BIGGEST LAW SCHOOL DILEMMA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go?

Poll ended at Fri May 02, 2014 1:11 am

Columbia
33%
Berkeley
44%
UCLA
24%

Total votes: 55

mlstflst

New

Re: BIGGEST LAW SCHOOL DILEMMA

Post by mlstflst » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:43 am

hcrimson2014 wrote:
mlstflst wrote:
hcrimson2014 wrote:Given your emphasis on prestige and the fact that you went to Oxbridge and HYP, you are probably not awash in poverty like many others on this board, so go to Columbia - at the very least it's the 4th Ivy and not 'Gasp' a public school full of hippies. Also California might be the place for the stars, but the major corporate boards of the entertainment industry are almost entirely headquartered in NY, so Columbia is much closer to the decision making process of the industry.

great imput! thanks for the post!i have to agree with you on your latter points. The irony is, I am totally awash in poverty!!haha. Much appreciated!!!
How did you attend Oxbridge with no money? They rarely if ever give scholarship to international students and the tuition is something upwards of 20,000 pounds. Did you get a Rhode or something?[/quote
Last edited by mlstflst on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlstflst

New

Post by mlstflst » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:49 am

hcrimson2014 wrote:
mlstflst wrote:
hcrimson2014 wrote:Given your emphasis on prestige and the fact that you went to Oxbridge and HYP, you are probably not awash in poverty like many others on this board, so go to Columbia - at the very least it's the 4th Ivy and not 'Gasp' a public school full of hippies. Also California might be the place for the stars, but the major corporate boards of the entertainment industry are almost entirely headquartered in NY, so Columbia is much closer to the decision making process of the industry.

great imput! thanks for the post!i have to agree with you on your latter points. The irony is, I am totally awash in poverty!!haha. Much appreciated!!!
How did you attend Oxbridge with no money? They rarely if ever give scholarship to international students and the tuition is something upwards of 20,000 pounds. Did you get a Rhode or something?

I am a UK national, which means I paid very little for undergrad. Got the Fulbright to HYP.
Last edited by mlstflst on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlstflst

New

Post by mlstflst » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:56 am

Nucky wrote:If you're set on entertainment law go to UCLA for free and don't look back. Congrats!

Thank you nucky, much appreciated. Good luck in your plans!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:39 am

I honestly don't understand all the hate directed towards OP here, except the title in caps maybe is a little obnoxious. What did he/she say that was so infuriating? I guess I'm missing something.

Columbia does have a great program for media & entertainment ("soft" IP), and it's the biggest feeder into *arguably* the best big law media firm, Paul Weiss. But if you are poor as you say, I can't see going into sticker debt there as being a good call.

What exactly will your debt be/what are your finances? As ph14 said I don't really see how we can answer this for you right now. With $90K at Berkeley vs. Columbia sticker, I'd head to Berkeley right now. If CLS came up to $50K then it would be more justified.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 am

jbagelboy wrote:I honestly don't understand all the hate directed towards OP here, except the title in caps maybe is a little obnoxious. What did he/she say that was so infuriating? I guess I'm missing something.

Columbia does have a great program for media & entertainment ("soft" IP), and it's the biggest feeder into *arguably* the best big law media firm, Paul Weiss. But if you are poor as you say, I can't see going into sticker debt there as being a good call.

What exactly will your debt be/what are your finances? As ph14 said I don't really see how we can answer this for you right now. With $90K at Berkeley vs. Columbia sticker, I'd head to Berkeley right now. If CLS came up to $50K then it would be more justified.
Also, where do you want to practice OP? I assume probably LA but maybe you want NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:37 am

jbagelboy wrote:I honestly don't understand all the hate directed towards OP here, except the title in caps maybe is a little obnoxious. What did he/she say that was so infuriating? I guess I'm missing something.
Further proof that the OP and Columbia are a match made in heaven

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:40 am

BigZuck wrote:
Relax everyone. Let's try and help out OP. We don't' want to discourage people from coming here and seeking advice.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:44 am

ph14 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Relax everyone. Let's try and help out OP. We don't' want to discourage people from coming here and seeking advice.
*joke*

I do however hope that the OP isn't like that in real life or if he is, learns how to turn it down a few notches, at least for his classmates' sake

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:54 am

BigZuck wrote:
ph14 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
*joke*

I do however hope that the OP isn't like that in real life or if he is, learns how to turn it down a few notches, at least for his classmates' sake
In fairness, I read the OP after it had been edited 4 times. So I really have no idea what it said originally (whatever comments provoked your initial response). In it's current form it doesn't read all that badly, except again for the title and maybe the "inspiring classmates" at CLS (?) not really sure what that means but it's not a huge deal...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:09 pm

"A tad on the insufferable side" is a pretty modest attack, and it also seems like a pretty good guess based on OP's contributions here. My 0L intuition says HYSCCN is the play.

quijotesca1011

Bronze

Post by quijotesca1011 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:16 pm

mlstflst wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:You sound like you'd fit in best at Columbia. Berkeley and UCLA people may not inspire you enough.
thanks for the weigh-in. I have just been impressed by some of CLS's past/present students...it just seems a great place to be pushed.
Do/did you attend Berkeley? If so could you kindly elaborate on why you think Berkeley students might not be inspirational?

I think this might have been part of what people were responding to…

OP, I preface this by saying I am a OL, but I have absolutely no doubt you will find 'inspirational' (intelligent, impressive, whatever your measure for inspirational may be) classmates at any of these three schools.

I assume it goes without saying, but since it appears you didn't realize, Worldtraveler was being sarcastic.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:21 pm

quijotesca1011 wrote:
mlstflst wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:You sound like you'd fit in best at Columbia. Berkeley and UCLA people may not inspire you enough.
thanks for the weigh-in. I have just been impressed by some of CLS's past/present students...it just seems a great place to be pushed.
Do/did you attend Berkeley? If so could you kindly elaborate on why you think Berkeley students might not be inspirational?
Lol yeah OP worldtraveler went to Berkeley and does international human rights work. She was mocking you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”