Thanks for the advice Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
8to1odds

New

Thanks for the advice

Post by 8to1odds » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Choosing between:

Minnesota
$122,340 total COA without interest ($84,000 scholarship)

WUSTL
$134,256 total COA without interest ($75,000 scholarship)

USC
$173,442 total COA without interest ($45,000 scholarship)

Waitlisted at Northwestern

I am from Chicago and currently live in LA with my significant other. My lawyer network is a little stronger in Chicago. I want to work in either Chicago or LA. I will be paying for my education and living expenses with loans. I am shooting for a judicial clerkship upon graduation followed by DAs office or other government office. I don't see any scenario where I end up going BigLaw.

I can probably get USC to increase their offer to something closer to the other two. WASH U jumped two places ahead of USC, and Minnesota is tied at #20 in the USNWR. Feel free to anticipate that in your advice. Thanks.

3.2/168 (took the LSAT once)

transferror

Silver

Re: Thanks for the advice

Post by transferror » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:19 pm

If you want to do DA work, I'd recommend going to a lower ranked regional school on a full ride over any of these options with those COA's.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Re: Thanks for the advice

Post by thebobs1987 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:44 pm

transferror wrote:If you want to do DA work, I'd recommend going to a lower ranked regional school on a full ride over any of these options with those COA's.
+1. If you want DA work in Chicago, you should go to UIUC for free or close to it. For LA, I think USC would probably be good, but not at that price. Minnesota won't get you to LA or Chicago. WUSTL might get you to Chicago, but other schools would be better for placement in Illinois and much cheaper. Retake and/or reapply more strategically. Don't look at USNWR

Return to “Choosing a Law School”