~3.6 174 - exploring options, where to apply, etc. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dog

Bronze

~3.6 174 - exploring options, where to apply, etc.

Post by Dog » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:02 am

Edit: I ended up applying for the Northwestern ED and I got it, so I'll be starting there in the fall. See post below for more info.

background: ~3.6 174 at a big state school. I am graduating this May and will be out of school for at least one year between undergrad and law school.

Right now I'm pretty much rating schools as follows:

1. I want a school that gives me biglaw options, but I definitely prefer less debt to a higher chance at biglaw.
2. I do not have a major preference for markets. I might give a very slight advantage to Chicago over New York (I'm convinced I'll end up at one or the other). West coast is a complete wild card for me, I'm sure I would favor the weather but I've never been out there. I don't really have significant ties to any major markets, but I don't plan on returning home to Michigan.

According to myLSN/LST numbers, my debt at CCN would probably be insane. My best shot at significant money in the t14 appears to be Cornell and Northwestern. I favor Northwestern between these two for location but it seems as though Cornell might be a better bet for employment numbers, and they are not as big on WE.

Do you guys think it's possible to get in at NU ED (150k) with my numbers? I have a below median GPA and 1 year between is definitely weak for WE there. If ED'ing there is viable, that would probably be my best option. I'm not sure if I'd consider anywhere outside of the t14, maybe USC/UCLA just to enjoy SoCal? :D
Last edited by Dog on Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Balthy

Silver

Re: ~3.6 174 - exploring options, where to apply, etc.

Post by Balthy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:14 am

Since you want to wait a year anyway, have you thought about just staying in undergrad? How much would straight As for a year bring up your GPA?

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:17 am

Balthy wrote:Since you want to wait a year anyway, have you thought about just staying in undergrad? How much would straight As for a year bring up your GPA?
Eh.. that would cost a lot. What would I do in undergrad for a year? I have actually considered doing an EMT program at community college this summer. Still, those 14 credits would only boost my GPA by about 0.04 (making it maybe 3.65 at the highest, assuming I 4.0'd them).

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:40 am

Dog wrote:
Balthy wrote:Since you want to wait a year anyway, have you thought about just staying in undergrad? How much would straight As for a year bring up your GPA?
Eh.. that would cost a lot. What would I do in undergrad for a year? I have actually considered doing an EMT program at community college this summer. Still, those 14 credits would only boost my GPA by about 0.04 (making it maybe 3.65 at the highest, assuming I 4.0'd them).
You can do anything easy to boost your GPA as long as you don't officially graduate. Anything after graduating won't count. But yeah maybe it's not worth it in your case.

I also don't have great WE. I got into NU but am hesitant to pick it since I don't want to be competing against a bunch of people with better WE than me during OCI. Some say at OCI you'll stick out like a sore thumb if you don't have decent WE at NU, others say it shouldn't be a problem any more than it would be at other schools.. i dont really know but it's another thing to think about. I would target Duke and Cornell if I were you. Both place primarily in NYC and you need that since you have no ties to any large markets. From my understanding Chicago biglaw is pretty hard to get without ties.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:34 am

Balthy wrote:
Dog wrote:
You can do anything easy to boost your GPA as long as you don't officially graduate. Anything after graduating won't count. But yeah maybe it's not worth it in your case.

I also don't have great WE. I got into NU but am hesitant to pick it since I don't want to be competing against a bunch of people with better WE than me during OCI. Some say at OCI you'll stick out like a sore thumb if you don't have decent WE at NU, others say it shouldn't be a problem any more than it would be at other schools.. i dont really know but it's another thing to think about. I would target Duke and Cornell if I were you. Both place primarily in NYC and you need that since you have no ties to any large markets. From my understanding Chicago biglaw is pretty hard to get without ties.
I've also considered the disadvantage of competing against NU students with more WE as a potential problem. I'm not sure about the difficulty in getting Chicago biglaw without ties, I've heard it's easier there than most places (minus New York). Also, if there's ANY major legal market I have ties to prior to going to law school, it's definitely Chicago. It's only about three hours away and I have a small amount of family there. I've never lived in Chicago, but I'm still a midwesterner. I'm not sure how much this helps me? I feel like being a midwesterner and going to school in Chicago would give me decent ties. Being somewhat close to home could be a bit advantageous.

edit: Also a note on ED'ing NU with my numbers... I found three people with pretty comparable stats to me that chose to ED NU in the past three years (all were in the 2012-2013 cycle), and all three got in. Their stats were:

174 3.48 1-2 years out of undergrad
172 3.69 1-2 years out of undergrad
172 3.67 k-jd

My stats would look like

174 3.6-3.65 1-2 years out of undergrad

This leads me to believe I have at least SOME chance at getting in NU ED, if it hasn't gotten more difficult. Admissions numbers have mostly fallen since then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 am

Make sure to gun this last semester. Every hundredth on the GPA helps.

I think NU ED is a good idea. If you don't get it you'll still end up with some big time scholarships in the T-14, and if you do get it you'll have a near full ride at a school that places really well into biglaw locked up by December.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:12 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:15 am

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:59 am

ED NU and blanket from NYU down. Good chance at CC but if you're debt adverse you're not getting a big discount. Cornell and NU are going to be your best options for NY/Chicago and if there offers are comparable you should take whichever you prefer. Congrats on the LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:14 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:ED NU and blanket from NYU down. Good chance at CC but if you're debt adverse you're not getting a big discount. Cornell and NU are going to be your best options for NY/Chicago and if there offers are comparable you should take whichever you prefer. Congrats on the LSAT score.
That's probably what I'll do, except I'll throw apps at Chicago and Columbia too. Columbia offered me a fee waiver this past cycle and Chicago seems to be a bit of an anomaly in that they offer more money to people with my stats, but it becomes a 50-50 that I'll get in (it's likely at Columbia, and near a lock at NYU).

Do you guys think there's any use throwing an app at Harvard? The graph for this cycle looks like I have a bit of a chance. 2 out of 4 with 3.6-3.69 and a 174 got in, but there are a fair amount the got WLd with better numbers.

Northwestern ED is really the only one that seems worth it to me. Also, I'm well aware of the LST page. It's great!
Last edited by Dog on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Definitely worth the app to H.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Definitely worth the app to H.
That's what I was thinking. Then the question becomes... Harvard at sticker vs Northwestern 150k? Obviously these are complete best case scenarios, but it's a relevant question to ask if I thought there was any merit in foregoing Northwestern ED hoping my moonshot gets me into Harvard.

edit: I'm pretty convinced I would still take the 150K.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:52 pm

I thought I'd resurrect my own thread just in case someone in the future is searching threads similar to their own options to gain some insight. I ended up applying to NU ED and getting the scholarship.

Due to the scholarship, savings, and the possibility of a 2L SA position I might be able to graduate with ZERO debt. I will have a small, manageable amount regardless.

The lowered admissions standards made getting into Harvard seem like a possibility. This was the biggest contender against the ED for me, even though my chances at getting in were very difficult to assess and a rejection was likely. Upon doing my loan estimates (similar to what I used for NU zero debt), my Harvard repayment would come out to a little over $2,500 a month for ten years. If I assume a small amount of debt at NU and make the same savings/expenditures changes to H, Harvard debt repayment jumps to $3,000+ per month. A decent grant was probably unlikely on top of my already unlikely admissions chances, so the decision to ED was made.

I would encourage everyone faced with difficult choices to do some serious plug and chug of your financial situation over at LST. Register an account and put all the numbers in. Also make an effort to understand taxes and COL. $160,000 is a whole lot less after tax/COL considerations. $3,000 per month is a significant burden.

Anyways, I'm excited for Northwestern and have no regrets! Message me as opposed to necro'ing this thread if you find it months/years from now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:56 pm

NU ED >>>>>>>> H sticker

norkanite

New

Post by norkanite » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:47 am

Last edited by norkanite on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bsdfree

New

Post by bsdfree » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Congrats! NU is a great school, and it cannot be overstated how big it is to save 3k per month for 10 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”