Picking a school by Friday ! ! ! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
t-14orbust

Gold

Re: Picking a school by Friday ! ! !

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:14 pm

Flokkness wrote:Let's say for the sake of discussion that I had to pick a school from that list, any thoughts as to which would be "best"?

I appreciate all the retake advice and see the wisdom there. It's just that that 158 wasn't cold, that was with some studying. I could sit on the bench for another year and a half for two more LSAT chances and only do worse. :?
What is 'some studying' anyways? I recommend people to put in 200 hours of study time, and we definitely have some TLSers on here well above that. You also may have been approaching studying wrong, or using the wrong materials. Don't let fear of doing worse preclude you from making what will likely be one of the best decisions of your legal career.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Easiest retake TCR I have ever seen. And you knew it before you posted. You only get one shot at this. Don't compromise on going to a T14 with a full-ride (with a 3.93 this should be your expectation) or HYS because you don't want to wait one more year. The rest of your life will be miles better if you retake and go to a school that gives you the best shot at gainful employment.

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Flokkness wrote:Let's say for the sake of discussion that I had to pick a school from that list, any thoughts as to which would be "best"?

I appreciate all the retake advice and see the wisdom there. It's just that that 158 wasn't cold, that was with some studying. I could sit on the bench for another year and a half for two more LSAT chances and only do worse. :?
I honestly would not advise going to any of those schools given the market conditions we're in right now. I know a guy who went to Pitt (2011) and he's now working at a tiny firm near Harrisburg doing insurance defense for like $30k a year. He told me he's applied to hundreds of places in Philadelphia area and NY/NJ but has not been able to get any offers. He basically hates his life and has no way out due to student debt.

Also, a previous poster made a good point, if you're not good at testing, you need to insulate yourself from the curve as best you can. Median at UPenn or Columbia is not a financial disaster. Median at any of the schools you've listed will likely destroy you financially (and you likely will not end up practicing law in any real way). You should do some more research on the state of the legal industry before signing on at any of these places.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:17 pm

Sweet lord, retake the LSAT. I'm a splitter, and people in my situation would kill for your GPA. Don't feel like you have to go to one of those schools this year. Start studying and retake in the fall.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:18 pm

One should not half-ass a test that could be worth tens of thousands of dollars and completely shape your future career.

1) Drill like mad.
2) Take 25+ practice tests under timed conditions.
3) Score 170+.
4) Attend T14 w/ $$.

Please - retake and reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:23 pm

No one is giving you advice other than retake even with you saying this because you really need to retake. I know I posted already but this situation deserves special emphasis.

Lets see, 3.9+ and URM? The LSAT is one lousy test but a good score on it will net you SOOOOO much.

It would probably make more financial sense to quit your job and take out a loan to hire a tutor and study full time and break 170. (Not serious financial advice, but I really actually think this would give you net positive $ in the long run).

Have some faith in yourself. I wholeheartedly believe that anyone can do well (165+) on the LSAT with enough practice. You probably just need more prep than last time around.

Take a year off, hire a tutor. I understand that you are older and want to get started already, but this is a career. You are going to be a lawyer for 30 years whether you go to school this year or next year. The value of this retake is so high.

And absolute WORST case scenario. You retake, you do worse (won't happen), schools will look at your first score, you get into the same schools but now you know where SO will be in med school. You both graduate at the same time. Nothing is lost.

Last edited by buffalo_ on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:25 pm

edited
Last edited by Flokkness on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Flokkness wrote:Ah man I work 60+ hour weeks as a child welfare social worker. Study time is hard to come by, but no excuses. I took the Blackstone prep class in Tampa 1-2 days a week for a few months and did practice tests and such. Score got bottlenecked on logic games.
Logic Games are by and far the easiest section to improve on. You definitely did not prep enough. You have over a year to prep for the next cycle, so get started right away and you'll be on your way to big things.

Please see above LSN outcomes if you haven't.
Last edited by t-14orbust on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:29 pm

158 is so beatable. if you study enough youll get to a point where youll have beaten a 158 on PTs with an entire graded section left to go.

i took the retake advice here on TLS (thought they were a bunch of delusional prestige whores at the time but it changed my life from from tier 2 misery to top 20 dreams with $ and ive only got a 3.24 lsac gpa) imagine what you could do with a 3.93

a 3.93?????????????????? RETAKE

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Flokkness wrote:Ah man I work 60+ hour weeks as a child welfare social worker. Study time is hard to come by, but no excuses. I took the Blackstone prep class in Tampa 1-2 days a week for a few months and did practice tests and such. Score got bottlenecked on logic games.
Mullens wrote:

What do you want to do with your law degree, other than "not biglaw"? If you don't have clearly defined goals of what you want to do after law school, you shouldn't attend any law school, especially not the ones listed above.
I have a few areas of interest, human rights and international law specifically. I hesitate to set a practice plan in stone because, well, I haven't actually set foot into law school yet, and could find something else that interests me between now and graduation, in the middle of all that crazy learnin'. Sorry if that sounds aggravatingly nebulous.
If you can squeeze 2-7 points, your in a much better situation

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:29 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Logic Games are by and far the easiest section to improve on. You definitely did not prep enough. You have over a year to prep for the next cycle, so get started right away and you'll be on your way to big things.

this. brush up on formal logic and logic games will become a -0 with 5 min to spare gimme almost everytime

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Flokkness wrote: I have a few areas of interest, human rights and international law specifically.
Those two areas are going to be virtually impossible outside of a T14, and they're pretty elusive within the T14 too. The odds of doing "human rights law" from Pitt are longer than the odds of you being named Emperor of the Moon People.

Just to confirm, what kind of URM are you? I only ask because I've seen threads proceed on the assumption that the poster is African-American, only to find out they're Asian or Indian. Some people think URM just means "not Caucasian."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Flokkness wrote: I have a few areas of interest, human rights and international law specifically. I hesitate to set a practice plan in stone because, well, I haven't actually set foot into law school yet, and could find something else that interests me between now and graduation, in the middle of all that crazy learnin'. Sorry if that sounds aggravatingly nebulous.
You have a statistically insignificant chance of getting a job having to do with anything like human rights or international law from any of those schools. You really need to do more research.

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:32 pm

edited

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:32 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
. The odds of doing "human rights law" from Pitt are longer than the odds of you being named Emperor of the Moon People.
"

lulz

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 pm

seriously man. what would you rather be an attorney who practices 29 years from a place like Duke or Columbia or an attorney to practices 30 years from Pitt
Last edited by thevuch on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 pm

Flokkness wrote:Well, shit. Looks like I need to step off for Fall 2014 and try for Fall 2015 with a better LSAT.
You won't regret it. I look forward to coming back here next year and seeing you debating whether to attend HLS or take big money at Penn. Good luck brother!!
Last edited by t-14orbust on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Flokkness wrote:Well, shit. Looks like I need to step off for Fall 2014 and try for Fall 2015 with a better LSAT.
You absolutely won't regret it. Best of luck!!!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:35 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Just to confirm, what kind of URM are you?

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Best of luck to you! You are going to have some amazing options next year. If you felt the course you took was a waste, I would recommend trying a personal tutor and individual study. They cost more, but you will get so much more out of it. $1000 worth of hours with a tutor >>>> $1500 course. Search around for someone in your area with a good reputation, or do an online tutoring service like Zenof180.

You absolutely will do better on your next retake. You won't even miss a single logic game question by the time you're done prepping.
Last edited by buffalo_ on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:37 pm

edited
Last edited by Flokkness on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:39 pm

edited

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:41 pm

edited

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Flokkness wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Just to confirm, what kind of URM are you?
I'm a black dude.
You've GOT to retake. Even if you were not URM, retake would still be the right answer, but for an AA male with a 3.9 GPA, you should be looking at the T14 with big money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”