full tuition scholarship at penn.....state Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Newb2law

New

full tuition scholarship at penn.....state

Post by Newb2law » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Full tuition scholarship with NO stips. How much would it hurt me that I plan on practicing in California?

mu13ski

Bronze

Re: full tuition scholarship at penn.....state

Post by mu13ski » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:56 pm

Newb2law wrote:Full tuition scholarship with NO stips. How much would it hurt me that I plan on practicing in California?
Either you have a twin or this is the second time you've asked this. Either way the answer hasn't changed. Outside the T14 and maybe WashU, Notre Dame and a few others you cannot count on a school having reach outside it's region. Penn State is certainly no exception.

Penn State seems to be doing good things, but by the time you graduate it sure as heck won't have any legitimate CA placement power. If you're not comfortable practicing in PA don't go. If you are, give it a shot if you'd like but the odds of getting back to CA will very much be against you.

oblitigate

New

Post by oblitigate » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:22 am

Nucky wrote:
Newb2law wrote:Full tuition scholarship with NO stips. How much would it hurt me that I plan on practicing in California?
Either you have a twin or this is the second time you've asked this. Either way the answer hasn't changed. Outside the T14 and maybe WashU, Notre Dame and a few others you cannot count on a school having reach outside it's region. Penn State is certainly no exception.

Penn State seems to be doing good things, but by the time you graduate it sure as heck won't have any legitimate CA placement power. If you're not comfortable practicing in PA don't go. If you are, give it a shot if you'd like but the odds of getting back to CA will very much be against you.

How do you know this

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:24 am

oblitigate wrote:
Nucky wrote:

How do you know this
I don't know which part you're referring to, but if it's Penn States placement power just look at their numbers. Speaks for itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:15 am

I think this is a really, really bad plan.

You're only going to qualify for small firm/PD/DA type work, all those types of jobs require a pretty solid hustle game, and you're going to be across the country unable to get your hustle on. You will almost certainly graduate unemployed and will struggle to find work, unless you already have a job lined up.

Why would you pick this random school in a random state when you want to work in CA? At least if you went to one of the many CA TTTs (for free) you could network locally and get your hustle on and give yourself a fighting chance. Going to Penn State you would just be shooting yourself in the foot right before the race even starts.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:19 am

BigZuck wrote:I think this is a really, really bad plan.

You're only going to qualify for small firm/PD/DA type work, all those types of jobs require a pretty solid hustle game, and you're going to be across the country unable to get your hustle on. You will almost certainly graduate unemployed and will struggle to find work, unless you already have a job lined up.

Why would you pick this random school in a random state when you want to work in CA? At least if you went to one of the many CA TTTs (for free) you could network locally and get your hustle on and give yourself a fighting chance. Going to Penn State you would just be shooting yourself in the foot right before the race even starts.
The above is true. If Penn State regularly placed grads in CA, there would be data to show for it. How did you fare at the dozen or so law schools in CA?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:43 am

I think the importance of location is overstated if you already have ties to California. Certainly a California school would be preferable, but if there's a significant price difference between PSU and the California schools, I'd take PSU.

Just my two cents from personal experience and seeing how things worked out for classmates at my ttt. Most of those who left to go "back home" found legal work.

mach9zero

Bronze

Post by mach9zero » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:34 am

We Are... PENN STATE!

I'm also a full-ride applicant to Penn State, as it seems so are many others. The facilities are wonderful, the campus is a college mecca of fun, the downtown is cool enough. The school also has a wonderful reputation... in the region it's in... which is Pennsylvania.

It's only been recently that PSU Law has been back on the upswing and making headway. They've obviously been spending a ton of money on students and trying to become more prestigious, but it's still a regional school - and one that competes in the region with Temple, Villanova, Pittsburgh, and Rutgers all while being 160 miles away from where you would want to practice. You want to be in central Pennsylvania or working in Harrisburg, great (Harrisburg is an absolute shit-hole, but that's for another time) or you want to bust your ass and network into Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, fine. But it's still a regional school and not helping you land big law in already saturated California.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:38 am

Penn State enjoys a great national reputation for horseplay in the showers between old men and little boys.

However, I don't think the law school's reputation is as widespread

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:58 am

ronanOgara wrote:Penn State enjoys a great national reputation for horseplay in the showers between old men and little boys.

However, I don't think the law school's reputation is as widespread
:lol: ... Ouch. (No pun intended)

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm

I think you should go.... Retake the LSAT and apply to CA schools (or T-14 schools).

whm0829

New

Post by whm0829 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:53 pm

If you know people in California that will hire you regardless of school location , then go to PSU

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:00 pm

whm0829 wrote:If you know people in California that will hire you regardless of school location , then go to PSU
If OP already has solid job prospects in CA and has the numbers for a full ride to penn state, why would he go all the way to bumblefuck Pennsylvania for three years instead of just going to a California TTT for free?

OP, location cannot be overstated. People on this board obsess over numbers and grades and statistics, and forget that law school is 3 years long and that you spend those years fostering relationships with local prospective employers via internships, clinics, volunteer opportunities, etc. if you want to work in California, you should go to school in California. The T-14 is the only real exception to this rule.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”