UCLA (90k scholly) vs. USC (135k scholly) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ec24

New

UCLA (90k scholly) vs. USC (135k scholly)

Post by ec24 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Hey everyone,

I really need your help! I am stuck btwn UCLA with 90k scholly (instate) and USC with 135k scholly. UCLA has rejected me several times for scholarship negotiations (which honestly turned me off and made me feel like they didn't want me that badly) so I am stuck btwn the two.

Now, UCLA is a lot costlier given the 45k difference btwn scholarships, even when you factor it the discrepancy in tuition rates. BUT I can save money attending UCLA by living at home. For USC, I would have to commute and spend 12k/year on an apartment.

This pretty much makes (the cost of own apartment+USC= commuting to UCLA from family home+UCLA) the same.

I understand the strength of the Trojan network and UCLA being a bit more prestigious. I also have to give an answer by Monday. Which would you choose? Thanks!

Edit: forgot to mention that I want to live and work in LA, non-negotiable.

EJL123

New

Re: UCLA (90k scholly) vs. USC (135k scholly)

Post by EJL123 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:58 pm

I'm actually in the same boat as you with deadline on Monday as well. I'm an in-state resident and I calculated (for my personal estimates on my own cost of attendance) the tuition difference to be about $27K.

USC ($135K) - UCLA ($117K) = $18K

Basically, your cost of attendance at USC will be around $18K less than UCLA. But then factoring in UCLA's free cost of living compared with USC. Then UCLA ends up being cheaper overall.

My rule of thumb and the credited response that I've seen is to go with the cheaper cost of attendance. Nevertheless, there are strengths of each program that may draw you in more personally. In that case, turning down a higher scholarship elsewhere shouldn't both you if higher ranking/campus/westside location/etc. are more important to you. In that case, by all means go for UCLA.

Either way, you will have two of solid options in LA (though employment prospects mostly confined to LA) than any other law schools in the Southern California area.
Last edited by EJL123 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Whichever is cheaper>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whichever you prefer>flip a coin

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:41 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Whichever is cheaper>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whichever you prefer>flip a coin
I disagree with that, Zuck. I will say, if you're happier at the cheaper one, by all means take it, but I don't think these schools are the coin flip they used to be. USC's numbers have been hit hard compared to UCLA. UCLA has a 12% higher employment score, slightly higher Biglaw, Clerkship, and Public Interest rates, and almost 10% lower underemployment. It's clear UCLA is the better school. Also, anecdotally, one of my friends went to USC on a big scholarship. He's done better than can be expected (top third), but apparently USC students got killed in OCI this year. He said of the people he knew, less than 20% got even a callback. I think USC is a fine option if it's considerably cheaper, but I think in OP's situation, UCLA is a safer bet and what I'd take in his situation.

I know I might have seen like a UCLA fanboy, but I'm a east coaster who didn't like either USC, UCLA, or Berkeley when I visited. I'm just going on the numbers and hearsay. If you love USC and UCLA, USC is a fine option.
But see the class of 2011

I'm going to need more than one year of UCLA clearly ahead of USC in terms of job placement before I acknowledge that USC truly is a TTT in decline. If we had this conversation two years ago you would be saying the opposite.

I don't see anything to indicate that they're not peers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ucla2017

New

Post by ucla2017 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:21 am

I might be biased (look at my name), but I would honestly choose UCLA. The USC network definitely is strong, and it is a lot stronger than UCLA's network. However, I've talked to recent graduates on both sides and they told me that the network usually only applies to USC's film, undergrad, and something else (I think it was business). In law school, not that much.

Also, from what I recall ABA used different methodology this year. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TRUE THIS IS. It is "supposed" to show more accurate results. DO NOT QUOTE ME I DO NOT KNOW HOW TRUE THIS IS. I would do my own research and see.

Either way I would choose UCLA for the atmosphere, the law school building (I'm assuming you saw USC's building), and the area. I was also choosing between the two, and I actually am from Southeast L.A. So it would've been closer to USC. Additionally, people worldwide know UCLA, but not too much know about USC. I feel UCLA may have a better national presence as well.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:52 pm

If USC is 18k or so cheaper than UCLA, take USC. They are peer schools in every way imaginable. UCLA may have slightly more "national reach" but at the point where you only want to work in Los Angeles, that doesn't even matter.

ec24

New

Post by ec24 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks for the advise guys. I am really put off by USC's location. And honestly, a non-SC grad will always regard UCLA as a bit more prestigious than USC. But the trade off is that the USC law alum network is incredible (the rumors ARE true). I guess I'm leaning towards UCLA but it's hard to pass up the money.

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:11 pm

I don't understand all this talk about USC's alumni network. I mean, it probably exists, but to the extent that it does we should see it reflected in the school's employment numbers. Beyond that I'm not sure what tangible benefits it confers (maybe some USC law grads can chime in on this).

Oh, and maybe UCLA thinks they're definitively better than USC now, due to the new rankings, and thats why they're not playing ball. Who knows.

Where do you live that you can commute to UCLA but not USC? Anyways the prices seem close enough I would pick whichever one would make you happier.
Last edited by furrrman on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Have you tried negotiating with UCLA? They might throw a bit more money at you. But I'm also aware their deposit deadline is this Monday and they haven't been good at extending deadlines.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:28 pm

I would pick based on preference. I would probably pick UCLA. The downside is if you will have difficulty studying at home. The benefit is, hopefully, having someone to help you with things (groceries, etc.), probably a nicer place to live than an apartment. Plus Westwood is a nicer place to live than downtown.

Scuppers

New

Post by Scuppers » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Free rent plus in-state tuition beats a 15k a year scholly.
UCLA is therefore cheaper.
UCLA therefore wins.

ec24

New

Post by ec24 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:06 pm

I live much closer to UCLA than USC. It takes 35 minutes to get home from UCLA at rush hour but 1 hour (maybe more) from USC. That's a heavy hit during 1L. The preference against downtown LA is really the factor swaying me towards UCLA. I tried negotiating with them twice last week, and was rejected both times. I think since I kept reiterating that they were my top choice, they knew I would go even with this discrepancy. Has anyone had any success asking for more money later on? I feel like I've used all my leverage (except if Penn wait list turns into acceptance).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EJL123

New

Post by EJL123 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:32 pm

FWIW, 5 people I talked to at USC Law Day yesterday tried negotiating with UCLA using a higher USC scholarship. 4 of them were denied, and 1 of them barely got a significant increase. It seems like they're holding pat with the money until after the 4/21 Monday deadline. 3 of them were leaning towards UCLA and the other 2 towards USC. You can see why UCLA isn't negotiating, because it seems like they expect a good portion of their accepted applicants to deposit and matriculate.

In your case, it sounds like you've made your decision. Just go to UCLA. It'll be cheaper anyways for you considering cost of living so why fret any further?

Like I said previously, because of your in-state status, your UCLA scholarship is actually $117K. So the $18K difference between UCLA and USC in your situation is made up by the fact that you'll save $12K/YR living at home at UCLA. This means UCLA is ultimately $18K cheaper for you.

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:16 pm

UCLA has better placement rates and the total cost to you will be less. Go with UCLA.

ec24

New

Post by ec24 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. Its just so hard to turn down that much money and pay 2x more for tuition across town!

EJL123

New

Post by EJL123 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:05 pm

ec24 wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. Its just so hard to turn down that much money and pay 2x more for tuition across town!
Totally understand how you feel. The difference between your two scholarships is exactly the same as the difference between mine at UCLA/USC. Even a $15K increase at UCLA would make the decision very clear for me... and probably for you as well.

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:56 pm

UCLA

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”