To Retake, and to Retake for Where? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tuxedo

New

To Retake, and to Retake for Where?

Post by Tuxedo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm not exactly sure where to post these questions on TLS, but here goes:

Background
I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but as a relative TLS noob I'm trying to make some big choices even as I entertain offers from some regional schools (SMU, Emory, et al). I may have an opportunity to continue teaching at my high school even though I had initially told admin that I wouldn't be returning next year.

I know that the standard advice for me (3.78/165 with one retake remaining) is RETAKE, and it's advice I'm considering for the Sept/Oct LSAT. Just in case some well-meaning TLSers are questioning whether or not they're heard. I'm getting married in August and my future wife's family is in TX, and my family is spread out throughout the Southeast (mostly in TN). Ideally I'd like to practice in a mid-to-big law firm, and I'd like to have the option to make that choice as I exit law school instead of having my school make it for me (in effect). I refuse to think that I'm going to be the school's exception, no matter how hard I study. Also, finances aren't going to be a problem, really. FWIW, the comments about not wasting the GPA were heard.

SMU or Emory give me something of a chance of accomplishing those goals, but I am considering whether it would be wiser to burn a year and the cost of applications, enjoy the first year of marriage while studying and retaking, and then attend a T14 with the goal of landing a good job in TX or the Southeast.

Questions for Y'all
1. OK: I know T14s place well in lots of markets—but do any have a particular connection with TX and SE markets? I'm guessing UVA for the Southeast, and obviously HYS will land jobs well most anywhere.

2. Failing a T14 admission, I'm assuming Texas and Vandy are the best spots. Correct? For those that might know, how portable is Vandy to TX and UT to the South?

3. I've got a 164 and 165 LSAT—is retaking and getting a bigger score a problem? Ken's data in his posting in the FAQ forum from 2008 has a list of schools that take the highest LSAT but I'm wondering how current that is. If I jumped to 170+ I think I'd have a good explanation of the difference there (working a demanding job as a teacher, personal life, etc). Is that jump a liability for any T14s these days, and if so, which ones?

4. For which schools is a 3.78 a barrier to entry?

5. If you have any recommendations of other threads to read on TLS please let me know . . .

Thanks y'all. This board has been very helpful despite the immense amount of snark, but I've just been passing that on to my students to get it out of my system. They say thank you.

francesfarmer

Silver

Re: To Retake, and to Retake for Where?

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:18 pm

This is you with a 168-172.

This is you with a 166-168.

Check out mylsn.info.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:27 pm

UT is good for jobs in TX, Vandy for the south(east?). However I would set my sights on Duke/UVA considering you want big law. 4 or so more points should set you up for a solid scholarship to those schools but of course the more points the better. 3.78 is probably only a barrier to YS (Harvard possible if you crush the LSAT).

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:37 pm

1. I wouldn't worry about this right now. Retake for a 170+, blanket the T20 and see where you get money. T14 students with TX ties seem to do pretty well, even in the 1L SA search.

2. Again, I think you should worry about this after next cycle's offers come in.

3. Your old scores won't hurt you at all. Some schools claim to average scores just as a joke. I wouldn't even write an addendum, honestly.

4. Even HLS is possible with a 3.78. Y and S are not totally out of the question either.

5. Feel free to run your LSAT retake plan by me. I retook a similar score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”