Penn (95k total) vs Chicago (60k total) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Penn
61%
Chicago
39%

Total votes: 33

LaJeuneFille

New

Penn (95k total) vs Chicago (60k total)

Post by LaJeuneFille » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:46 am

-
Last edited by LaJeuneFille on Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

NicCageOnline

New

Re: Penn (95k total) vs Chicago (60k total)

Post by NicCageOnline » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:47 am

I PM'd you, because I, too, am deciding between these schools!!!

kathj06

Bronze

Post by kathj06 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:52 am

I know this is all anecdotal/coming from a stranger on the internet, but I've talked to a few ppl who hire for biglaw in DC, and the answer is that Chicago is definitely not worth that much more for D.C. Pretty much a "HYS vs. all the other top schools" situation for DC

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 am

I agree that the Chicago edge isn't much here. I think we may have an edge at Williams and Connolly but elsewhere Penn's placement is equally strong. Chicago's advantage over Penn is really in Chicago/Cali/Texas and NYC V10s. If any of those are backup plans for you, I'd consider paying extra for Chi, but if you are all in on DC I would probably do Penn.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:02 pm

I rarely ever say this. But in your case, go to the school where you think it would be the best fit for you personally.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LaJeuneFille

New

Post by LaJeuneFille » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:06 pm

-
Last edited by LaJeuneFille on Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Your backup market from either of these schools is NYC. You can't go to law school with the plan to shoot for DC with a backup of CA.

Penn is at least as strong as Chicago in DC. DC is Penn's second biggest destination after NYC. At big DC firms, representation of the two is basically equal.

There's no reason to pay 40k+ for Chicago for DC.

LaJeuneFille

New

Post by LaJeuneFille » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Can those who voted for Chicago explain their reasoning, please?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:19 pm

LaJeuneFille wrote:
2014 wrote:I agree that the Chicago edge isn't much here. I think we may have an edge at Williams and Connolly but elsewhere Penn's placement is equally strong. Chicago's advantage over Penn is really in Chicago/Cali/Texas and NYC V10s. If any of those are backup plans for you, I'd consider paying extra for Chi, but if you are all in on DC I would probably do Penn.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. If I WOULD consider Cali BigLaw as a backup to DC, how strongly would your considerations be for paying extra at Chicago?
I think Chicago does noticeably better but I also agree with Nelson that it's risky to go all in DC/Cali. Knowing that you want Cali to at least be in play though, Chicago is worth some amount more than Penn, I just don't know that it's 35k.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NicCageOnline

New

Post by NicCageOnline » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 am

bumping this thread because I'm interested in it, too...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 pm

I don't think Chicago is "substantially more prestigious" than Penn. I also don't think that's a relevant consideration.
Nelson wrote:Your backup market from either of these schools is NYC. You can't go to law school with the plan to shoot for DC with a backup of CA.
This is really important, although it seems like UChicago students can somewhat reliably depend on Chicago as a legitimate market (albeit a small one) in addition to NY. I don't know whether below median students at UChi are advised to go all in NY or spread between less grade sensitive firms at Chicago and New York.

I think either is justified. It would not be the worst thing to pick where you liked best. The schools do have different atmospheres.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:16 am

jbagelboy wrote:I don't think Chicago is "substantially more prestigious" than Penn. I also don't think that's a relevant consideration.
Nelson wrote:Your backup market from either of these schools is NYC. You can't go to law school with the plan to shoot for DC with a backup of CA.
This is really important, although it seems like UChicago students can somewhat reliably depend on Chicago as a legitimate market (albeit a small one) in addition to NY. I don't know whether below median students at UChi are advised to go all in NY or spread between less grade sensitive firms at Chicago and New York.

I think either is justified. It would not be the worst thing to pick where you liked best. The schools do have different atmospheres.
There are too many UChi students who want Chi firms and not enough slots in the city for below median people to count on anything in Chicago. They do fine in NYC though. (note it's not clear what our median is so I'm referring to unambiguously below median people)

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Thu May 01, 2014 2:32 pm

When I was choosing between these two (at equal cost), I ruled out Chicago based on fit. I think that the two schools have pretty different cultures, so that should probably help you to make your decision. If you see yourself doing better with the Chi culture, that obviously makes the decision more difficult, but if it's Penn, I think Penn is probably the clear winner due to money + goals + fit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”