Duke International LLM $$ v UMich $$ both summer start Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke v. Michigan

Poll ended at Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Summer Start Duke (Int'L LLM)
56%
Summer Start Michigan
44%

Total votes: 9

sephirosu

New

Duke International LLM $$ v UMich $$ both summer start

Post by sephirosu » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:41 pm

This is my first post, please correct me if I am doing something wrong.
-I am stuck between Duke and the University of Michigan. I like both schools. I like both areas.
-I don't care about weather.
-I'm getting 75k$ from Michigan, and 72k$ from Duke with an 8k$ Summer Grant for the International LLM.
-CoA for both is right around 100k$, I think Duke was about 98k$ and UMich was 105k$.
-I've lived in Japan for 8 years and am fluent in Japanese. (side question: would an International LLM even help?)
-I would like to practice Transactional Law in New York or Tokyo. I would like to experience New York before moving there though.
-Got in with a 170/3.68 (Undergrad was USF but that was a long time ago)
-I only took the LSAT once.

Trout et al

Bronze

Re: Duke International LLM $$ v UMich $$ both summer start

Post by Trout et al » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:57 pm

This is a toss-up b/c they are peers. If you do UM you finish a semester earlier right? Might be cool to have a few extra months off. Otherwise, I would say just take the slightly cheaper option in Duke - probably slightly better placement as of late too.

OfThriceandTen

Bronze

Post by OfThriceandTen » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Last edited by OfThriceandTen on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sephirosu

New

Post by sephirosu » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Yes, finish a semester earlier, also I believe with Duke I'll have a heavier course load than Michigan, in order to get that LLM on time. Pretty sure I do OCIs with the other 2Ls if Duke.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OfThriceandTen

Bronze

Post by OfThriceandTen » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:50 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:OP, you did perfect for your first post, even including your stats. Well done.

Anyway, as others before me said, it's not an easy decision. In the legal profession, they are indeed peer schools. I think Ofthriceandten is a bit of an idiot. From my own time abroad (lived in Asia for more than a year.), I can tell you Duke certainly carries more weight than Michigan. They consider Michigan a good state school, but Duke carries possibly the most weight outside of the four I'll mention in 2 sentences. I don't know why he would even hazard a guess with no basis to start with. Anyway, as you probably know, neither of these is going to be the selling point HYS and Columbia are in Asia, but Duke does unquestionably look better. Also, remember that Michigan does better than Duke in PI (7%) while Duke beats out Michigan in biglaw (8%) and in percentage of their class that winds up in New York. For most students, the difference is not that great and I'd say go to whoever gives you more money or whichever felt better to them. That said, for you, I think the LLM, the greater name recognition overseas, and the $7,000 difference makes this a fairly straightforward decision. Congrats on Durham! Watch some basketball for me since my school is going to suck at athletics. lol
You seem pleasant. I can say with some certainty that Michigan is considered at least a peer if not a slightly better school than Duke globally - see e.g. --LinkRemoved-- http://www.topuniversities.com/universi ... al-studies - although I did admit no special knowledge as to the Asian market specifically. However, I just did a brief search of some of the Am 50 for Asian firms. Seems like Duke and Mich are represented almost equally, leading to even further confirmation that there's not a reputational perk for either school.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:30 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:56 am

No one will care about the LLM. If it's causing you an extra headache to do it, then don't bother. If you're just personally interested in it and it's no extra money, then no harm in doing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”