumni respect in Chi isn't going to disappear because of it.
When the difference between being screwed and not screwed is heads or tails, that's concerning.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu May 22, 2014 2:43 pm

john7234797 wrote:When the difference between being screwed and not screwed is heads or tails, that's concerning.
Shit, going to Michigan with BigDebt is heads or tails.

ZGr88n

Bronze

Post by ZGr88n » Thu May 22, 2014 2:46 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
john7234797 wrote:When the difference between being screwed and not screwed is heads or tails, that's concerning.
Shit, going to Michigan with BigDebt is heads or tails.
:cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”