Mercer University School of Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Bronze

Re: Mercer University School of Law

Post by 18488 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:29 am

most Mercer grads will earn substantially less than the median income
mathematical impossibility

The Agitator

Bronze

Post by The Agitator » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:09 am

Quote:
most Mercer grads will earn substantially less than the median income

mathematical impossibility
Not if the median in question is actually the median of only a small subset of students who responded to the salary survey.

PennyLane

New

Post by PennyLane » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:04 am

Wow... there seems to be a lot of Mercer hate here.

Since GSU is low-ranked as well, do you think their students face the same problems?

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:10 pm

PennyLane wrote:Wow... there seems to be a lot of Mercer hate here.

Since GSU is low-ranked as well, do you think their students face the same problems?
I second the question! :?:

PennyLane

New

Post by PennyLane » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:26 pm

vaplaugh wrote: They probably have similar employment prospects, but they're not graduating with the same debt level as most Mercer students. That's the key difference.
Hmm... It makes a little difference, but I still want to know I will get a decent job if I go there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:36 pm

GSU is much more respected by many people versus Mercer. Mercer is a joke for most in Atlanta, I'm sorry to say, when it comes to recruiting. No one likes to hear that, but big law doesn't heavily recruit Mercer. However, there are a lot of alumni from the school around Atlanta, and it comes down to what your definition of a good job is. Clearly you need to be at the top of the class, just like you would at many other schools.
It will never match Emory or UGA in terms of reputation, though this could have a bit to do with location.
HOWEVER, that said, a few Mercer students do get awesome jobs, and they give a nice full tuition + 5K stipend to some people. It isn't a terrible choice, though cost-wise I think the expense makes the school hard to justify over a state school.

My overall impression of the people at Mercer has been a friendly group of hardworking people.
Clearly, you can get a good education there, regardless of what anyone, including myself, thinks or writes.
Last edited by aguyingeorgia on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:31 pm

I talk to people in many different sections there. I'd say most are highly concerned with job prospects, but think the teaching is pretty good. However, worrying about the future is taking away from the overall experience to the point where many of them are second-guessing themselves. The only ones I know who aren't worrying are the ones who have family in law in GA/AL/or FL.

Prelawtiger

New

Post by Prelawtiger » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:19 am

Maybe if JeffersonDavis and Mercer Law 1L spent more time studying and/or networking and less time chastising people they don't know and their own law school on a random internet message board, their job prospects wouldn't be so bleak?

Just a thought.

a nother

New

Post by a nother » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:11 pm

I'm a Mercer 1L, too. There are only so many "biglaw" jobs and the likelihood that you were going to get one whether you went to Mercer or Emory was always slim. Most law school graduates go into solo practice, don't they? You guys who hate it here so much (and I'm with you, I hate it too, but I hate Macon, I'm broke, law school in general sucks...) are probably having a hard time with the sense of averageness law school seems to inflict. I never expected Emory. In fact, I didn't even bother to apply, but fully expected UGA. Instead, I was waitlisted. I chalked it up to the fact that I applied late and headed to Mercer hoping to transfer next year. Instead I've encountered extremely, dissapointingly, average grades. I've never had average grades before and I'm sure nobody on this board had, either, before they entered law school. Well, now I won't be able to transfer, I haven't made much progress toward the top 10% of any class.

It's hard to accept that I'm not "one of those people"- brilliant, sought after- you know what type I'm referring to. The "biglaw" partner/ Federal Judge (this is where I wanted to be) type. But, only a very small number of us will be. Most law students across the country will not have those opportunities. However, the fact is that Mercer grads do get jobs- all sorts of jobs, all over and that a Mercer degree is not going to bar you from working in Atlanta. Attending Mercer has not sealed your professional doom.

With that said, I also agree that many law schools view students as meal tickets and that many of the students admitted should not have been (I've also decided I'm one of them and will not be returning next year for reasons extending beyond my "sorry" grades and the reputation of the school). Even if all of the students admitted are capable (smart enough) of practicing law, obviously the market doesn't support the number of law school graduates. There is something kind of wrong with accepting that $100K in tuition when it is well known that a certain percentage of graduates have no chance. Unfortunately, whether you're going to get a job or even manage on your own is going to have a lot to do with networking and plain luck, but unless you're graduating from Yale you always face those odds. Maybe some of them do, too?

When I applied last year, Mercer was a tier 2 school. I have no idea if they've actually fallen in the rankings or if this is just a rumor being spread by disgruntled upperclassmen. It would be easy to find out, but for some reason I haven't (and probably won't). I have definitely heard the tier 3 talk that others in my class have mentioned here.

And finally, for anybody considering attending Mercer: Macon, Georgia is horrible. Boring, hypocritical, racist on all sides and inordinately corrupt. The layout of the town is bad, upkeep is bad, traffic is even bad and there aren't 100,000 people in this town. On the other hand, if you ride around Macon, it has a lot of charm and potential and maybe new leadership will help it realize some of that potential. There are some nice folks here and the law school is actually full of them. I've found the professors to be very personable, even the ones who pretend not to be. While there is some degree of competitiveness, I think students here are nicer and more likely to help you out than expected- presumably more so than most law schools. It's close enough to spend a good amount of time in Atlanta, less than 90 minutes on the interstate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:13 pm

I feel for you. Good luck, and network like crazy.

mercer alum

New

Post by mercer alum » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:21 pm

First, as a Mercer alum, let me say that there are more than dozens of my classmates who are working for large firms in Atlanta. We have alumni all over the country so to say that you can not get a job with a Mercer degree is ridiculous. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Mercer and was gainfully employed a good six months before graduation as were about 75% of my classmates. If you are a 1L at Mercer try asking some of the 3Ls if they are employed. My guess would be that a vast majority of them have had their employment secured since October.

I'm sorry you are finding the school to be such a terrible place to recieve an education. It's very unfortunate that you haven't been able to appreciate the charm of such a small and close-knit campus.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:36 pm

mercer alum wrote:First, as a Mercer alum, let me say that there are more than dozens of my classmates who are working for large firms in Atlanta. We have alumni all over the country so to say that you can not get a job with a Mercer degree is ridiculous. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Mercer and was gainfully employed a good six months before graduation as were about 75% of my classmates. If you are a 1L at Mercer try asking some of the 3Ls if they are employed. My guess would be that a vast majority of them have had their employment secured since October.

I'm sorry you are finding the school to be such a terrible place to recieve an education. It's very unfortunate that you haven't been able to appreciate the charm of such a small and close-knit campus.
I'd ask the following in response to this, as I feel I have a damn good handle on what someone can do with a degree from Mercer.

For one, define gainful employment. I've seen the averages coming out of Mercer, and that includes debt and average starting salary.

Second, alumni all over the country doing what? How many of them left and got a job straight out of school, versus worked for a while and then used the strength of their actual work experience to move?

I'm not saying you can't have a great time at Mercer, because I personally think you can. But I do think 75% is a crappy number of a class to be employed, and I have to question how many of them were practicing law.

Finally, I'd also be really curious to know those firms that the "more than dozens" (whatever weird use of English that is) are working at. I have a strong suspicion that those people were all at the top of the class or Woodruff Scholars.

I'd imagine that you don't disagree that Mercer is seen as the inferior of the four major law schools of the state?

*Disclaimer: I don't hate Mercer :)*

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:44 pm

vaplaugh wrote:
aguyingeorgia wrote: As the post above also wrote, people automatically are inclined to think less of you, and your degree, if you are a graduate of that law school.
aguyingeorgia wrote:Mercer is a joke for most in Atlanta, I'm sorry to say.
Well, I'm just a 1L, so I can't really respond to these assertions other than to roll my eyes. Either you are a distinguished practitioner, an attorney recruiter with significant experience, or a 0L, because only those categories of people could make such statements and actually think they know what they are talking about. Of course, if you're in the latter category, I think your opinion is of less value. I'm not trying to criticize you, as I had similar black/white views of law school reputations prior to working in a legal environment and prior to starting law school. Pre-laws care a lot more about ranking and apparent reputation than do actual attorneys.
I didn't see this before, but I'll expound.

I'm an 0L. But I happen to have a LOT of friends who are both distinguished practitioners and attorney recruiters, and what I said is straight from the proverbial horse's mouth. I also stated that some Mercer graduates get some great jobs.

I doubt your career office would argue with me on the following point: If a Mercer grad wants to get a job in Georgia, they can provide a lot of help and options. Outside of Georgia, they will do their best to find you a job as a paralegal or some other legal occupation.

Rumor has it that the aforementioned is a direct quote from a speech to a certain 1L section.

Either way, my personal thought is that Mercer is a great school, with a great legal program, in a small, quaint area. They excel at teaching writing.

Beyond that, the rankings speak volumes, and Mercer is the bottom school of the top 4.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mberg42

New

Post by mberg42 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:52 pm

Wow I feel like I wasted 60 bucks on an application to Mercer now. Didn't know it was looked at so badly. I wanted to eventually get a job in Atlanta but a Mercer degree doesnt seem very helpful. Guess I gotta hold out for GSU or stay in NJ.

TTT 4 ME

New

Post by TTT 4 ME » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:56 pm

me too, and they still haven't sent me a damn decision. ugh

mercer 3l

New

Post by mercer 3l » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:18 pm

I just found this my googling "mercer sucks." I'll add my $.02.

Mercer law is simply the biggest financial disaster of my life. Everything about this school is a ripoff; from the 30K/yr tuition, the crappy bookstore that gives you "free" popcorn, the horribly dated facilities, all the way to the piece of shitwipe paper you call a JD.

All of you 1Ls above are going to have a fantastic summer this year. Not only are paid internships nearly impossible to come by (only the brightest get them), you will have a hard time even finding a VOLUNTEER internship. That's right, folks-- you will probably not even find a place to give your time for free at mercer law. You'll end up working some odd, non-legal job (think lifeguard). What a ripoff. You better enjoy your 1L summer, because 2L summer doesn't get much better. If you didn't do anything during 1L summer, a 2L internship is that much harder to get. Before you know it, you'll be in 2L OCI (and I type that with a smirk on my face) with a couple of interviews at small law firms which will be interviewing half the 2L class for just one position. If you're at the median, you're fucked. Just try shopping your 85.5 GPA around.

To the guy above who said "75% of mercer 3Ls were employed before graduation"-- what a flat out lie. Maybe in 1975. I cannot fathom how that could possibly be true with the amount of 3Ls here who don't have jobs.

I would call mercer a toilet, but it's more like an open latrine where people just piss right on it. And if you think I'm exaggerating this whole thing, just wait until you fresh, doey-eyed 0Ls hit median and are begging on the street for some shitlaw firm to hire you. With $100,000 in debt combined with Mercer law's poor reputation, you'll take whatever rancid, fetid scraps are tossed your way. And you'll like it.

Save your money and don't attend this diploma mill if you value your dignity.

mberg42

New

Post by mberg42 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:20 am

mercer 3l wrote:I just found this my googling "mercer sucks." I'll add my $.02.

Mercer law is simply the biggest financial disaster of my life. Everything about this school is a ripoff; from the 30K/yr tuition, the crappy bookstore that gives you "free" popcorn, the horribly dated facilities, all the way to the piece of shitwipe paper you call a JD.

All of you 1Ls above are going to have a fantastic summer this year. Not only are paid internships nearly impossible to come by (only the brightest get them), you will have a hard time even finding a VOLUNTEER internship. That's right, folks-- you will probably not even find a place to give your time for free at mercer law. You'll end up working some odd, non-legal job (think lifeguard). What a ripoff. You better enjoy your 1L summer, because 2L summer doesn't get much better. If you didn't do anything during 1L summer, a 2L internship is that much harder to get. Before you know it, you'll be in 2L OCI (and I type that with a smirk on my face) with a couple of interviews at small law firms which will be interviewing half the 2L class for just one position. If you're at the median, you're fucked. Just try shopping your 85.5 GPA around.

To the guy above who said "75% of mercer 3Ls were employed before graduation"-- what a flat out lie. Maybe in 1975. I cannot fathom how that could possibly be true with the amount of 3Ls here who don't have jobs.

I would call mercer a toilet, but it's more like an open latrine where people just piss right on it. And if you think I'm exaggerating this whole thing, just wait until you fresh, doey-eyed 0Ls hit median and are begging on the street for some shitlaw firm to hire you. With $100,000 in debt combined with Mercer law's poor reputation, you'll take whatever rancid, fetid scraps are tossed your way. And you'll like it.

Save your money and don't attend this diploma mill if you value your dignity.
you guys speak of Mercer with such animosity. Im glad I found this site. Mercer was one of my safeties but I applied late so Im not sure where I will get in. This was my first acceptance and only acceptance so far(12 more to go, no rejections). I guess If I get rejected from all the other schools I just continue working at the bank and reapply next year earlier. You guys seem miserable(I rather stay at my job). I thank you for sharing your experiences and hope wish you the best. Im not totally sold that it is horrible but you guys are pretty convincing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mercer 3l

New

Post by mercer 3l » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:42 am

I don't care if you believe me or not mberg42. In fact, I want every single 0L who is admitted to this hell-hole to pay the deposit, shell out $30,000 or whatever Mercer is overcharging 1Ls these days and experience it first hand. I don't want anyone to take my word for it. Just assume I'm a huge liar. After paying $100,000 for a legal education, sallie mae and direct loans are going to come knocking for their blood money and you are going to remember that angry 3L on this forum and wish you had fucking listened to him. I hope 1000 people are admitted this year and all attend-- the more the better.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:58 am

mercer 3l wrote:I don't care if you believe me or not mberg42. In fact, I want every single 0L who is admitted to this hell-hole to pay the deposit, shell out $30,000 or whatever Mercer is overcharging 1Ls these days and experience it first hand. I don't want anyone to take my word for it. Just assume I'm a huge liar. After paying $100,000 for a legal education, sallie mae and direct loans are going to come knocking for their blood money and you are going to remember that angry 3L on this forum and wish you had fucking listened to him. I hope 1000 people are admitted this year and all attend-- the more the better.
Thanks for taking the time to provide some input. Basically backing up most everything I've heard, down to the free popcorn at the bookstore.

TTT 4 ME

New

Post by TTT 4 ME » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:06 pm

i don't hate some of my ex girlfriends as much as you guys hate mercer. i have a fraternity brother there and he doesn't make it out to be as bad as this, but i don't doubt your feelings. i cringe to think what will happen if i get rejected by every other school i applied to except for campbell and mercer. at this point i would have to say i would go to campbell just because the bar passage rate.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:07 pm

Cambell has a cute girl working in admissions...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rickb

New

Post by rickb » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Sorry if y'all weren't smart enough to realize this before you came to law school, but unless you get into a law school ranked in the top 20, you will have to graduate at the top of your class to get a good job. And by good job, i mean a baller job in hotlanta. this goes for UGA law school and GSU as well. 2nd of all, Mercer is an old law school and it has a huge alumni base throughout the state of Georgia. So don't listen to BS that Mercer has a bad rap. It probably doesn't have the best rap among people that sit around and write law review articles. But I don't want to be a silly academic. I want to practice law in the state of Georgia, and Mercer's reputation is already helping me in that regard. I'm sorry if you were one of those idiots that thought a Mercer law degree would gaurantee you a 100K job your first year working, much less a job in the city of your choice. It won't. And neither will a law degree from UGA or GSU.

Before you go to any law school, I would suggest reading the article at the bottom. A lot of what it says is more applicable to legal markets in New York and Chicago, not the legal market in the state of Georgia. The critics are right about one thing: law schools everywhere are all about making money. They will trick you into thinking that a law degree is a pot of gold. A law degree can be a pot of gold, but you had better 1) go to a top 20 law school or, if not, graduate in the top your law school class, or 2) have good connections (80% of legal jobs are never advertised), or 3) be a baller litigator and make your money without the big firms. With all this being said, Mercer law school is great. If you came to Mercer law school not knowing any of the above, then I could understand why you're pissed. But don't blame Mercer, blame yourself.

I personally like Mercer and most everyone I know here likes Mercer, too. I am also friends with several 2Ls and 3Ls that have already landed great jobs, both outside Atlanta and at the big firms in Atlanta. Should I add, however, that my friends with good jobs are intelligent, hard working, social, and don't whine like a bunch of school children?

The worst thing about Mercer is that it is too expensive. The best thing about Mercer is that we actually have a community of students and professors who enjoy one another and the study of law. Downtown Macon is miserable compared to downtown Athens, but most towns are crap compared to downtown Athens.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB ... 35602.html

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:10 pm

One cannot argue with the fact that downtown Athens is a nice place.

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:23 pm

There is some excellent hate on this thread; I am impressed.

The best message is buyer beware. Believing that they can turn your 155 LSAT score into a biglaw job with you just showing up for class is a little naive. At some point, to acquire resources (be it women, money, etc.), you have to kick ass.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Also, winning the lottery could help.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”