FINAL: NYU ($) v. Duke ($$) v. HLS - LS22 needs your help Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

NYU ($154k)
2%
Duke ($79k)
27%
HLS ($165k)
71%

Total votes: 45

lawschool22

Gold

Re: NYU ($) v. Duke ($$) v. NU ($$) - LS22 needs your help

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 am

Catherinelo365 wrote:Any news from Chicago or Columbia?
Nope, nothing yet. I sent in my Columbia LOCI recently, and I believe the hold letter said I would get a decision by April 25th. So hopefully within the next few weeks I will hear something.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:56 am

I attended the NU ASW over the weekend, and now have a lot to think about. I think I was more impressed with the city than the school itself, although there was quite a bit that did impress me. I'm probably leaning Duke at this point, but I'm still pretty unsure.

I have yet to hear back from Duke in scholarship negotiation, but that could be important. Also, I visit NYU this week as well. We'll see how that (and negotiation) affects things.

sobrickay

New

Post by sobrickay » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:47 pm

lawschool22 wrote:I attended the NU ASW over the weekend, and now have a lot to think about. I think I was more impressed with the city than the school itself, although there was quite a bit that did impress me. I'm probably leaning Duke at this point, but I'm still pretty unsure.
What impressed you about the school? Anything you can share for someone who couldn't make it to the ASW (unfortunately I couldn't go!)? Any thoughts on how it compared to Duke?

Also, is your deposit deadline at NU April 11? Were you able to get them to postpone it, or how are you navigating that?

PS Thanks for building that awesome cost comparison sheet, it has made my life a lot easier this spring!

Arboreal

New

Post by Arboreal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:25 pm

sobrickay wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I attended the NU ASW over the weekend, and now have a lot to think about. I think I was more impressed with the city than the school itself, although there was quite a bit that did impress me. I'm probably leaning Duke at this point, but I'm still pretty unsure.
What impressed you about the school? Anything you can share for someone who couldn't make it to the ASW (unfortunately I couldn't go!)? Any thoughts on how it compared to Duke?

Also, is your deposit deadline at NU April 11? Were you able to get them to postpone it, or how are you navigating that?

PS Thanks for building that awesome cost comparison sheet, it has made my life a lot easier this spring!
Bump. Also interested.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:34 pm

sobrickay wrote:

I was impressed with the maturity and polish (don't take that to mean "old") of the students. It also seemed like they were very in touch with what employers are looking for, and aren't afraid to change and adjust to meet those demands. I really enjoyed the mock class. The location is amazing, and the current students were quite open and welcoming. I like the quote "we take study of the law seriously, but not ourselves seriously." I definitely got that feeling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Re: NYU ($) v. Duke ($$) v. NU ($$)-LS22 needs your help-UPDATED

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:39 pm

See updated OP. I received a re-negotiated Duke scholarship recently. I also made some slight adjustments related to COA based other updated info.

New COAs:

NYU - $229k
Duke - $138
NU - $137

Feel free to update votes, add thoughts, etc.

Thanks!

whereskyle

Silver

Re: NYU ($) v. Duke ($$) v. NU ($$)-LS22 needs your help-UPDATED

Post by whereskyle » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 pm

lawschool22 wrote:See updated OP. I received a re-negotiated Duke scholarship recently. I also made some slight adjustments related to COA based other updated info.

New COAs:

NYU - $229k
Duke - $138
NU - $137

Feel free to update votes, add thoughts, etc.

Thanks!

Hey dude! Congrats on the new offers! One thing's for sure: you should contact NU, tell them that u liked asw, that u think NU is the school for u, but you're conflicted cuz of the matching scholly from higher ranked duke. They should bump it up for you on those grounds.

riverwater

Bronze

Re: UPDATED: NYU ($) v. Duke ($$) v. NU ($$)-LS22 needs you

Post by riverwater » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:41 am

Duke or Northwestern, whichever you think you'll like more.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:25 am

I still think NU gives you the best shot at employment because of the chicago connect. But Duke isn't an objectively wrong choice here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:30 am

Desert Fox wrote:I still think NU gives you the best shot at employment because of the chicago connect. But Duke isn't an objectively wrong choice here.
Do you think the NU COL estimate is realistic? At the moment I have $18,408/year at Duke and $19,652/year at Northwestern (these do not include the health insurance amount). These just seem way too close to me.
Last edited by lawschool22 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:34 am

lawschool22 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I still think NU gives you the best shot at employment because of the chicago connect. But Duke isn't an objectively wrong choice here.
Do you think the NU COL estimate is realistic? At the moment I have $18,408/year at Duke and $19,652/year at Northwestern (these do not include the health insurance amount). These just seem way to close to me.
NU COL loans will get you through the school year. Summer is a different story, but I assume that problem exists everywhere. Chicago is definitely more expensive than whatever college town Duke is in, but Chicago is a cheap city, relative to cities. Also, on campus living at major universities aren't really cheap either.

Go look at Northwesterns Class of 2013 data. Over 85% of the class is making six figs, is clerking, or is in government. It's worth it.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:41 am

lawschool22 wrote:
Do you think the NU COL estimate is realistic? At the moment I have $18,408/year at Duke and $19,652/year at Northwestern (these do not include the health insurance amount). These just seem way to close to me.
Durham is cheap, but it's not that cheap. It's a small city so housing stock is limited. Apartments near Duke campus are about $800 to $1,000 for a 1BR, which is a budget target you can hit in Chicago if you live in Lincoln Park with a 2BR and a roommate.

One thing to consider is that you can easily get by in Chicago without a car. Think about whether you can do so in Durham. I was pretty miserable without a car on Georgia Tech campus, and that was in the middle of Atlanta.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:42 pm

rayiner wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Durham is cheap, but it's not that cheap. It's a small city so housing stock is limited. Apartments near Duke campus are about $800 to $1,000 for a 1BR, which is a budget target you can hit in Chicago if you live in Lincoln Park with a 2BR and a roommate.

One thing to consider is that you can easily get by in Chicago without a car. Think about whether you can do so in Durham. I was pretty miserable without a car on Georgia Tech campus, and that was in the middle of Atlanta.
800-1000 for a 1BDR sounds incredibly cheap to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Update:

NU didn't budge on their scholarship offer. So the only remaining unknown is NYU. Planning to start negotiating after the ASW.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:57 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Update:

NU didn't budge on their scholarship offer. So the only remaining unknown is NYU. Planning to start negotiating after the ASW.
There's not a chance in the world NYU ups your scholarship 100k to match the other two's COA. Pick your preference of Duke or NU. I would have picked NU for the extra legal market.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rayiner wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

800-1000 for a 1BDR sounds incredibly cheap to me.
Those rates are pretty common. I pay ~$850 for a large 1BR, including utilities, and know people who pay less than $800. You can find 2BRs for around ~$900. These aren't budget options, either - these prices are for one of the most popular apartment complexes.

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:56 pm

You are going to deposit anyway right, just to hedge? And, is NU's offer truly final? That is, suppose you get into Cornell (you almost certainly will) and get a great offer. Could you later use that to further negotiate or is NU's negotiation a one-shot free throw? Anyone know?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:08 pm

retaking23 wrote:

You are going to deposit anyway right, just to hedge? And, is NU's offer truly final? That is, suppose you get into Cornell (you almost certainly will) and get a great offer. Could you later use that to further negotiate or is NU's negotiation a one-shot free throw? Anyone know?
I think I need to just decide between Duke and NU. Because tbh they will probably both be similar cost even with a cornell offer, since I imagine they would both increase to match. I may be wrong about that though. I'm just not excited to drop $750 if I would rather go to Duke anyway (although I'm not 100% sure of this yet). I see the argument for hedging though.

Pishee77

Bronze

Post by Pishee77 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:57 pm

I would go to NU ... but personal preference is a big variable here.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:53 pm

So, of course I loved NYU. I'm hoping they at least make a competive offer. Otherwise I think I will be at Duke.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:18 am

lawschool22 wrote:So, of course I loved NYU. I'm hoping they at least make a competive offer. Otherwise I think I will be at Duke.
Of course nyu made it difficult for you. But great options. Congrats on whatever u do LS22

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Re: UPDATED: NYU ($) v. Duke ($$) - LS22 needs your help

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:19 pm

I decided late last week that between Duke and Northwestern I prefer Duke for a variety of reasons. As such, I withdrew from Northwestern. It is a great school but just wasn't the right fit for me.

At this point it is looking like Duke is where I'll be, assuming NYU doesn't significantly increase my offer, or any other unexpected WL activity takes place.

I removed NU from the poll, so if you would all like to vote again between the two options, that would be great. Although I'm pretty sure I know what the result will be.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Well, I have a new update. Through some unexpected series of events, I have secured some additional funding to supplement LS. Therefore I have updated total debt numbers, which are in the OP. I'm still waiting to hear back on scholarship reconsideration, so these numbers could change again. I have a feeling peoples' opinions are still unlikely to change, but you never know. NYU is getting to a more reasonable number, and it's where I prefer to be, but I still don't know if it's worth the differential.

Thanks for your thoughts, as always.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 am

Personally, I don't think NYU is worth $80k more than Duke - especially if your target market is D.C. You are so close to getting Duke at <$100k of debt, which is an enviable situation.

This is coming from a 0L that would love to see you withdraw from Duke so I can take some of that scholarship money :) , but in all honesty, what is holding you back from committing to Duke? There must be something else on your mind that is making this decision more difficult in your head than it is on paper.

3L2014

New

Post by 3L2014 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:15 am

its probably the TLS mantra that NYU is TWO WHOLE TIERS better!

HYS
CCB
MVPB
DCNG

(Note my sarcasm)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”