TTU (Full-ride) vs LSU( Full ride) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kevinlomax

Bronze

TTU (Full-ride) vs LSU( Full ride)

Post by Kevinlomax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:32 am

COA of both:$0, Will be using my GI BIll which gives a housing allowance so rent will be paid for. I have money saved up for books and living expenses. If i stay disciplined I will have no debt upon graduation and no undergraduate debt.

Info

Ties in Texas
Want to work in litigation or oil/ natural gas
enjoyed visits to both schools

Pros of Tech:
Very friendly
Will be located in Texas
I really enjoyed Lubbock
New Graduate housing across the street from the law school

Pro's of LSU
Higher ranked
Big push into oil/ natural gas
Better LST numbers

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Re: TTU (Full-ride) vs LSU( Full ride)

Post by Kevinlomax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:06 am

shameless bump

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:07 am

don't weight the rankings. how different are the LST numbers?

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Post by Kevinlomax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 am

LSU (65%) vs TTU (55%)

underemployment LSU(10.1%), TTU(20%)

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:16 am

Did you not get any money from SMU/UH?

If not, I am actually going to recommend just asking other oil/gas attorneys what is better. I know LSU does place well in LA, but I am not sure if it places better in TX than TTU. Also, I would recommend retaking to try to get into UT if you can. But free law school at LSU/TTU for oil and gas isn't terrible. I'd talk to oil/gas ppl about what they think though. Probably LST numbers would be best tiebreaker

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:17 am

Kevinlomax wrote:LSU (65%) vs TTU (55%)

underemployment LSU(10.1%), TTU(20%)
Probably your answer as long as you're willing to live in Louisiana

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 am

TCR here is going to be retake. Unless your GPA is sub 3.0, you should be looking at least in the UTAustin range with an okay LSAT score. You don't need to get a 170+ score here, but attending either of these schools for free when you have the potential to attend somewhere significantly better for free is a no brainer.

Also, do you have prior connections to oil/gas industry? It is incredibly rare/never happens for either industry to hire in house counsel right out of law school.

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Post by Kevinlomax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:19 am

gpa 2.65, lsat 160, military softs

waitlisted at SMU/ UH

rejected at UT

I do have a lot of West Point connections in oil/ natural gas, however my initial plan was to start as a landman and then move in-house

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:25 am

Kevinlomax wrote:gpa 2.65, lsat 160, military softs

waitlisted at SMU/ UH

rejected at UT

I do have a lot of West Point connections in oil/ natural gas, however my initial plan was to start as a landman and then move in-house
With only a 160, deposit at LSU, but prep hard and retake to try get into UT with money for next cycle

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 am

Yikes, okay, well, seeing as your GPA will keep you out of most places regardless and your landman -> in house is not actually a terrible plan from either TTU or LSU, I'd probably go with your personal preference. Since the spot you're going for is really not even indicative of LST numbers (since the JD Advantage spot should presumably be equally accessible from both schools, really), TTU is not at all a bad choice here.

Good luck.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:27 am

With only a 160, deposit at LSU, but prep hard and retake to try get into UT with money for next cycle
Dude, he has a full ride with the GI Bill, his GPA is terrible, and he doesn't want to be an attorney. The only way this makes sense is if he wants to delay his career another year for some reason.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:30 am

yeah both of these are good options. I'd lean Tech but that may just be because I don't know much about LSU's reputation in oil and gas.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:31 am

twenty wrote:
Dude, he has a full ride with the GI Bill, his GPA is terrible, and he doesn't want to be an attorney. The only way this makes sense is if he wants to delay his career another year for some reason.
Yeah, good point. I didn't really know what a landman was. But free is why I said deposit. I do know LSU is big in oil and gas. So just pick whichever is better for you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:34 am

Sorry bobs, not to be an asshole. I thought you were being openly belligerent. :oops:

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 am

twenty wrote:Sorry bobs, not to be an asshole. I thought you were being openly belligerent. :oops:

It's cool.

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Post by Kevinlomax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:39 am

thanks for the advice everyone. My main concern is that if I decide i do not like oil/ natural gas i dont want to be scrambling

Personal preference? I can go either way....

I was all set to go to LSU and something about TTU when I visited sucked me in. Maybe it was the lazy river on campus? i dont know haha

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:01 am

I'm from the area and TT undergrad has gotten landman jobs for more than one person that I know. I think with Texas ties, staying close, military, and networking a little while you're there you're you'll have a really good outcome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Post by Kevinlomax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:11 am

my worry about going the landman route is that in 3 years leases could be all dried up? how much more exploration and land to drill/ lease could be left? unless oil companies start getting into other shale plays

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:25 am

Kevinlomax wrote:my worry about going the landman route is that in 3 years leases could be all dried up? how much more exploration and land to drill/ lease could be left? unless oil companies start getting into other shale plays
Well then you fall back on a free law degree. It sounds like you're leaning Texas, and your ties are there, so I'd go with that. The Texas economy is probably the strongest in the country right now. Not a bad bet to piggy back onto that. GL and congrats. You can't go wrong with either of these choices.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am

Disclaimer*** I'm a 0L, but from what you said about your Texas ties, I would lean towards TTU. I know having military experience can give you a bump when you apply for certain jobs, and you said you wanted to be in Texas, so that's the way I would lean.

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 am

Current student at TTU. Also prior military with gi bill and such. TTU does cash out scholarships from the school so this can be a tie breaker. Also we have numerous prior JAGs here, so if your interested in re-entering the military as JAG this can be very helpful. Other then that, with a full ride, prior military, and no desire to be an attorney, I say go Tech. With vet pref. you can easily land a non-attorney GS job so with no debt there really isn't much risk associated with either choice, but come on, who really wants to live in Louisiana?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”