Cardozo (Full) vs. Fordham (20k) vs. GWU (no $) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jb1411

New

Cardozo (Full) vs. Fordham (20k) vs. GWU (no $)

Post by jb1411 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:00 pm

I have a 3.3 GPA from an ivy and 167 LSAT.

"Preferred Wait List" at Georgetown and Wait List at UCLA but rejected from Chicago, Penn, Duke, Berkley and Northwestern, waiting to hear from Stanford, NYU, Michigan and Columbia but based on the above not hopeful.

I applied after working for two years and knowing I want to study IP/entertainment and work in film. I have enough saved from working and have been offered a more favorable loan from a family member for the difference so that cost is not as much of a concern as post-grad career options (although the prospect of keeping what I've saved by accepting a scholarship vs. paying it all and then some to GW is also a concern).

With decision deadlines a few weeks away and not having heard from a few schools, between Fordham (20k/year scholarship), Cardozo (full tuition dependent upon maintaining 2.95 GPA) and GW (no scholarship) if anyone has advice with the above info/career interest in mind I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

retaking23

Bronze

Re: Cardozo (Full) vs. Fordham (20k) vs. GWU (no $)

Post by retaking23 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:17 pm

None of these three are particularly good choices to have but if you must go to law school this year....

First where are you from? If you live in NYC or can otherwise not worry about COL in NYC, then Fordham easily between the three. Same for DC and GW. Basically don't go to Cardozo.

If COL will be a significant factor for Fordham or GW, then I suggest you stave off any urge to go to law school come fall and retake to try to get 172+ (the usual advice is 170+ but you will need a few more points to offset the 3.3 even if from an ivy).

Craft a strong PS, get strong recs from work and professors, get 172+ and I'm sure you'll be looking at some sweet sweet options.

francesfarmer

Silver

Re: Cardozo (Full) vs. Fordham (20k) vs. GWU (no $)

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:18 pm

Retake is the most sensible option. Your GPA will limit you but your LSAT is what's holding you back currently.

FWIW I have a similar GPA (from CU, as I'm sure yours is as well) and retook the LSAT so I know its not fun, but ultimately it was the right decision.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”