Case Western Reserve ($$$) or Syracuse ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hds2388

Bronze

Re: Case Western Reserve ($$$) or Syracuse ($$$)

Post by hds2388 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:21 pm

Wubbles wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:03 pm
hds2388 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:55 pm
thehowlingfantods wrote:
Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:45 am
Case Western Reserve $32,000 per year scholarship, stipulation of Good Academic Standing.

Syracuse $25,000 per year scholarship, stipulation of Good Academic Standing

Case Western Reserve Total COA 3 years: $64,000

Syracuse Total COA 3 years: $67,000

Have better ties to Cleveland. Also have ties to Syracuse.

Can live with family in both regions during school.

No preference on residence after graduation.

These are my best options (Aside from retake, which I'm unable to do)

Any suggestions?

Which school does TLS like better?
I am from Syracuse, have extremely strong ties to SUCOL, and went to CWRU for my first year of law school. You can PM of you would like to discuss. I have a lot of insight, but will be easier to share via PM.
This thread is from 2014, OP just bumped it to provide an update.
Ha, funny. Clearly law school didn’t teach me to pay attention to the details enough.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 pm

nixy wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:57 pm
laanngo wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:55 pm
nixy wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:22 am
being earnest and passionate has nothing to do with someone doing well on exams.
I meant that mostly in terms of interviewing well, but being passionate about the material and earnest in studying hard can earn you top marks.
I know that this is the most obnoxiously lawyerly answer, but passion and earnestness are neither necessary nor sufficient for earning top grades.
They correlate. Not causal, the way adopting a cat into a house where someone is allergic is causes their allergies without being the direct an inevitable cause of it. As you said, this problem can't be reasoned with strictly legal reasoning.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:20 pm

laanngo wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 pm
nixy wrote:
laanngo wrote:
nixy wrote:
being earnest and passionate has nothing to do with someone doing well on exams.
I meant that mostly in terms of interviewing well, but being passionate about the material and earnest in studying hard can earn you top marks.
I know that this is the most obnoxiously lawyerly answer, but passion and earnestness are neither necessary nor sufficient for earning top grades.
They correlate. Not causal, the way adopting a cat into a house where someone is allergic is causes their allergies without being the direct an inevitable cause of it. As you said, this problem can't be reasoned with strictly legal reasoning.
Source for the bolded? (Assuming you're not just begging the question and mean "good at studying" when you say "earnest in studying hard".) Neither passion nor earnestness seemed especially pronounced among people who crushed 1L at my school.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:19 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:20 pm
laanngo wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 pm
nixy wrote:
laanngo wrote:
nixy wrote:
Source for the bolded? (Assuming you're not just begging the question and mean "good at studying" when you say "earnest in studying hard".) Neither passion nor earnestness seemed especially pronounced among people who crushed 1L at my school.
Then what was pronounced among those who crushed it?
I don't see why I need a source to say that those with good personality traits tend to succeed in life.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:02 am

Because “having good personality traits” and “succeeding at life” don’t have anything to do with success on law school exams specifically and I don’t understand why you’re doubling down on this. Have you actually attended law school/taken law school exams yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:48 am

laanngo wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:19 pm
I don't see why I need a source to say that those with good personality traits tend to succeed in life.
When you assert "they correlate", full stop, you're implying you have some empirical basis. Not "I think they ought to correlate because it seems intuitive to me a priori".

It sounds like you are indeed just begging the question, falling back to the motte of "good personality traits", so I'm now reasonably confident you don't actually have any basis for saying the bolded. TYVM.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:06 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:48 am
laanngo wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:19 pm
When you assert "they correlate", full stop, you're implying you have some empirical basis. Not "I think they ought to correlate because it seems intuitive to me a priori".

It sounds like you are indeed just begging the question, falling back to the motte of "good personality traits", so I'm now reasonably confident you don't actually have any basis for saying the bolded. TYVM.
0l.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”