. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

what to do

reapply next year and profit
23%
take Dillard or hypothetical Columbia/Chicago and run
77%

Total votes: 96

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon May 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Re: help James Bungles decide what to do

Post by logicspeaks » Mon May 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Ok I'm a 0L but I would say take the Dillard, get Berk to match it, or wait if you feel uncomfortable with UVA. I don't know what the the culture at UVA is like for LGBT but you might want to look into that. Otherwise a full ride is great if you're going to start out in biglaw and have no other "prestigious" aspirations. It's probably worth it to take the Dillard over almost anything Columbia can offer IMHO.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Mon May 05, 2014 3:33 pm

I doubt 1 year of Americorps changes your luck at Harvard or Stanford. You might want to contact Chicago; and then if you get it in try negotiating. There still might be some value in taking a couple years off, just to work and learn a little bit more about what you want in a work environment. Knowing what kind of work environment you want can go a long way towards knowing what practice areas you want. And picking the right practice area can really help you succeed.

That said, Dillard is a great deal. No guarantee it will be there for you in a year or two.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:36 pm

logicspeaks wrote:Ok I'm a 0L but I would say take the Dillard, get Berk to match it, or wait if you feel uncomfortable with UVA. I don't know what the the culture at UVA is like for LGBT but you might want to look into that. Otherwise a full ride is great if you're going to start out in biglaw and have no other "prestigious" aspirations. It's probably worth it to take the Dillard over almost anything Columbia can offer IMHO.
Berk doesn't consider UVA scholarships for their matching program and from what I've seen this cycle, its really a crapshoot.

OP did you apply late?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon May 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Wed May 07, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:04 pm

james.bungles wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
logicspeaks wrote:Ok I'm a 0L but I would say take the Dillard, get Berk to match it, or wait if you feel uncomfortable with UVA. I don't know what the the culture at UVA is like for LGBT but you might want to look into that. Otherwise a full ride is great if you're going to start out in biglaw and have no other "prestigious" aspirations. It's probably worth it to take the Dillard over almost anything Columbia can offer IMHO.
Berk doesn't consider UVA scholarships for their matching program and from what I've seen this cycle, its really a crapshoot.

OP did you apply late?
yeah 1/30 and feb retake
Sorry, looks like I skipped that detail in the OP. If you're not comfortable attending UVA with the Dillard and you're set on some other school and have the resources to pay for it, then I don't see the harm in trying again next cycle.

However, all may not be lost this cycle. Ride out the WLs and see what type of money they give you. If its not to your liking and you are not set on UVA by then, just reapply.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon May 05, 2014 4:13 pm

Dillard is solid. I wouldn't wait, but I'm not very patient.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Mon May 05, 2014 4:15 pm

I voted to take the Dillard, but if I could I would change it to wait a year.

I think you can afford to retake that 172. Just two more points could get you your award goals at CCN and/or into HYS. I would plan to retake that 172. Study like mad. If you aren't consistently PT at 175 before the test you can always cancel before you sit and schools will never know you registered.

Also, your late application may have hurt you. I think the benefit of an early application and/or higher LSAT score next cycle warrants reapplying.

That being said, you can certainly attain BigLaw from UVA, so don't dismiss the Dillard just yet. If you are interested in other goals (academia, clerkship, boutique Lit) or want a better shot at V10 and V5 firms (which HYSCCN may give you a marginal boost) then reapplying is fine.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 05, 2014 4:16 pm

wait, you got a full scholarship at UVA and you think your cycle went shitty? jesus. that's a bit entitled bro (I mean I know you have great stats, but still.)

I think you should take the Dillard unless, as you say, you get lots of $$ off the Columbia or Chicago WL. I'd be curious to hear the Penn story. If Penn or Berkeley came close in aid to the Dillard that would be amazing.

While I think someone your age should spend some time away from school to gain other experiences, ect., it's not just so you can go to a different school. Getting a UVA JD for free is pretty terrific. It's a better deal than HCCN with some money. If you decide you want to become an attorney, I would go with the Dillard. If you are uncertain about that goal, then definitely take some time to yourself - more than one year maybe.

Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Mon May 05, 2014 4:29 pm

buffalo_ wrote: I think you can afford to retake that 172. Just two more points could get you your award goals at CCN and/or into HYS. I would plan to retake that 172. Study like mad. If you aren't consistently PT at 175 before the test you can always cancel before you sit and schools will never know you registered.
I think OP has indicated in past posts that he's at his LSAT limit for two years.

Also, I cannot imagine legitimately telling someone to retake a 172. That's fuckking insane. I don't care if you know someone who's done it.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Mon May 05, 2014 4:41 pm

BillPackets wrote:
buffalo_ wrote: I think you can afford to retake that 172. Just two more points could get you your award goals at CCN and/or into HYS. I would plan to retake that 172. Study like mad. If you aren't consistently PT at 175 before the test you can always cancel before you sit and schools will never know you registered.
I think OP has indicated in past posts that he's at his LSAT limit for two years.

Also, I cannot imagine legitimately telling someone to retake a 172. That's fuckking insane. I don't care if you know someone who's done it.
Didn't know this. Take the Dillard. Earlier cycle won't help enough to make it worth it. UVA w/ Dillard is a sweet outcome.

It's not crazy if you are PT at 175 or know you messed up on and could have done better the day you got the 172. I retook a 172. I agree that it is not advice for everyone, but if OP thinks they can get higher and their goal is really HYS/CCN$$ then I think it is worth the risk.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon May 05, 2014 4:44 pm

If you're "not sure what the hell you want to do" the only better offers you could potentially get are CCN, P or B with full rides. I would take the Dillard over HYS for those goals.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon May 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Can you marry me after lawyers and we can be a power couple? That's what you should do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon May 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Wed May 07, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon May 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Tue May 20, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon May 05, 2014 4:49 pm

james.bungles wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Can you marry me after lawyers and we can be a power couple? That's what you should do.
yes
Obviously it's cinco de mayo and I may not be sober so clearly "lawyers" meant "law school."

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon May 05, 2014 5:07 pm

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm

As someone with almost your exact same profile (nearly identical stats, graduated early KJD) I would advise you to take the Dillard. Even as someone who did get CCN with $$$ and HYS, the Dillard was still a tempting offer. UVA is a great school for both biglaw and is pretty good for clerkships/PI if you decide you want to go that route instead. Given that you seem fine with biglaw and don't have a burning desire for any "unicorn" jobs that are easier out of HYS, UVA for free is an incredible offer. Though I turned my Dillard down, if I were in your situation I probably would have taken it and been thrilled.

Sometimes TLS warps our perceptions and makes us think an exceptional cycle was only "meh". You got into a fantastic T-14 for free. Take it dude. Take it and run.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon May 05, 2014 5:46 pm

wtf are you going to law school for? Take a few years off and figure out why you even want to go.

love4life29

Bronze

Post by love4life29 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Last edited by love4life29 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Mon May 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Nelson wrote:wtf are you going to law school for? Take a few years off and figure out why you even want to go.
I agree with that. But if not, UVA is the choice by a large margin here.

OP could work for a year and save money, consequently having a better resume and loaning less for living expenses. The giant t14 scholarships should still be offered another cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Mon May 05, 2014 7:03 pm

The Dillard is a great outcome, but it seems to be pretty true that "fools rush in" when it comes to law practice...

Since you're an especially young K-JD who "really doesn't know what the hell" you want to do, I think you'd be justified in turning down the scholarship. Just be aware that you can't necessarily count on full tuition offers if/when you next apply.

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Congratulations on getting a full scholarship offer from UVA! What's wrong with UVA? Do you really want to go to a higher ranked school? You can apply next year if you really want to try again.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Dillard. The alternative is paying a lot more at a sightly better school, and for what? You probably won't have a significantly better sense of direction 12 months from now.

ETA - poll results are pretty overwhelming right now ...

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Tue May 06, 2014 4:46 am

Dillard brah

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”