Conflicted on lower T-14 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BA414

New

Conflicted on lower T-14

Post by BA414 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Hey TLS, I'm looking for advice on how to choose between two schools in the lower T14. I'm essentially conflicted between NU and GULC, and with NU's deposit deadline quickly approaching on Wednesday, I need to nut up.

The general consensus here says, all things equal, that I should take NU. I really have no significant scholly at either place, but GULC has offered me a grant (~50K over three years). I might get something from NU after the scholarship deadline passes and am still waiting to hear from GULC on scholly reconsideration. I have visited both and enjoyed them. I wouldn't mind paying sticker for NU and ~200K for GULC, for reasons that I cannot simply express over TLS.

I'm concerned primarily with GULC's class size, but I definitely don't belong to that category of posters that say it's not worth going to. Sure, their employment is last among the T14, but it has other redeeming qualities. I also feel that NU offers a little more security/better class size, but I'm not convinced that these are significant, and not just minimal, advantages.

That said, is there some sort of checklist/process people have used when deciding on similar schools? Keep in mind that I'm K-JD, am leaning to biglaw but would be very open to other options, and am looking to practice in South FL, hopefully, after graduation. Additionally, I feel that I'm over-thinking this decision and having a hard time separating emotion (have some friends/network in DC) from reason (NU will prob give me a better chance at big law).

Thanks in advance and please don't tell me to retake. Please. I'm especially interested in hearing from people who chose b/w NU and GULC.

--

ETA:

1) NU/GULC
2) NU = sticker (scholly possible after April 30), GULC = ~200k
3) Loans
4) Big law, but open to clerkships and other opportunities too
5) > 3.8x, 165
6) Once, but will not be retaking
Last edited by BA414 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Conflicted on lower T-14

Post by runinthefront » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:09 pm

BA414 wrote:Hey TLS, I'm looking for advice on how to choose between two schools in the lower T14. I'm essentially conflicted between NU and GULC, and with NU's deposit deadline quickly approaching on Wednesday, I need to nut up.

The general consensus here says, all things equal, that I should take NU. I really have no significant scholly at either place, but GULC has offered me a grant (~50K over three years). I might get something from NU after the scholarship deadline passes and am still waiting to hear from GULC on scholly reconsideration. I have visited both and enjoyed them. I wouldn't mind paying sticker for NU and ~200K for GULC, for reasons that I cannot simply express over TLS.

I'm concerned primarily with GULC's class size, but I definitely don't belong to that category of posters that say it's not worth going to. Sure, their employment is last among the T14, but it has other redeeming qualities. I also feel that NU offers a little more security/better class size, but I'm not convinced that these are significant, and not just minimal, advantages.

That said, is there some sort of checklist/process people have used when deciding on similar schools? Keep in mind that I'm K-JD, am leaning to biglaw but would be very open to other options, and am looking to practice in South FL, hopefully, after graduation. Additionally, I feel that I'm over-thinking this decision and having a hard time separating emotion (have some friends/network in DC) from reason (NU will prob give me a better chance at big law).

Thanks in advance and please don't tell me to retake. Please. I'm especially interested in hearing from people who chose b/w NU and GULC.

--

ETA:

1) NU/GULC
2) NU = sticker (scholly possible after April 30), GULC = ~200k
3) Loans
4) Big law, but open to clerkships and other opportunities too
5) > 3.8x, 165
6) Once, but will not be retaking
At least retake in June for a shot at scholarship money. With that said that retake is TCR, NU is the safer bet for big law by a decent amount

1Lin2015

New

Post by 1Lin2015 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:16 pm

I wont tell you to retake. But I would recommend you wait a cycle or two. Here's why: I think some real world experience would benefit you. You don't seem entirely committed to law school, though perhaps very interested. Guessing you want biglaw, wanting to be close to your friends, and being a K-JD all indicate that the real world experience will really give you the time and perspective to thoroughly decide the direction of your life. Also, both at Georgetown and NU, your lack of work experience will put you at a disadvantage during OCI relative to your class.

And if you're waiting, you might as well retake. Your post suggests your LSAT could do with a few extra points. This would give you good scholly and more, and better, school options. But I'm assuming you come from a wealthy background, but all the more reason to take the best option if you're paying sticker anyway.

Edit: Retake entirely because taking time off is good for you.

1Lin2015

New

Post by 1Lin2015 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Loans?!? How is your OP so casual of sticker and the prospect of not getting biglaw, simultaneously?!? You crazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BA414

New

Post by BA414 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks for the advice. I don't mean that sarcastically--it actually is quite good advice. Not from a wealthy background though, I'm just taking this on myself. And I forgot to mention that I've been working (substantive work) throughout college for the past three years. I won't get into it ITT, but I think that's what got me to NU and even GULC. So I'm not totally worried about my performance at OCI because I have some nice experiences to talk about, even relative to my experienced NU peers.

Any other voices? You're right that I would probably benefit from increasing a few points on the LSAT, but I'm really committed to law school. I'll think about retaking for scholly though, that's not a bad plan. I'm happy with my options, albeit hesitant because it's such a large investment. But any other insight would be appreciated!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Not retaking is a stupid move. Sticker debt is brutal - some people have no choice, but you can take one year off and potentially get a free ride to numerous T-14s. Retake.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:32 pm

Retake both are bad at those prices

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:22 am

Oh god

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?