Michigan vs. Davis vs. Arizona Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Michigan
31%
UC Davis
26%
University of Arizona
43%

Total votes: 35

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Michigan vs. Davis vs. Arizona

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:11 pm

I got all the info I need for making a choice. I'm in the midst of visiting schools. That will play heavily into my decision-making process.

Schools: University of Michigan, UC Davis, University of Arizona
COA (includes Tuition and COL): Michigan 170K, UC Davis 54K, Arizona 0K
How I'm financing this debt: LOANS
Goals: Public Interest. I would love to work with refugee and asylum law (previous experience in that), Immigration, or any other group (I'm flexible). Legal Aid sounds pretty good.
Regions: I prefer California, but I am willing to live in other regions. CA PI>PI anywhere> other law job in CA

Stats: 3.5/165- I DON'T PLAN ON RETAKING. YOU CAN SAY RETAKE ALL YOU WANT, BUT I WILL IGNORE YOU.

Other info: I'm currently on the waitlist at Berkeley.
Last edited by yeslekkkk on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Re: Michigan vs. Davis vs. Arizona

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Davis.

bobloblaw0227

New

Post by bobloblaw0227 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:23 pm

So Arizona gave you full ride plus a stipend and Davis gave you full tuition?

bobloblaw0227

New

Post by bobloblaw0227 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:26 pm

bobloblaw0227 wrote:So Arizona gave you full ride plus a stipend and Davis gave you full tuition?
Btw, I'm in a similar boat with WUSTL (sticker), Davis/Hastings (discount), and Arizona/Arizona State (freeish)

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:26 pm

bobloblaw0227 wrote:So Arizona gave you full ride plus a stipend and Davis gave you full tuition?
No, I have another fund with a certain amount of money. This fund HAS to be used for education expenses. So, it's not like I could save it for something else anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bobloblaw0227

New

Post by bobloblaw0227 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:29 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
No, I have another fund with a certain amount of money. This fund HAS to be used for education expenses. So, it's not like I could save it for something else anyways.
I see. Are you going to AZ ASW this weekend?

lecsa

Bronze

Post by lecsa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:50 pm

Last edited by lecsa on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobloblaw0227

New

Post by bobloblaw0227 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:57 pm

lecsa wrote:
bobloblaw0227 wrote:
Btw, I'm in a similar boat with WUSTL (sticker), Davis/Hastings (discount), and Arizona/Arizona State (freeish)
Not a similar boat. No offense, but WUSTL is also a TTT, as are the other schools in your list, so for you it seems like an easy choice.

As for OP, I hesitate paying for any school if I wanted PI, but attending ASU or UA to me is like having a black stain on my resume. At that point I'd probably not go to law school.
I understand the distinction between Michigan and WUSTL, but to call WUSTL TTT is absurd. It's a very strong regional, as are Hastings and Davis (albeit less so), and ASU and Arizona are strong regionally as well. Arizona is particularly strong for asylum/immigration, just due to location. I would still say similar boat, granting of course the UM is better than WUSTL.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:01 pm

bobloblaw0227 wrote:
lecsa wrote:
bobloblaw0227 wrote:
Not a similar boat. No offense, but WUSTL is also a TTT, as are the other schools in your list, so for you it seems like an easy choice.

As for OP, I hesitate paying for any school if I wanted PI, but attending ASU or UA to me is like having a black stain on my resume. At that point I'd probably not go to law school.
I understand the distinction between Michigan and WUSTL, but to call WUSTL TTT is absurd. It's a very strong regional, as are Hastings and Davis (albeit less so), and ASU and Arizona are strong regionally as well. Arizona is particularly strong for asylum/immigration, just due to location. I would still say similar boat, granting of course the UM is better than WUSTL.
I would not call any of the schools mentioned TTTs. But hey, whatever. It doesn't matter what you think, Iesca. I'll take your comments and do what I wish with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Odd that Berkeley didn't reject you. Are you URM? Or maybe your softs are just that strong? Either way, I would retake in June to try and get in there and if the retake doesn't work out, go to Davis I guess.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:05 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
Hmm...I personally wouldn't go to Davis unless it was full tuition, but that's just me.

Did you apply for Davis' PI scholarship? It's $60k.

Edit. Also, have you tried negotiating to a full ride using Arizona's offer?
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 pm

ALSO NOT RETAKING WOULD BE MONUMENTALLY STUPID NO MATTER WHETHER YOU SAY YOU WON'T DO IT IN ALL CAPS OR NOT

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:08 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
Hmm...I personally wouldn't go to Davis unless it was full tuition, but that's just me.

I did apply for it. I'm waiting to hear back from it.

I'm going to try to negotiate with Arizona's offer.
Last edited by yeslekkkk on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:08 pm

BigZuck wrote:ALSO NOT RETAKING WOULD BE MONUMENTALLY STUPID NO MATTER WHETHER YOU SAY YOU WON'T DO IT IN ALL CAPS OR NOT
haha.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:

I suspect the other fund thing is a lie (I mean, it doesn't make any logical sense). The OP seems to have A CHIP ON HIS OR HER SHOULDER and looks to be trying to stave off as much good advice as possible so that bad choice can be affirmed by strangers.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 pm

BigZuck wrote:Odd that Berkeley didn't reject you. Are you URM? Or maybe your softs are just that strong? Either way, I would retake in June to try and get in there and if the retake doesn't work out, go to Davis I guess.
Not URM. My softs are very strong apparently.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:

I suspect the other fund thing is a lie (I mean, it doesn't make any logical sense). The OP seems to have A CHIP ON HIS OR HER SHOULDER and looks to be trying to stave off as much good advice as possible so that bad choice can be affirmed by strangers.
haha. I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I have an education fund that was set up by grandparents when I young. How does that not make any logical sense? I figured my choice wouldn't be affirmed by strangers. I'm no newbie to TLS. I've read enough threads to know that people usually say the same thing. I like hearing the criticism, because it gets me to truly question my choices.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm going to let someone who knows more about CA PI chime in. If the jobs you want are unicorns, I would do my damnedest to get into Berkeley. If they are attainable from Davis, I would just go there. It seems that your commitment to the cause shouldn't be called into question, at this point it's just about balancing debt with the PI placement powers (and whether you need to rely on that power) of the schools you're considering

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Update: I just visited arizona. I felt pretty locked into working in AZ. I also just didn't like the school. It was okay. I am ruling it out.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Why is it OK and apparently the TLS favorite to advise OP and others similarly situated to pass their student debt on to taxpayers, essentially allowing law schools to simultaneously set the absurd price for education and tout re-payment plans, WHEN HE HAS PERFECTLY GOOD ALTERNATIVES?

Seems like all a 0L has to do around here is say "kinda interested in biglaw," or in this case, not even, and half the heard jump on the T-14 side of the scale.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Potential for 0 debt from law school and wants to do immigration law. HOW IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

U of A would be the 2nd to best choice for immigration law anyway. They basically have a huge fair every year devoted to that and other PI shit. And also, way easier to get an immigration gig in AZ than CA. Hell easier to get a job in AZ period from U of A than it is to get a job in CA out of Davis. The volume of immigration cases in AZ is fucking insane and there are a lot less lawyers in state.

Brush up on your espanol tho.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:27 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Why is it OK and apparently the TLS favorite to advise OP and others similarly situated to pass their student debt on to taxpayers, essentially allowing law schools to simultaneously set the absurd price for education and tout re-payment plans, WHEN HE HAS PERFECTLY GOOD ALTERNATIVES?

Seems like all a 0L has to do around here is say "kinda interested in biglaw," or in this case, not even, and half the heard jump on the T-14 side of the scale.
you're nuts if you think OP has a moral obligation to choose schools in order to reduce the burden on taxpayers.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Veyron wrote:Potential for 0 debt from law school and wants to do immigration law. HOW IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

U of A would be the 2nd to best choice for immigration law anyway. They basically have a huge fair every year devoted to that and other PI shit. And also, way easier to get an immigration gig in AZ than CA. Hell easier to get a job in AZ period from U of A than it is to get a job in CA out of Davis. The volume of immigration cases in AZ is fucking insane and there are a lot less lawyers in state.

OP clearly has a preference for CA. If he/she had said "Location does not matter," then that's a different story.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:59 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Veyron wrote:Potential for 0 debt from law school and wants to do immigration law. HOW IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

OP clearly has a preference for CA. If he/she had said "Location does not matter," then that's a different story.
Believe she said that she prefers a PI job anywhere. Good luck getting any job out of Davis, especially one worth 50+gs of debt.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Veyron wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

Believe she said that she prefers a PI job anywhere. Good luck getting any job out of Davis, especially one worth 50+gs of debt.
Well homies, I appreciate your thoughts. I will take them all into consideration. Location does matter. I went to Tucson and decided I didn't want to live there for three years studying. I think that matters. Arizona would also lock me in location-wise more than I'd like. Their employment outcomes also don't suggest that their grads get public interest gigs. There is no certainty about Arizona. After visiting Arizona, I'm not considering it anymore. On paper, Arizona seemed to be a really good option.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”