The fact about Racism in Biglaw Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bonquiqui1990

New

The fact about Racism in Biglaw

Post by bonquiqui1990 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Let's face it, the EEOC's data is hardly focused on that of African-Americans and nor is any of the other mainstream literature in this area. African-Americans are ridiculously underrepresented in mid/small law, and big-law, though better, is not far behind. The data is all here and it's remarkably unfair for those of us who are trying to enter a field dominated by white males with implicit racial biases. Is there really a point for an African-American like me to shoot for HYS?

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/statistics/rep ... wfirms.pdf

Jwood

New

Re: The fact about Racism in Biglaw

Post by Jwood » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Ummmm. Your wrong. You are at a significant advantage being a minority. Law firms are trying to raise their minority numbers. They aren't racists.....

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 pm

kill whitey

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Jwood wrote:Ummmm. Your wrong. You are at a significant advantage being a minority. Law firms are trying to raise their minority numbers. They aren't racists.....
Even if they are, they need to up dose numbers so OP will be fine. They might not like you, but they will def hire you......

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:28 pm

* reads name of poaster *

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:* reads name of poaster *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkdcYlOn5M

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Jwood wrote:Ummmm. Your wrong. You are at a significant advantage being a minority. Law firms are trying to raise their minority numbers. They aren't racists.....
I think this is true. Most firms want to portray themselves as diverse and inclusive, and they actively do minority outreach precisely because of the skewed numbers. THey aren't blind to the lack of minority representation.

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:33 pm

the fact that there are low numbers of AA's in biglaw does not mean that this is an effect of biglaw hiring practices.

your OP seems a lot like a flaw-type LSAT question. cause =/ correlation.
Last edited by loomstate on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:34 pm

law firms have been doing "diversity" hiring for years and minorities are still under represented so...think about that for a second

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bonquiqui1990

New

Post by bonquiqui1990 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:42 pm

All these white people saying, "you black, you have it good" "what the hell are you talking about?
..... Are any of you black? You know what it's like to step foot in the white corporate world with black skin? I'll tell you it's not easy.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:* reads name of poaster *

... BAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAH.

this has to be a troll.

baloneydanza

Bronze

Post by baloneydanza » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm

bonquiqui1990 wrote:All these white people saying, "you black, you have it good" "what the hell are you talking about?
..... Are any of you black? You know what it's like to step foot in the white corporate world with black skin? I'll tell you it's not easy.
Yes, but why should this preclude people of color (particularly black people) from going to HYS? I'm asking as a POC (raised by white parents, for what it's worth).

bonquiqui1990

New

Post by bonquiqui1990 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:00 pm

baloneydanza wrote:
bonquiqui1990 wrote:All these white people saying, "you black, you have it good" "what the hell are you talking about?
Yes, but why should this preclude people of color (particularly black people) from going to HYS? I'm asking as a POC (raised by white parents, for what it's worth).
It doesn't have to. I was asking about that myself.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nedstarksbastard

New

Post by nedstarksbastard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Congrats to the commenters on this post for proving OP's point about racism in the legal community. Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm frightened if the lawyers of tomorrow don't have the critical thinking and observational skills to check their privilege and acknowledge that racism is still a huge issue.
Last edited by nedstarksbastard on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonquiqui1990

New

Post by bonquiqui1990 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:19 pm

patogordo wrote:kill whitey
Yeah..not sure what this is about..

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:22 pm

bonquiqui1990 wrote:
patogordo wrote:kill whitey
Yeah..not sure what this is about..
you got a better idea?

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 pm

nedstarksbastard wrote:Congrats to the commenters on this post for proving OP's point about racism in the legal community. Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm frightened if the lawyers of tomorrow don't have the critical thinking and observational skills to check their provilege and acknowledge that racism is still a huge issue.
provilege is the new preftige.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

baloneydanza

Bronze

Post by baloneydanza » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:24 pm

bonquiqui1990 wrote:
baloneydanza wrote:
It doesn't have to. I was asking about that myself.
I think it's worth shooting for HYS if they'll help you achieve your goals, which they will even if you have no interest in biglaw or corporate shit.

gma221

Bronze

Post by gma221 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:28 pm

nedstarksbastard wrote:Congrats to the commenters on this post for proving OP's point about racism in the legal community. Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm frightened if the lawyers of tomorrow don't have the critical thinking and observational skills to check their privilege and acknowledge that racism is still a huge issue.
+1

Sigh.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:29 pm

(watches to see how long it takes until the thread gets locked)

BanjoCalhoun

New

Post by BanjoCalhoun » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Could be underrepresented in biglaw primarily because they're already underrepresented in law school overall. The original source of the problem goes way further back than hiring committees.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jdempewo

New

Post by Jdempewo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 pm

A better title is "the fundamental problem with diversity in biglaw."

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 pm

racism?

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:44 pm

You seem to be stereotyping biglaw lawyers based on previous exp in corporate America, contrary to the available evidence (e.g., diversity hiring in biglaw). Shame on you OP.. stereotyping is bad.

guyfox

New

Post by guyfox » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Similarly, do you know what it's like to step foot in a male dominated corporate world as a woman? Being a minority in a field is never easy. That doesn't mean you should give up and just let the patterns continue. And today, bringing diversity to the table is typically a good thing.
Last edited by guyfox on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”