Class of 2017* or Wait a Year? 7 Acceptances Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Fiero85

Gold

Re: Class of 2014 or Wait a Year? 7 Acceptances

Post by Fiero85 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Fiero85 wrote:"Class of 2014" is a no go for all applicants, right guys? :)
BigZuck wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:
sublime wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Without thinking about it too hard, I would say that at least 90% of all people who go to law school probably shouldn't go to law school.

I think it was a joke about c/o 14 v. c/o 17.
This. A failed joke apparently lol
My B bro
It's all good! I don't disagree with your point above, for the record.

hcrimson2014

Bronze

Re: Class of 2014 or Wait a Year? 7 Acceptances

Post by hcrimson2014 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 pm

CEF wrote:
nebula666 wrote:Explain what international law is and what sort of jobs you want.
I'm interested in International Business transactions or a further stretch, something with International Human Rights and the UN/International Courts.
Enlist with the GOP or the Democratic party, run for the next city council election then work your way up to senator and you will still have a much better chance of actually working in those areas even taking into account how competitive politics is these day.

helmsleyB

New

Re: Class of 2017* or Wait a Year? 7 Acceptances

Post by helmsleyB » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:41 pm

CEF wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
CEF wrote:
nebula666 wrote:Explain what international law is and what sort of jobs you want.
I'm interested in International Business transactions or a further stretch, something with International Human Rights and the UN/International Courts.
Those 2 things couldn't be more different

I agree! And I will say that I am not entirely educated on all of the opportunities in International Law, but I double-majored in Economics and Political Science so you can see my natural interest towards both of those areas.

My pull is greater towards international business and trade, as far as counseling corporations in transactions.
Totally ok not to have a complete grasp of the professional landscape.
But, given your comments, please consider this fine platitude: Don't go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer.
Law might be a stepping-stone to where you wanna be. But based on your stated interests, it's prolly not the only (or necessarily the best) way to get there.

First, I think most firms don't organize their practice areas around int'l vs domestic. Unless you're in a foreign office, most likely you'll be in some transactional sub-area and you can fight from there to get on the sub-set of matters w/ int'l clients if that's what you want. (I can't speak to Int'l PI in depth, but such opportunities are a small piece of the legal landscape and I imagine get gobbled up quickly.)

If you like int'l politics/econ/business issues, there's other ways you can go.
If you want a business-side job and you've got some risk appetite and entrepreneurial spirit, consider an MBA.
If you want to be in foreign service or politics, consider a school of gov't or foreign policy (e.g., Harvard Kennedy School, Fletcher School at Tufts).
Or start working on political campaigns, or apply for positions w/ a federal agencies, NGOs, etc.

And if you still wanna go to law school with this goal in mind, retake the LSAT, rock it and go to NYU or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”