Stanford or Harvard for PI (International Human Rights) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Harvard
40%
Stanford
60%

Total votes: 25

whippersnappery

Bronze

Stanford or Harvard for PI (International Human Rights)

Post by whippersnappery » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:20 pm

I know, there are a million S or H threads, but I looked through and most of them (unsurprisingly) are focused on biglaw, and I didn't see any that really apply to my situation.

Schools I am considering: Harvard and Stanford.

COA: comparable for me. I will be funding them both primarily through loans. Considerations of LRAP vs. LIPP are really important for me.

I'm from the Midwest, but have lived and worked in New England for several years. I don't have a specific region in mind for after law school, but I would like to be in a urban area on either coast, and not in the South. No real ties.

I want to go into international human rights work. My dream scenario would be working for an NGO like Human Rights Watch. I'm also interested in potentially working for the State Department or for an intergovernmental body. I realize this is a unicorn career path, and I'm trying to be realistic about my probability of success for each of the two schools. I'm potentially interested in clerking, and also in maybe working overseas for a year after graduation.

172 (1 take)/3.83

Any input is very much appreciated!
Last edited by whippersnappery on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Re: Stanford or Harvard for PI (International Human Rights)

Post by ph14 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:26 pm

whippersnappery wrote:I know, there are a million S or H threads, but I looked through and most of them (unsurprisingly) are focused on biglaw, and I didn't see any that really apply to my situation.

Schools I am considering: Harvard and Stanford.

COA: comparable for me. I will be funding them both primarily through loans. Considerations of LRAP vs. LIPP are really important for me.

I'm from the Midwest, but have lived and worked in New England for several years. I don't have a specific region in mind for after law school, but I would like to be in a urban area on either coast, and not in the South. No real ties.

I want to go into international human rights work. My dream scenario would be working for an NGO like Human Rights Watch. I'm also interested in potentially working for the State Department or for an intergovernmental body. I realize this is a unicorn career path, and I'm trying to be realistic about my probability of success for each of the two schools. I'm potentially interested in clerking, and also in maybe working overseas for a year after graduation.

172 (1 take)/3.83

Any input is very much appreciated!
I'll avoid trying to dissuade you, as it sounds like you are fully aware of the situation. HLS has a strong international law program, and it has been a focus for HLS to improve on in the past few years, for example, requiring an international law class during 1L spring semester and tenuring international law professor Gabriella Blum. Check out this web page: http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/de ... index.html

A snippet:
More than 100 HLS students worked overseas for multilateral organizations, NGOs, and in other public interest positions this past summer, principally through the Chayes Fellowship Program and the Human Rights Program. Additionally, dozens of students spent the summer working overseas with private employers. HLS offers funding for students to conduct clinical work or independent research over the Winter Term and, in 2012, 100 students took advantage of the opportunity. The Law School is home to the broadest array of internationally oriented research programs of any North American law school.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:02 pm

HRW and state do extremely different kinds of work. Are you looking to do more research and advocacy, litigation, or what?

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:04 pm

worldtraveler wrote:HRW and state do extremely different kinds of work. Are you looking to do more research and advocacy, litigation, or what?
I know. I'm trying to keep my option open at this point, since it's such a hard field to crack. At this point, I'm really interested in policy and advocacy, but I'm also potentially interested in ATS litigation and related work.

gma221

Bronze

Post by gma221 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:52 pm

If you haven't already, visit both schools. If one resonates with you more than the other, choose that one. If you think you'd be equally happy in either environment, Stanford's small size probably gives it an edge (I came away from ASW seeing it as a huge advantage). Whatever your choice, you will almost certainly find success, so don't sweat it too much.

ETA: in case you haven't seen it already, you might find this LRAP comparison helpful. I'm sure it was no accident, but the LRAP presentation at Stanford's ASW made it seem significantly more generous than Harvard's and Yale's programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm

gma221 wrote:If you haven't already, visit both schools. If one resonates with you more than the other, choose that one. If you think you'd be equally happy in either environment, Stanford's small size probably gives it an edge (I came away from ASW seeing it as a huge advantage). Whatever your choice, you will almost certainly find success, so don't sweat it too much.

ETA: in case you haven't seen it already, you might find this LRAP comparison helpful. I'm sure it was no accident, but the LRAP presentation at Stanford's ASW made it seem significantly more generous than Harvard's and Yale's programs.
I went to both ASWs and liked them both equally (though for very different reasons). Thanks for that link, that's a useful comparison! Stanford's small size is appealing, though for my interest area, I'm worried that there just aren't comparable opportunities.

chuckbasstard

New

Post by chuckbasstard » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:55 pm

Anecdotal info, but my good buddy who's a 3L at SLS is focused pretty much exclusively on human rights law and he raves about the international human rights program, particularly the clinic. He's interned at HRW twice, and scored an insanely competitive postgrad human rights fellowship. You really can't go wrong with either choice, but I get the impression that Stanford's program has an extra edge given the fact that it's a strong program devoted to a small number of students out of an already small class. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”