UChicago & Litigation Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jonny09x1

New

UChicago & Litigation

Post by jonny09x1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Hello All,

I was recently admitted to UChicago, by far the best school I've been admitted to! Very excited about this..but I am a bit concerned about their perceived heavy focus on litigation. This is not something that I envision myself getting into, so I'm curious as to what you all know about the different specialties that are common of UC grads and what else they place a high degree of focus on?

Thanks in advance!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: UChicago & Litigation

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:32 pm

This isn't a perception shared outside wherever you heard it. Yes, Chicago as a legal market may have more balance between lit and corp than New York, but you won't have any trouble going into transactional practice from UChicago. In other words, this is a non issue. Congrats on your acceptance!

jonny09x1

New

Post by jonny09x1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:This isn't a perception shared outside wherever you heard it. Yes, Chicago as a legal market may have more balance between lit and corp than New York, but you won't have any trouble going into transactional practice from UChicago. In other words, this is a non issue. Congrats on your acceptance!
Thanks! As someone who is unsure of exactly what I want to do, flexibility is key. All I do know is that based on prior experience, I want to avoid a heavy focus on litigation and securities.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:47 pm

I have never heard that we are lit heavy. We place well into lit boutiques but that's a small subset of the class. Basically everyone goes to mega firms where you are free to opt into corporate work.

jonny09x1

New

Post by jonny09x1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 pm

2014 wrote:I have never heard that we are lit heavy. We place well into lit boutiques but that's a small subset of the class. Basically everyone goes to mega firms where you are free to opt into corporate work.
Okay - I think I got it from some 3rd party sources. Either way, is there a particular angle/focus that the law school has?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:56 pm

jonny09x1 wrote:
2014 wrote:I have never heard that we are lit heavy. We place well into lit boutiques but that's a small subset of the class. Basically everyone goes to mega firms where you are free to opt into corporate work.
Okay - I think I got it from some 3rd party sources. Either way, is there a particular angle/focus that the law school has?
Employment for its graduates

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Didn't another poster mention this "litigation focus" in a recent thread on Michigan v. Chicago? Chicago is a primary market with significant transactional work--why would one of the top schools in that market emphasize litigation?

jonny09x1

New

Post by jonny09x1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 pm

banjo wrote:Didn't another poster mention this "litigation focus" in a recent thread on Michigan v. Chicago? Chicago is a primary market with significant transactional work--why would one of the top schools in that market emphasize litigation?
I read that forum, must've missed that comment though. All I based that on was a former student from like ten years ago and there was some website which listed common specialties out of the t14 and litigation was one of a few listed for UC. Can't trust the internet I suppose.

I guess I do have a follow up question though. Obviously the school has close ties to studying law from an economics perspective, and I know their website touches on this a bit...but as someone who has no background in this and thus no real academic knowledge of economics, should I have any reservations about this?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:47 pm

jonny09x1 wrote:
Academically we do the law and econ thing, employment wise we are heavily heavily geared toward big firms. Not that the public interest people aren't here or unsupported, they are just dwarfed from a population standpoint.

Geographically a plurality focuses on Chicago, second is New York and a solid contingent goes to California, Texas and DC. Other markets are accessible but it depends on individual circumstances.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:49 pm

I guess Chicago might emphasize litigation in the way that every single law school emphasizes litigation since that's just kind of the way law is taught.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:56 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:I guess Chicago might emphasize litigation in the way that every single law school emphasizes litigation since that's just kind of the way law is taught.
Right. This is something you should absolutely not even waste another second thinking about.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:38 pm

jonny09x1 wrote:
banjo wrote:Didn't another poster mention this "litigation focus" in a recent thread on Michigan v. Chicago? Chicago is a primary market with significant transactional work--why would one of the top schools in that market emphasize litigation?
I read that forum, must've missed that comment though. All I based that on was a former student from like ten years ago and there was some website which listed common specialties out of the t14 and litigation was one of a few listed for UC. Can't trust the internet I suppose.

I guess I do have a follow up question though. Obviously the school has close ties to studying law from an economics perspective, and I know their website touches on this a bit...but as someone who has no background in this and thus no real academic knowledge of economics, should I have any reservations about this?
No, like 3/4 of the class knows nothing about econ and the econ that shows up is pretty remedial level shit. It's a slight advantage to know it more than it is a tangible disadvantage not to.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:39 pm

you're probably better off not learning any economics prior to enrolling at Chicago. wouldn't want to pick up any good habits.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jonny09x1

New

Post by jonny09x1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:48 pm

patogordo wrote:you're probably better off not learning any economics prior to enrolling at Chicago. wouldn't want to pick up any good habits.
I just mean I didn't study it at all in college. But thanks for the unnecessary dickish comment anyway, bud.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:53 pm

jonny09x1 wrote:
patogordo wrote:you're probably better off not learning any economics prior to enrolling at Chicago. wouldn't want to pick up any good habits.
I just mean I didn't study it at all in college. But thanks for the unnecessary dickish comment anyway, bud.
might wanna re-read that one

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:55 pm

jonny09x1 wrote:
Took it as a jab at UofC's law and economic schtick, not at you bud

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:08 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
jonny09x1 wrote:
Employment for its graduates

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”