aaaaaaaaa Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
McAvoy

Gold

Re: UCLA(40k/yr) v. UTexas(31K/yr) v. Vandy(31k/yr)

Post by McAvoy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 am

About UCLA in-state tuition -- I wasn't saying I knew for certain you wouldn't be able to get it for 2L and 3L. The typical U.S. citizen can, but when your international status, that might not be the case. You'll want to check with admissions!
zhifeixie wrote: I think my English reading and listening is all right, but my oral and writing skills really suck! I geuss I should start preparing now, any good advice on where can I start like what book/website to read?
I don't know of any formal programs, but I would start consuming almost exclusively English-speaking media and try to immerse yourself in the culture prior to arrival. Read stuff like The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Newsweek, the New York Review of Books, watch good American TV, and listen to NPR. Consuming a ton of non-low-brow media will seriously help your writing and speaking skills, even if you're not the one doing the writing or speaking.

I would consider starting a blog (anonymously). If you have any english student newspapers that you could freelance for, that's an idea. Just writing to write is good. This site could be useful for fine-tuning your basic grammar: http://lessons.englishgrammar101.com/En ... eword.aspx

zhifeixie

New

Post by zhifeixie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:26 am

Will_McAvoy wrote:About UCLA in-state tuition -- I wasn't saying I knew for certain you wouldn't be able to get it for 2L and 3L. The typical U.S. citizen can, but when your international status, that might not be the case. You'll want to check with admissions!
zhifeixie wrote: I think my English reading and listening is all right, but my oral and writing skills really suck! I geuss I should start preparing now, any good advice on where can I start like what book/website to read?
I don't know of any formal programs, but I would start consuming almost exclusively English-speaking media and try to immerse yourself in the culture prior to arrival. Read stuff like The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Newsweek, the New York Review of Books, watch good American TV, and listen to NPR. Consuming a ton of non-low-brow media will seriously help your writing and speaking skills, even if you're not the one doing the writing or speaking.

I would consider starting a blog (anonymously). If you have any english student newspapers that you could freelance for, that's an idea. Just writing to write is good. This site could be useful for fine-tuning your basic grammar: http://lessons.englishgrammar101.com/En ... eword.aspx
thanks! buddy

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:46 pm

For reference's sake, here's the number of people that got biglaw or a federal clerkship coming out of CO2013.
Vanderbilt: 35.9 + 9.2 = 45.1%
Texas: 33.3 + 9.0 = 42.3%
UCLA: 32.5 + 6.9 = 39.5%
As you can see, they're all pretty close to eachother. The slight employment edge to Vanderbilt might be mitigated by the fact that UCLA will likely be cheaper, seeing as you're getting an extra 9k/yr.

zhifeixie

New

Post by zhifeixie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:19 am

twenty wrote:For reference's sake, here's the number of people that got biglaw or a federal clerkship coming out of CO2013.
Vanderbilt: 35.9 + 9.2 = 45.1%
Texas: 33.3 + 9.0 = 42.3%
UCLA: 32.5 + 6.9 = 39.5%
As you can see, they're all pretty close to eachother. The slight employment edge to Vanderbilt might be mitigated by the fact that UCLA will likely be cheaper, seeing as you're getting an extra 9k/yr.
thanks buddy! But I think I want to wait to see my gulc $ and whether other t14s will take me in.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:28 am

On the cultural aspects about Texas.. I have tons of family that live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. You'd be just fine if you decided to go to UT. Just because they have an above ground pool and serious opinions about ATVs, doesn't mean they're going to be hostile to foreigners. From my experience, if people are harboring some kind of anti-foreigner or anti-northerner sentiments or whatever it is, they're quiet about it.

But really, Houston, Dallas, and Austin are gigantic, and they're going to function like any major city. If you were trying to break into the Cattle business, okay, maybe that's different, but you shouldn't worry about facing a disadvantage for being a minority in Texas as a lawyer.

LA would have a much stronger Chinese community for sure, but if you decide Texas is where you want to be, don't worry about being received badly for being a foreigner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:34 am

KatyMarie wrote:On the cultural aspects about Texas.. I have tons of family that live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. You'd be just fine if you decided to go to UT. Just because they have an above ground pool and serious opinions about ATVs, doesn't mean they're going to be hostile to foreigners. From my experience, if people are harboring some kind of anti-foreigner or anti-northerner sentiments or whatever it is, they're quiet about it.

But really, Houston, Dallas, and Austin are gigantic, and they're going to function like any major city. If you were trying to break into the Cattle business, okay, maybe that's different, but you shouldn't worry about facing a disadvantage for being a minority in Texas as a lawyer.

LA would have a much stronger Chinese community for sure, but if you decide Texas is where you want to be, don't worry about being received badly for being a foreigner.
+1

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 am

No brainer. UCLA, hands down. It's incredibly diverse culturally and there's a lot of international law possibilities in Cali. I can't say the same for any of the other options you posted. I happen to live a few blocks from UCLA and the Chinese community here in LA is dense, including a strong amount in and around campus. The extra $ you might lose is worth the risk to land a strong position with a company here in LA or SF that might need your unique background for international endeavors.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:46 am

srslyp wrote:I feel it would be far more likely you could find a good job (not necessarily biglaw, but something that could get you a work visa of some kind) in LA than in Texas. Things have changed in the South, but not as much as you might think. Granted, Texas is more multicultural than, say, Mississippi, but a lot of the old boys at big Texas firms still are going to be white males from a very privileged Southern background. There is nothing wrong with that, but many of them are not comfortable with people from other cultures. These are simply the facts, from someone who grew up in the South.

Even if you don't mind being a minority, there are disadvantages that come with being seen as a "foreigner." People, on average, care far less about that in LA than in Texas.

If someone is from Texas, and feels that it is actually pretty inclusive (places like Houston, Dallas, etc. where the OP might work) feel free to tell me I'm wrong. I grew up in TN, not Texas. But yea, there are cowboys. That's pretty South.
While I agree that LA would probably be more comfortable for OP, I resent that description of Texas.

Look, as a minority who grew up in Texas and later spent the last 5 or so years in the "REAL" South, I can promise you, they are nothing alike. Sure, East Texas can pass for Louisiana any day of the week, but who cares about East Texas. When I see people flying Confederate flags in their yards in Houston, I'll change my mind.

That being said, OP can't really beat UCLA for the Chinese presence in LA plus it'd be a lot easier & cheaper to visit your family on the other side.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:58 pm

El Principe wrote: While I agree that LA would probably be more comfortable for OP, I resent that description of Texas.

Look, as a minority who grew up in Texas and later spent the last 5 or so years in the "REAL" South, I can promise you, they are nothing alike. Sure, East Texas can pass for Louisiana any day of the week, but who cares about East Texas. When I see people flying Confederate flags in their yards in Houston, I'll change my mind.

That being said, OP can't really beat UCLA for the Chinese presence in LA plus it'd be a lot easier & cheaper to visit your family on the other side.
That's fair, I went to a busing schools in "the real south," and the racial problems there are no joke. It's gotten better, but there's a lot of work left to do. But you can bring your gun almost anywhere and you can keep any deer you hit with your car so there's that. (This is what our legislators are busy with anyway)

And screw East Texas. Especially Longview. East Texas sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Post by Kool-Aid » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
El Principe wrote: While I agree that LA would probably be more comfortable for OP, I resent that description of Texas.

That's fair, I went to a busing schools in "the real south," and the racial problems there are no joke. It's gotten better, but there's a lot of work left to do. But you can bring your gun almost anywhere and you can keep any deer you hit with your car so there's that. (This is what our legislators are busy with anyway)

As someone from DEEP east Texas I disagree. With that said, I wouldn't expect an issue at UT.

Good luck

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:15 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:

As someone from DEEP east Texas I disagree. With that said, I wouldn't expect an issue at UT.

Good luck
About what I said or her?

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Post by Kool-Aid » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 pm

El Principe wrote:
Kool-Aid wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:

Good luck
About what I said or her?
About the "East Texas sucks"...but I understand the sentiment. It's home for me though!

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:
El Principe wrote:
Kool-Aid wrote:
KatyMarie wrote: While I agree that LA would probably be more comfortable for OP, I resent that description of Texas.

Good luck
About the "East Texas sucks"...but I understand the sentiment. It's home for me though!
I got 2 words for ya... Jasper, Texas....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zhifeixie

New

Post by zhifeixie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:07 pm

thanks for all your advice guys and sorry for not able to quote all your posts! really appreciate it! but I think I will wait to see my chance at t14 and more importantly I am considering to gap a year so that I can better prepare myself.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Living in LA I say take UCLA. You'll love So Cal and will have a lot of great opportunities. You'll find you're not alone in the huge transition, and the diversity, culture, here will definitely aid in this transition.

I'm biased and haven't been to the UT campus (been to TX plenty of times) though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”