HLS vs. YLS (some unique considerations) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

HLS or YLS?

Harvard
20%
Yale
80%

Total votes: 56

Vursz

Bronze

HLS vs. YLS (some unique considerations)

Post by Vursz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Thanks TLS!
Last edited by Vursz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

manillabay

Bronze

Re: HLS vs. YLS (some unique considerations)

Post by manillabay » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:12 pm

[quote="Vursz"

Stats: 180/3.89, took LSAT once.[/quote]

Badass

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 pm

manillabay wrote:[quote="Vursz"

Stats: 180/3.89, took LSAT once.
Badass[/quote]

Fluke, Retake. :D

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:16 pm

Vursz wrote: If this is a stupidly obvious decision, feel free to tell me so.
This is a stupidly obvious decision. Your "libertarian streak" is not a compelling reason to attend HLS over YLS. Enjoy Yale.
Last edited by Straw_Mandible on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Yale.

Go to Yale.

You know who goes to Yale? No one. Because it's impossible to get into.

Go to Yale.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Your goals are pretty lofty, but you have the acceptances to go along with them. Yale for sure, and not just "because it's Yale." From Yale, even with no ties to the Bay Area, I doubt you'll have any difficulty getting into a top firm/top PI/govt organization up there.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:25 pm

I've never been presented with a good reason, apart from "I'm married to someone who works in Boston," to go to HLS over YLS. Fed Soc is exploding here, if it's that important to you you'll be fine.

And no way do the ideological compatibilities of HLS professors beat the insane statistical and institutional superiority of YLS when it comes to clerking.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Yale. Especially for your goals. Don't worry about variety of profs/classes, YLS has more than enough variation, and every one of your profs will be the eminent scholar in that subject.

Take this for what it's worth: I would take Yale over any school, with only a small number of very specific exceptions.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Do you want letter grades , a big class and the stress of having an easy to decipher transcript? If so, go to HLS. Do you want a smaller class size, but the enjoyment of having your grades be HP, P, LP? ( which is harder to differentiate), If so, then go to YLS.

But really, both schools are fantastic- so congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:38 pm

northwood wrote:Do you want letter grades , a big class and the stress of having an easy to decipher transcript? If so, go to HLS. Do you want a smaller class size, but the enjoyment of having your grades be HP, P, LP? ( which is harder to differentiate), If so, then go to YLS.

HLS doesn't do letter grades. OP, Yale is the easy choice.

3L2014

New

Post by 3L2014 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Who voted Harvard?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:41 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:
northwood wrote:Do you want letter grades , a big class and the stress of having an easy to decipher transcript? If so, go to HLS. Do you want a smaller class size, but the enjoyment of having your grades be HP, P, LP? ( which is harder to differentiate), If so, then go to YLS.

HLS doesn't do letter grades. OP, Yale is the easy choice.
DS is hella confusing tho :P

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Don't worry, libertarian douchebags are a pesky and disproportionately loud minority at every law school. All of that Fed Soc cash.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LochnerMonster

New

Post by LochnerMonster » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Cicero76 wrote:I've never been presented with a good reason, apart from "I'm married to someone who works in Boston," to go to HLS over YLS. Fed Soc is exploding here, if it's that important to you you'll be fine.

And no way do the ideological compatibilities of HLS professors beat the insane statistical and institutional superiority of YLS when it comes to clerking.
+1.

It is a very exciting time to be a conservative or a libertarian at YLS. There's been a huge renaissance of the Federalist Society chapter here. For whatever it's worth, our chapter won the Federalist Society award for best chapter this year.

I strongly encourage you, or any other libertarian/conservative admits reading this thread, to PM me.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:02 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Yale. Especially for your goals. Don't worry about variety of profs/classes, YLS has more than enough variation, and every one of your profs will be the eminent scholar in that subject.

Take this for what it's worth: I would take Yale over any school, with only a small number of very specific exceptions.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:03 pm

LochnerMonster wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:I've never been presented with a good reason, apart from "I'm married to someone who works in Boston," to go to HLS over YLS. Fed Soc is exploding here, if it's that important to you you'll be fine.

+1.

It is a very exciting time to be a conservative or a libertarian at YLS. There's been a huge renaissance of the Federalist Society chapter here. For whatever it's worth, our chapter won the Federalist Society award for best chapter this year.

I strongly encourage you, or any other libertarian/conservative admits reading this thread, to PM me.
LM here is literally A FAN OF LOCHNER. That's so libertarian I think our prof's had exploded. OP will be fine here.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:04 pm

isn't yale basically the quintessential ivory tower? why wouldn't that be a perfect place for a libertarian?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

baloneydanza

Bronze

Post by baloneydanza » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Nelson wrote:Don't worry, libertarian douchebags are a pesky and disproportionately loud minority at every law school. All of that Fed Soc cash.
lol

But yeah, Yale

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:33 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
LochnerMonster wrote:

+1.

LM here is literally A FAN OF LOCHNER. That's so libertarian I think our prof's had exploded. OP will be fine here.
What's the gunner sit. like? Are Fed Soc people more likely to be gunners?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:42 pm

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:46 pm

OP did u go to hillsdale college ?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Vursz

Bronze

Post by Vursz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:48 pm

BillPackets wrote:OP did u go to hillsdale college ?
No, but you're close.

(In case anyone here was at the HLS ASW, it was a Hillsdale guy that was responsible for that "what is justice" question. I swear to God I'm not that oblivious. haha)

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:49 pm

LochnerMonster wrote: It is a very exciting time to be a conservative or a libertarian at YLS. There's been a huge renaissance of the Federalist Society chapter here. For whatever it's worth, our chapter won the Federalist Society award for best chapter this year.
In a shocking development, members of the Federalist Society are just as much of a bunch of arbitrary prestige obsessed wankers as any other group of law students. I am disappointed. This selection clearly lacked rigor.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:51 pm

tbf chicago would have won but their president didn't use his all-caps legal name in the nomination application, preventing joinder

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:52 pm

PM me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”