2 year Brooklyn Law vs. St. Johns Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Brooklyn or SJU?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:36 am

Brooklyn
60%
St. Johns
40%

Total votes: 5

francey

New

Re: 2 year Brooklyn Law vs. St. Johns

Post by francey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:14 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Personally, I think you should retake the LSAT. You already jumped 9 points on a retake. Do it again and you'll have much, much better options. Your GPA will still hold you back, but at least you'll be looking at full rides without stips. What do you want to do with a law degree, btw?
probably solo, or small firm. there's still decent money in that, especially since i would'nt be burying myself in debt with my current options

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:17 pm

francey wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Personally, I think you should retake the LSAT. You already jumped 9 points on a retake. Do it again and you'll have much, much better options. Your GPA will still hold you back, but at least you'll be looking at full rides without stips. What do you want to do with a law degree, btw?
probably solo, or small firm. there's still decent money in that, especially since i would'nt be burying myself in debt with my current options
How do you define "decent money?"

francey

New

Post by francey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:
francey wrote:
100k-200k

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:32 pm

francey wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
francey wrote:
100k-200k
Ain't gonna happen

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:38 pm

francey wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
francey wrote:
100k-200k
That's not a solo or small firm salary. That's a BigLaw salary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

francey

New

Post by francey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:40 pm

I've been working with a solo PI attorney for the last 6 years and ive seen his tax returns..

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:42 pm

francey wrote:I've been working with a solo PI attorney for the last 6 years and ive seen his tax returns..
He's either super lucky OR he spent years building up to that. Guarantee he didn't start off making that, and he probably didn't go solo right out of law school, either.

francey

New

Post by francey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:45 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
francey wrote:I've been working with a solo PI attorney for the last 6 years and ive seen his tax returns..
He's either super lucky OR he spent years building up to that. Guarantee he didn't start off making that, and he probably didn't go solo right out of law school, either.
okay so he did spend years building his practice, but he did start solo right out of school. just saying, nothing is impossible. people on this site are smart, but also so dismal..

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:48 pm

francey wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
okay so he did spend years building his practice, but he did start solo right out of school. just saying, nothing is impossible. people on this site are smart, but also so dismal..
The world is a vampire kid.

But yeah, don't base your success on the success of lucky boomers. You might hit the lottery if you play that too, but using your life savings to buy lottery tickets wouldn't be a smart thing to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:49 pm

francey wrote: okay so he did spend years building his practice, but he did start solo right out of school. just saying, nothing is impossible. people on this site are smart, but also so dismal..
What year did he graduate?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:49 pm

francey wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
It's not dismal, it's just realistic. You can always find people who beat the odds. Just because someone else got lucky doesn't mean you can assume you'll be lucky too. My understanding is that most people who try to go solo right out of school fail. They have no experience and no client base. Yeah, there will be a few who survie and maybe even thrive, and if you look around 10 years later you'll think, "Wow, look at all these solos making bank!" The thing is, you're not seeing all their classmates who went belly up, so you don't realize that the successful ones are a small minority of the total who tried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”