. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Last edited by gta on Wed May 07, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Duke ($$) vs. WUSTL ($$$$)

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:24 pm

100K is a lot of cash especially if you're cool with the Midwest and aren't dying to get big law. 80K is still a healthy chunk of change to pay off though.

I guess I say WUSTL here.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Last edited by gta on Wed May 07, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:38 pm

gta wrote:
BigZuck wrote:80K is still a healthy chunk of change to pay off though.
I'm hoping the COA budgets are a little inflated--for both Duke as well as WUSTL. I'll be living as frugally as I can over the next three years in either spot.
For COL, STL is doable for 15-17k per year without a car, 17-19k with one.

But with interest on that and on your small amount of tuition and books everything, it's still gonna be 65k minimum. Working 2L and 3L in some paying capacity would be helpful though obviously.

Your stated preferences lead me to think Duke aint 100k better than WUSTL. (I have soon-to-be-attending-WUSTL bias, full disclosure).

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 pm

Fiero85 wrote: Your stated preferences lead me to think Duke aint 100k better than WUSTL. (I have soon-to-be-attending-WUSTL bias, full disclosure).
This is a fair assesment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Unless you're totally unwilling to work in NYC, I vote Duke. I don't think having no specific goals favors WUSTL. Having no goals favors Duke where your most likely outcome is quite a bit better. If you end up going for biglaw, which you probably will, you'll be happy to have the extra wiggle room.

I take it Northwestern wouldn't match Duke? NU gives you the midwest and much better placement than WUSTL.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Nelson wrote:Unless you're totally unwilling to work in NYC, I vote Duke. I don't think having no specific goals favors WUSTL. Having no goals favors Duke where your most likely outcome is quite a bit better. If you end up going for biglaw, which you probably will, you'll be happy to have the extra wiggle room.

I take it Northwestern wouldn't match Duke? NU gives you the midwest and much better placement than WUSTL
True, if your main goal is Big Law litigation, which would make the most sense (idk what other kind of litigation is worth shooting for, anybody care to give a break down?) then Duke has significantly more grade ranges where you can make that happen. Even more so if you're going for DC.

He's also right that if the Midwest is a priority or significant preference, Northwestern has to be considered (it's a peer of Duke with much more of a Midwest focus), unless they refuse to play ball on price tag.

I for one am pretty debt averse, so I would prioritize a higher "floor" with the lower debt, over a higher "ceiling" with more room for worse grades at Duke.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Nelson wrote:Unless you're totally unwilling to work in NYC, I vote Duke. I don't think having no specific goals favors WUSTL. Having no goals favors Duke where your most likely outcome is quite a bit better. If you end up going for biglaw, which you probably will, you'll be happy to have the extra wiggle room.

I take it Northwestern wouldn't match Duke? NU gives you the midwest and much better placement than WUSTL.
I don't think NU is all that interested in matching Duke. The midwest schools are weird like that.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:33 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:47 pm

I would choose WUSTL. I am at a lower ranked law school and turned down the same $ at Duke. When you calculate the cost difference you need to include the accrued interest on the loan and the forgone interest you would have received.

3L2014

New

Post by 3L2014 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Going to WUSTL with no previous ties to midwest seems like you could be shortchanging your future

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:00 pm

3L2014 wrote:Going to WUSTL with no previous ties to midwest seems like you could be shortchanging your future
..."Where I am from: Upper Midwest"...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:17 pm

I think taking Duke with 75k is completely justified here. It's a lot of debt, but that's a decent chunk off sticker esp. for a splitter. The best choice is taking a few years off, getting work experience, and reapplying (maybe for $$ at NU?), but I'm assuming you're not going to do that. You're a K-JD with no idea what kind of law you want to do. I would bet money that that means you're going to be gunning for a firm job at OCI with the rest of the class. The chances of you getting a job through that process are dramatically better at Duke than WUSTL.

Your modal outcome at Duke is NYC biglaw with 200k-ish in debt. Your path to that outcome is OCI. Your worst case scenario downside is magnified because you're going to have a lot of debt.

Your modal outcome at WUSTL is much more uncertain. You're more likely than not to fail to get a big firm job through OCI and end up pursuing mass mail/networking/etc. to get a small firm job, or gov't, or anything that will pay you to be a lawyer. You're going to be doing that with the comparative disadvantage of no work experience. Your best case scenario upside is magnified slightly by not having debt and you'll have more flexibility to pursue unconventional routes to employment (but not that much because even cost of living loans are still nothing to sneeze at).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3L2014

New

Post by 3L2014 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
3L2014 wrote:Going to WUSTL with no previous ties to midwest seems like you could be shortchanging your future
..."Where I am from: Upper Midwest"...
Sorry, I was posting under the assumption you wanted DC--my bad.

staysha

New

Post by staysha » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:49 pm

This seems like a pretty easy call depending on your career goals. You say can go either way on a) biglaw b) DC c) the midwest. Well if you decide you want biglaw and/or DC, Duke for 180k is probably the answer. If you decide you want the midwest, and are okay without biglaw, then obviously WUSTL is the right call.

Also FWIW, I was a splitter a few cycles ago and WUSTL bumped me up in scholarships a couple times (2 or 3) just because I kept bugging them asking for more cash. So if you haven't sufficiently annoyed them, it might be worth trying again.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:37 am

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:47 am

Neither choice is great. Neither is terrible. It really is a close call depending on your goals. Think hard about whether you want to commit to biglaw and how much you value the possibility of being in DC. Also consider the risk of being median or below. At Duke, biglaw is still possible at median. Not so much at WUSTL, but since you're unsure about biglaw and the debt at WUSTL won't force you down that path, it may not be a concern. Below median at either and I'd rather be in the 80k boat with ties in the midwest. WUSTL is the low risk play with the same upside for biglaw if you're top 25%, the only huge advantage at Duke is access to DC and more security at median. Personally, I'd take WUSTL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm

gta wrote:Shameless bump but I'm still struggling with this decision and would appreciate any additional perspectives.
I think the thread has spoken. Nelly said Duke, most everyone else said WUSTL. Now it's up to you bro.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayman12

New

Post by jayman12 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:33 pm

k
Last edited by jayman12 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”