Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Ole Miss versus Texas Tech

Ole Miss
30%
Texas Tech
70%

Total votes: 10

texasbama

New

Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss

Post by texasbama » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Both schools are about 5k cost of attendance per year. I have plenty of cash saved to pay for school without taking out loans. I currently live in Lubbock, and like it just fine. I would like to practice in Austin, Houston, or Dallas, but only if I went to TTU. On the other hand, I really like Ole Miss. I just fell in love with their school, and the town. I have two small children, and Oxford seems like a great place for them to be for 3 years. I am not looking for big law, just a good, solid job.
If I went to Ole Miss I would love to work on the Gulf Coast, or maybe New Orleans. I could possibly work my way back to Texas. But either way, living in Texas or Mississippi is fungible.
Synopsis
Texas Tech and Ole Miss
-(Ole Miss - 5k.) (Texas Tech - 6k)
-I will be financing my education through savings. We have plenty set aside for school. (90k)
-Significant ties in Mississippi - I have a few friends whose granddads are judges, and I know a few high powered attorneys scattered throughout the southern area of the state. Also have connections in New Orleans.
- Significant ties in Texas - wife's grandfather is a federal judge, we have a pretty good relationship. Father in law knows tons of people involved with oil/gas law out in Midland. I have many mentors of sorts that have extremely good connections in Austin, Dallas, Houston, and DC.
-156/2.43
-I have taken the LSAT once.
Allow me to reiterate that I am not gunning for big law. I could live in either one of these areas. I will not have loans. Retaking is not an option. I really appreciate the help that you guys have given me. I am still wait listed at bama, and I was accepted to LSU, but it is too expensive. I actually was really considering Cumberland (Samford), but my logic was flawed, and I am withdrawing my app tomorrow.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Re: Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:43 pm

texasbama wrote:Both schools are about 5k cost of attendance per year. I have plenty of cash saved to pay for school without taking out loans. I currently live in Lubbock, and like it just fine. I would like to practice in Austin, Houston, or Dallas, but only if I went to TTU. On the other hand, I really like Ole Miss. I just fell in love with their school, and the town. I have two small children, and Oxford seems like a great place for them to be for 3 years. I am not looking for big law, just a good, solid job.
If I went to Ole Miss I would love to work on the Gulf Coast, or maybe New Orleans. I could possibly work my way back to Texas. But either way, living in Texas or Mississippi is fungible.
Synopsis
Texas Tech and Ole Miss
-I will be financing my education through savings. We have plenty set aside for school. (90k)
-Significant ties in Mississippi - I have a few friends whose granddads are judges, and I know a few high powered attorneys scattered throughout the southern area of the state. Also have connections in New Orleans.
- Significant ties in Texas - wife's grandfather is a federal judge, we have a pretty good relationship. Father in law knows tons of people involved with oil/gas law out in Midland. I have many mentors of sorts that have extremely good connections in Austin, Dallas, Houston, and DC.
-156/2.43
Allow me to reiterate that I am not gunning for big law. I could live in either one of these areas. I will not have loans. Retaking is not an option. I really appreciate the help that you guys have given me. I am still wait listed at bama, and I was accepted to LSU, but it is too expensive. I actually was really considering Cumberland (Samford), but my logic was flawed, and I am withdrawing my app tomorrow.
You are wait listed at Bama with a 156/2.43?

texasbama

New

Post by texasbama » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
texasbama wrote:Both schools are about 5k cost of attendance per year. I have plenty of cash saved to pay for school without taking out loans. I currently live in Lubbock, and like it just fine. I would like to practice in Austin, Houston, or Dallas, but only if I went to TTU. On the other hand, I really like Ole Miss. I just fell in love with their school, and the town. I have two small children, and Oxford seems like a great place for them to be for 3 years. I am not looking for big law, just a good, solid job.
Synopsis
Texas Tech and Ole Miss
-156/2.43
You are wait listed at Bama with a 156/2.43?
Yeah I knew that was coming. I have a pretty wild comeback story. While my LSAC GPA is a 2.4, my GPA upon graduation is a 3.71. It has been a wild ride.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:10 pm

You have Texas ties out the a$$, you don't want biglaw, and you like it in Lubbock. I see no reason to uproot your family for a peer school in a different state.

However, you should mind that even aside from biglaw these two schools are both under 60% lawyer-employed in last year's numbers. Not sure I'd settle for those odds if I had people depending on me.

texasbama

New

Post by texasbama » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:19 pm

cron1834 wrote:You have Texas ties out the a$$, you don't want biglaw, and you like it in Lubbock. I see no reason to uproot your family for a peer school in a different state.

However, you should mind that even aside from biglaw these two schools are both under 60% lawyer-employed in last year's numbers. Not sure I'd settle for those odds if I had people depending on me.
Cron, that's a great point. I am prepared to sacrifice nearly all of my time to perform well in law school. I have connections lined up in both schools with 2L's and 3L's. I am not saying that I am going to be at the top of my class, but I have a different sort of drive that I believe puts me in a unique position to outwork most people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:26 pm

OL Disclaimer, but ...

I think people here are generally skeptical of those sorts of predictions - everyone thinks they'll be top-third, but only a third of them end up being right. I'm more interested in those connections. Can grandfather hook you up with a clerkship? That would be huge ...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:40 pm

texasbama wrote: I am not saying that I am going to be at the top of my class, but I have a different sort of drive that I believe puts me in a unique position to outwork most people.
So does every incoming student, according to them. Look around at half the "what are my chances" threads. Everyone thinks they have something special that will make them better than their classmates.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Neither is great, but both are fine as local options at no debt. It sounds like you plan on working back towards TX even if you go to Ole Miss, so there's no reason to leave in the first place. Go to TTU.

texasbama

New

Post by texasbama » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:03 pm

kalvano wrote:
texasbama wrote: I am not saying that I am going to be at the top of my class, but I have a different sort of drive that I believe puts me in a unique position to outwork most people.
So does every incoming student, according to them. Look around at half the "what are my chances" threads. Everyone thinks they have something special that will make them better than their classmates.
Yes, I am very aware of those threads. What should I say? "I'm gunning for a spot in the middle?" All I am saying is that I am going to try very hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texasbama

New

Post by texasbama » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:05 pm

cron1834 wrote:OL Disclaimer, but ...

I think people here are generally skeptical of those sorts of predictions - everyone thinks they'll be top-third, but only a third of them end up being right. I'm more interested in those connections. Can grandfather hook you up with a clerkship? That would be huge ...
It hasn't been discussed. That is not a subject I am willing to breach. Although if I performed very strongly at Tech, I am sure it would be an option.

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:08 pm

texasbama wrote: Retaking is not an option.

why?

lnh819

Bronze

Post by lnh819 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Go to TTU (since you want to be in Texas in the end) but understand that you may be unemployed for 9-18 months post-graduation. You may also have to settle for a job making 35-45k a year, at least for the first 2-4 years of your legal career. Even debt-free, that could prove a hardship as you have children. If you are making more currently, law school may not be the right decision for you.

Also, 35-40% of people at TTU lose their scholarships every year (I'm a TTU student so I'm privy to that data) which means it's harder than you think to make the top 50%. You should expect to graduate in the top 40-60% range of your class (aka: entirely average) and have to settle for Lubbock small-law.

I'm a current student at TTU Law and there's a lot I really like about the school, even if this particular post is pessimistic. PM me questions!

texasbama

New

Post by texasbama » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:20 pm

thevuch wrote:
texasbama wrote: Retaking is not an option.

why?
Besides not having the time to study and retake, I have a 2.4 GPA. Its almost incredible that I am getting scholarships at all with that number, plus a hefty criminal record. I see you did undergrad at Ole Miss, where are you looking at law school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:32 pm

plus a hefty criminal record
?????

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:34 pm

ive narrowed it down to Bama $$$$, UGA$$$, UF$$$, Emory$$, and WashU$ and possibly a retake in june to sit out
if you goto ole miss youre stuck in mississippi.

maybe memphis if youre top of the class.

sounds like you should goto tech man, but still i think you can do better than a 156. maybe retake in june for more scholarship money. thats only like the 67th national percentile. and all the confidence about succeeding in law school, where was it with the LSAT? youre basically competing against the same people you will be in law school. i see the tech median is a 155 last yr with the 75th being a 158. its not given that the LSAT is an accurate indicator for success in law school, but you can only goto law school once and the market is in the shitter. waiting a year for a much better deal/opportunity than tech is a no brainer. If a 156 is the BEST you can do, and youre not willing to retake because you dont have the "time" then that makes me question your commitment to law school. LSAT is king man. you can change everything with a significant improvement, and with a 156 there is room for lots of improvement

texasbama

New

Post by texasbama » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 pm

transferror wrote:
plus a hefty criminal record
?????
Yeah I have a few drug and alcohol charges that are over 7 years old. I'm actually in recovery, and that is part of my "unique application." I have been HEAVILY involved with 12-step groups and related community service over the past 3-4 years. If the bar needs proof of my commitment to sobriety, I have PLENTY of people in high places that can attest to my character.

texasbama

New

Post by texasbama » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:52 pm

thevuch wrote:ive narrowed it down to Bama $$$$, UGA$$$, UF$$$, Emory$$, and WashU$ and possibly a retake in june to sit out

sounds like you should goto tech man, but still i think you can do better than a 156. maybe retake in june for more scholarship money. thats only like the 67th national percentile. and all the confidence about succeeding in law school, where was it with the LSAT? youre basically competing against the same people you will be in law school. i see the tech median is a 155 last yr with the 75th being a 158. its not given that the LSAT is an accurate indicator for success in law school, but you can only goto law school once and the market is in the shitter. waiting a year for a much better deal/opportunity than tech is a no brainer. If a 156 is the BEST you can do, and youre not willing to retake because you dont have the "time" then that makes me question your commitment to law school. LSAT is king man. you can change everything with a significant improvement, and with a 156 there is room for lots of improvement
So you are thinking about sitting out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 pm

texasbama wrote:
thevuch wrote:ive narrowed it down to Bama $$$$, UGA$$$, UF$$$, Emory$$, and WashU$ and possibly a retake in june to sit out

So you are thinking about sitting out?
yeah im thinking about retaking in june and if i hit 169+ ill sit out and try to volunteer for some non-profit charity type law center or just work at a firm to increase WE to make myself a more appealing applicant. but if not and i just maybe increase by a couple of points to a 167 or 168 ill just use it and try to leverage a little more scholarship money from wherever i decide. or if i do worse no big deal

retaking is a win-win these days. they dont average scores and no school is going to rescind an offer based on a lower score

hcrimson2014

Bronze

Post by hcrimson2014 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:09 am

Can you clerk for your grandfather in law after graduation? It sounds like you have tons of top level connections and if you can utilize them effectively, your prospect from either TTU or Ole Miss would be better than many students from the T14s.

hcrimson2014

Bronze

Post by hcrimson2014 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:11 am

kalvano wrote:
OP's grandfather in law IS a federal judge. As far as connection goes, few going to law school could trump that.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 am

hcrimson2014 wrote:Can you clerk for your grandfather in law after graduation? It sounds like you have tons of top level connections and if you can utilize them effectively, your prospect from either TTU or Ole Miss would be better than many students from the T14s.
That would be hell of a nepotism coup to get a federal judge to accept a rando TTU kid as a clerk instead of a candidate with better grades from a better school. I guess anything is possible though.

OP, what specific type of legal job are you looking to get? This isn't a bad option if you want to defend DUIs in the panhandle but I think it's a really bad choice if you want firm work in a place like Austin. Also, what kind of job/pay would you be giving up to go to law school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:26 am

from my experience, connections get you a legitimate look for positions but if youre not qualified then youre fucked.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:36 am

thevuch wrote:from my experience, connections get you a legitimate look for positions but if youre not qualified then youre fucked.
Credited.

Having friends whose grandfathers are judges is not going to really mean anything most likely. Everyone says stuff like that. Most people truly overestimate how strong or misunderstand what a connection really is. If they were so great, you would have gotten into much better schools due to their pull. Not going to be much different in the hiring process. The only connection worthwhile is your grandfather in law, which is a good local connection--I would just go to Tech. Just know that your outcome is likely making 40k in a firm of 1-5 attorneys doing criminal defense/family law/other small town general practice.

I hope your connections are really good on the Gulf Coast. The Coast is a tiny legal market that rarely hires non-locals and gone are the days of Dickie Scruggs tort money. You won't get NOLA from either school. Good luck man.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:51 am

Paying for law school through savings is better than through debt; but not that much better.

Don't go.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:55 am

BigZuck wrote:
hcrimson2014 wrote:Can you clerk for your grandfather in law after graduation? It sounds like you have tons of top level connections and if you can utilize them effectively, your prospect from either TTU or Ole Miss would be better than many students from the T14s.
That would be hell of a nepotism coup to get a federal judge to accept a rando TTU kid as a clerk instead of a candidate with better grades from a better school. I guess anything is possible though.

OP, what specific type of legal job are you looking to get? This isn't a bad option if you want to defend DUIs in the panhandle but I think it's a really bad choice if you want firm work in a place like Austin. Also, what kind of job/pay would you be giving up to go to law school?
This. You need to define "good job" because the majority of jobs from either school are shitlaw. A govt job is probably the best realistic outcome. Your criminal record is definitely also concerning, you should speak to a c/f atty to see if you'll have any issues with the bar. Regarding your GPA, you could probably get into Northwestern with a 170, so there is definitely a huge upside. I know you say you don't want biglaw, but good schools give you a better chance for the remaining non-biglaw good jobs as well.

Then again, if you consider, e.g., personal injury at a 5 person firm a relatively good outcome, you should matriculate at TTU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”