Mich v GULC v UVA all sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wambo

New

Mich v GULC v UVA all sticker

Post by wambo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44 pm

First poast here

Schools: As of now I'm deciding between mich, GULC, and UVA all at sticker. I have half scholarships at vandy and wustl.

Goals: I want to clerk after law school, then biglaw litigation, then eventually transition to AUSA or DOJ. Ideally I'd like DC>Chicago> NYC.

Numbers: 3.2/170. Taken LSAT three times.

I have a humanities major and no prospect for making a substantial amount of money in my current job. I'm 3 years out of undergrad and I've worked in a private school making around 30k. I will be paying loans for tuition but family will cover COL. I dont have substantial ties in any area where I want to end up.

As of now I'm leaning UVA due to placement in DC.

Also, I've tried negotiating but no $ from anyone.

Advice?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: Mich v GULC v UVA all sticker

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Clerk then big law and then AUSA? Are you sure? What about a SCOTUS clerkship? Don't you want to make partner also?

wambo

New

Post by wambo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Clerk then big law and then AUSA? Are you sure? What about a SCOTUS clerkship? Don't you want to make partner also?
I'm aware they're lofty goals, and i may have to reevaluate at some point. That said, is there a good option here?

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:02 pm

wambo wrote:First poast here

Schools: As of now I'm deciding between mich, GULC, and UVA all at sticker. I have half scholarships at vandy and wustl.

Goals: I want to clerk after law school, then biglaw litigation, then eventually transition to AUSA or DOJ. Ideally I'd like DC>Chicago> NYC.

Numbers: 3.2/170. Taken LSAT three times.

I have a humanities major and no prospect for making a substantial amount of money in my current job. I'm 3 years out of undergrad and I've worked in a private school making around 30k. I will be paying loans for tuition but family will cover COL. I dont have substantial ties in any area where I want to end up.

As of now I'm leaning UVA due to placement in DC.

Also, I've tried negotiating but no $ from anyone.

Advice?
UVa can get you to DC, Chicago, and NYC biglaw. Obviously sticker is a lot, but good luck to you. Think about back-up plans now (such as other smaller markets you can target regional biglaw pre-OCI), but your goals are fine for this level of school (I mean who knows if you'll end up a AUSA but Biglaw as a first outcome is realistic goal).

Also, UVa > GULC. Michigan could be better for Chicago, but UVa does not close any of those doors either. So, I'd go to UVa if I were you.

3L2014

New

Post by 3L2014 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 pm

UVA seems like the right call for you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wambo

New

Post by wambo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks a bunch! I had been going back and forth mostly on UVA and Mich, so thanks for the advice!

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 pm

You need a realistic backup plan. Ideally 2 or 3 realistic backup plans. And you need to be excited about those backup plans. If you're not then you shouldn't be going to these schools, especially at these prices.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:19 pm

If you can get Virginia residency for 2L and 3L, 3 yrs w/ interest but no CoL will shackle you at roughly ~$175,000.

I would take UVa. This is heavy debt, but given you're a splitter, there are worse outcomes. Congrats and good luck.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:13 am

Nothing, but than again there's no school I'd take at sticker, however, given the choices and your goals, UVA by far, but sheesh, sticker?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wambo

New

Post by wambo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:40 am

Nomo wrote:You need a realistic backup plan. Ideally 2 or 3 realistic backup plans. And you need to be excited about those backup plans. If you're not then you shouldn't be going to these schools, especially at these prices.
I do have a couple of back up plans, and I have a few family legal connections in a smaller market if I absolutely strike out. I don't love the idea of so much debt, but since I can't repeat college I don't see a better option than going to the best possible law school to try and reach my initial goals.

wambo

New

Post by wambo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:42 am

El Principe wrote:Nothing, but than again there's no school I'd take at sticker, however, given the choices and your goals, UVA by far, but sheesh, sticker?
Yeah I think my GPA is really my downfall. I've considered retaking, but 1. I hit my practice test average at 170, and 2. I've spoken with admitted students at all these schools with much better GPAs and higher LSAT scores and many of them didn't receive aid, either.

wambo

New

Post by wambo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:44 am

jbagelboy wrote:If you can get Virginia residency for 2L and 3L, 3 yrs w/ interest but no CoL will shackle you at roughly ~$175,000.

I would take UVa. This is heavy debt, but given you're a splitter, there are worse outcomes. Congrats and good luck.
Do you get in-state residency by performing well 1L and convincing the school to offer a better deal for the remaining years? And thanks for the advice and encouragement!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 am

You get in-state residence by presenting evidence that you intend to live in VA after law school. This seems unlikely. I guess if you were to get a job in DC you could theoretically still be living in VA, but I doubt evidence of a job in DC would convince them of much. I wouldn't count on getting in-state tuition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nordi

New

Post by nordi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:19 am

wambo wrote:
Nomo wrote:You need a realistic backup plan. Ideally 2 or 3 realistic backup plans. And you need to be excited about those backup plans. If you're not then you shouldn't be going to these schools, especially at these prices.
I do have a couple of back up plans, and I have a few family legal connections in a smaller market if I absolutely strike out. I don't love the idea of so much debt, but since I can't repeat college I don't see a better option than going to the best possible law school to try and reach my initial goals.
I actually think anyone telling you that you have to reevaluate your goals is being harsh. Those seem like good goals. Michigan or UVA would set you up well for them. There's a difference between district court AIII clerkships and doing something on an appellate court. One is available to maybe a third of students at UVA or Mich., the other is available only to a handful. If you want to do litigation, this sounds like a good plan. Granted, it's a lot of debt. See if you can get a scholarship from one of the schools. Maybe, tell both UVA and Michigan that for $15,000 a year, you're there.

lecsa

Bronze

Post by lecsa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 am

None of the above. Try to get $$

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:47 am

See you at UVA!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53 am

I'd pit Vandy and WUSTL against your Michigan and UVA acceptances and see if you can't bounce those up to 105kish. Barring that, go enlist for three years and come back with the full GI bill or something. Even if someone else is picking up your COL, that's still a bit nuts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 am

nordi wrote:
wambo wrote:
I actually think anyone telling you that you have to reevaluate your goals is being harsh. Those seem like good goals. Michigan or UVA would set you up well for them. There's a difference between district court AIII clerkships and doing something on an appellate court. One is available to maybe a third of students at UVA or Mich., the other is available only to a handful. If you want to do litigation, this sounds like a good plan. Granted, it's a lot of debt. See if you can get a scholarship from one of the schools. Maybe, tell both UVA and Michigan that for $15,000 a year, you're there.
A third of Michigan and UVA students might have a shot at federal district court clerkships (particularly in less desirable locations). But, in my experience a student in the top 25% probably only has a 10% chance of landing a d.ct. clerkship, and that's assuming they apply to pretty much every opening on OSCAR.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 am

UVA is the only good option for your choices but sticker is a lot to take on, especially since your goals are such a crapshoot at any school outside HYS. I think the only thing you can bet on getting is BigLaw, and even that isn't 100%. Reevaluate your goals and make sure that you understand you will either be paying a lot each month to pay back debt via LRAP for 10 years, or you will have to work at BigLaw for 5+ years.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 am

wambo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:If you can get Virginia residency for 2L and 3L, 3 yrs w/ interest but no CoL will shackle you at roughly ~$175,000.

Do you get in-state residency by performing well 1L and convincing the school to offer a better deal for the remaining years? And thanks for the advice and encouragement!
As a Virginia resident, I can tell you it is extremely hard to get in-state tuition to any school in Virginia without moving there and working for a year before you start school.

wambo

New

Post by wambo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:27 pm

twenty wrote:I'd pit Vandy and WUSTL against your Michigan and UVA acceptances and see if you can't bounce those up to 105kish. Barring that, go enlist for three years and come back with the full GI bill or something. Even if someone else is picking up your COL, that's still a bit nuts.
I'm still attempting to negotiate, though I doubt it will do much, considering my low GPA. Also, I'd rather go to Cooley than enlist--it's something I'm very much against. But thanks for the candid advice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wambo

New

Post by wambo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:30 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:UVA is the only good option for your choices but sticker is a lot to take on, especially since your goals are such a crapshoot at any school outside HYS. I think the only thing you can bet on getting is BigLaw, and even that isn't 100%. Reevaluate your goals and make sure that you understand you will either be paying a lot each month to pay back debt via LRAP for 10 years, or you will have to work at BigLaw for 5+ years.
Yeah I understand that it's somewhat unlikely that I'll be able to clerk, more likely I'll be in Biglaw, and a significant chance I'll strike out altogether. With that said, I have a backup plan for each scenario. While not ideal, I think this gives me the best chance at my targeted goals, thought I may be an indentured servant for 5-10+ years after graduation!

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:33 pm

wambo wrote:
twenty wrote:I'd pit Vandy and WUSTL against your Michigan and UVA acceptances and see if you can't bounce those up to 105kish. Barring that, go enlist for three years and come back with the full GI bill or something. Even if someone else is picking up your COL, that's still a bit nuts.
I'm still attempting to negotiate, though I doubt it will do much, considering my low GPA. Also, I'd rather go to Cooley than enlist--it's something I'm very much against. But thanks for the candid advice.
People haven't had much luck negotiating with UVa this cycle.
Enlisting in the military just for the GI Bill is a pretty terrible idea IMO.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
wambo wrote:
People haven't had much luck negotiating with UVa this cycle.
Enlisting in the military just for the GI Bill is a pretty terrible idea IMO.
I agree, so when I say sticker at any of these is a worse idea, that's how bad of an idea this is.

wambo

New

Post by wambo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:56 pm

I know it's a ton of debt, but if I'm going to law school at all, I don't see my prospects improving beyond these options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”