- Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Choice:

Columbia
13%
Berkeley
6%
U Chi
73%
NYU
8%

Total votes: 48

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: NYU/Columbia/Berkeley/UChi/Penn (need to narrow...)

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:01 am

hcrimson2014 wrote:Uchi is objectively the best school in your list and the only one to offer you a scholarship. It is a no brainer to go to Chicago.
False. No need to go into details why. See, e.g., every placement stat, ranking, and firm hiring partner that ever existed.

More importantly, why is the default NYU once turning down the chicago $ and not CLS? If you care about being close to the SO and money really isn't a concern, I'd go to Columbia. We have a lot of Boston firms at EIP, and people who want to head back get offers. I wouldn't try to penetrate the market with 0 ties but it seems you have some.

I made a similar initial choice between Chicago, NYU, CLS, Berkeley (before HS WL results) last year, although money/scholarships featured more heavily into mine. I'm very satisfied with my choice. (Most) people are very friendly, sociable and active, but also maintain impressive professional lives and work hard. Feel free to PM for details.

mmoffx

New

Post by mmoffx » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:57 pm

-
Last edited by mmoffx on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmoffx

New

Post by mmoffx » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Bumping for any additional thoughts on this last question?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:46 pm

mmoffx wrote:Thanks for all the responses.

Anyone have any thoughts about government placement either straight out or after a couple years at a firm from these schools? NYU seemed to play this up as a strength of theirs at ASW - any opinions on whether UChi or Columbia would put someone in a better position for that type of work?
I am assuming you mean federal government here.

Prospects are very unlikely to be significantly different. Gunning for bigfed directly after graduation from any of them will be very risky and they will all put you in roughly the same position for it. Your most likely path to the government from any of these schools will be via clerking and/or biglaw first. At that point, which CCN you went to will not be the first, second, or twentieth factor in whether or not you get the job.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:28 pm

This is easy:
1. If you want to work in NY, take the $ and go to Chicago
2. If you want to work in NY, but are unwilling to be paid $45k to have to live in Hyde Park (yuck) with a bunch of conservatives for 3 years, Go to Columbia
3. If you want to work in SF, go to Berkeley. If you don't care about working in CA, See options 1 or 2

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”