Not Sure Where To Go Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jenniferschecter

New

Re: Not Sure Where To Go

Post by jenniferschecter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:14 pm

sublime wrote:
Thanks.

As the above poster mentioned, really look around on http://www.lawschooltransparency.com as it will explain the responses you are getting. For many of those schools something like one out of three graduates get a full time legal job. With as much as they cost, that can be life ruining.

Gl

ETA: lol, I was just gonna let the avi thing go. :lol:
Okay cool thank you so much. Honestly I used the LSAC Official Tool since I didn't have an advisor. Most of those schools I was guaranteed to get into, so I decided to apply to them unknowing all the other factors. I at least checked each school for specialization, which is why I also was okay with applying cause I was like okay I'll get in and the programs are great.

jenniferschecter

New

Post by jenniferschecter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:15 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:omg no way this is real

... Jenny Schecter is far and away the worst character on the L word,
LOL Don't hate

jenniferschecter

New

Post by jenniferschecter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:16 pm

BVest wrote:
jenniferschecter wrote: I feel way behind because I'm out of college so had no advisor to guide me.
If you're looking for the personal help, you might check back with St. John's. Often pre-law advisors will work with alumni as well as current students.
Yeah I just realized that today, and I contacted my school - which then set me up with an advisor and I'll be seeing him on Friday, but now that I've already applied it's like shit. He can help but idk how much.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:30 am

arklaw13 wrote:Smells like flame, but I'll bite.

Don't go to law school.

/thread

johnnyquest

Bronze

Post by johnnyquest » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:41 am

arklaw13 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:Smells like flame, but I'll bite.

Don't go to law school.

/thread

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 am

jenniferschecter wrote:
Nomo wrote:Go to Law School Transperancy's website. Look very carefully at the employment info for each school. Remember that outside of big firms, most starting attorney salaries are 40-60k. Figure out how much you'll have to borrow for tuition and living expenses. Add in 3 years of interest accumulation and see what you'll owe. Then use a loan calculator to see what you're payments will be.
After I do all that, you're saying to compare all of them and see which is the cheapest option? And kind of go from there?
Not exactly. The point of going to Law School Transparency and checking out the employment numbers is so that you can balance the employment prospects against the future monthly payments.

I'm nearly positive that if you do this you'll decide you should retake the LSAT and try to get into better schools with better scholarship opportunities. Or if you can't get a better LSAT score, you'll simply decide law school isn't worth the costs for you.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:12 am

In the chance this is real..

I just wouldn't go to law school in this case. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you've taken the LSAT twice and gotten a 135 both times (even if you took them totally cold), going to a solid law school might just not be in the cards.

jenniferschecter

New

Post by jenniferschecter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:26 am

KatyMarie wrote:In the chance this is real..

I just wouldn't go to law school in this case. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you've taken the LSAT twice and gotten a 135 both times (even if you took them totally cold), going to a solid law school might just not be in the cards.
My most recent score was a 150 though.

jenniferschecter

New

Post by jenniferschecter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:26 am

And I am very real thank you very much..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:35 am

jenniferschecter wrote:

My most recent score was a 150 though.
Sorry, read the OP wrong. If you think you can improve to the mid-160's or so, wait out this cycle. Study your ass off with some good resources and retake. Your options drastically improve even if you just get to 160. Good luck

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:10 pm

I believe that you can indeed get your score up to a 160 if you are motivated to do so. A 15 point improvement from Kaplan is nice. But I think most will tell you that it is far from the best test prep. If you spend some money on a private tutor (less hours than a course, but more effective) and study up, I do think you can improve.

That being said, I do not think you have to do that if you are comfortable paying some money to move into a legal career.

TLS posters will like to trash talk and talk about TTT schools, but I know a number of people who have gone to Brookyln, Hofstra, St. John's and Albany and are all doing quite well. St. John's has a really good career services team if you are proactive in talking to them. I think they place pretty well in local govt and crim law positions. Albany is actually a nice option too because they are one of the few NYS law schools and they place very well within the city of Albany for positions in state government.

Your interest in media and IP will make getting a job from one of these schools very difficult, but not impossible. You will need to do really well there (top 10-15% of the class), and I would hesitate to take on too much debt from these schools as the job market is not strong enough to be sure you can pay it back. Also, I would recommend you choose an NYC school (Brooklyn or St. Johns, maybe Seton Hall) if you want to be in NY/NJ and do media and IP. Other schools from outside the region will have very little pull and connections to firms in the local area.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:38 pm

buffalo_ wrote:
That being said, I do not think you have to do that if you are comfortable paying some money to move into a legal career.

TLS posters will like to trash talk and talk about TTT schools, but I know a number of people who have gone to Brookyln, Hofstra, St. John's and Albany and are all doing quite well. St. John's has a really good career services team if you are proactive in talking to them. I think they place pretty well in local govt and crim law positions. Albany is actually a nice option too because they are one of the few NYS law schools and they place very well within the city of Albany for positions in state government.
Are you seriously suggesting she doesn't need to retake a 150 because you know some people who have done okay out of TTTTs? What ? Encouraging anyone to "pay some money" to move into a legal career from any of these schools is ridiculous.

I'm still not convinced the OP is real (English degrees and wants to practice IP law, pretty poor writing for someone with a graduate degree in English) but on the off chance she is or real people considering these dumpster fires are reading this, retake or don't go. Most likely don't go.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:39 pm

OP checks off pretty much every box in the troll category which paradoxically makes me think she is real (presumably a real troll would be less obvious but maybe OP is also a lazy troll)

On the off chance this is real: don't attend any of these schools, even for free. It's like a "who's who" of the worst law schools in existence.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jenniferschecter

New

Post by jenniferschecter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting she doesn't need to retake a 150 because you know some people who have done okay out of TTTTs? What ? Encouraging anyone to "pay some money" to move into a legal career from any of these schools is ridiculous.

I'm still not convinced the OP is real (English degrees and wants to practice IP law, pretty poor writing for someone with a graduate degree in English) but on the off chance she is or real people considering these dumpster fires are reading this, retake or don't go. Most likely don't go.
Thanks for everyone that was nice to me and gave honest advice but I'm outta here.. fuck off bro.. just because I don't feel like writing as proper as my degrees taught me on your stupid fucking forum doesn't mean i'm not real. done trying to prove myself, thanks for giving your shitty forum a bad rep because i'll tell everyone i know not to come on here as there are more assholes and morons than decent people who genuinely wanna help.

johnnyquest

Bronze

Post by johnnyquest » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:00 pm

jenniferschecter wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:

Thanks for everyone that was nice to me and gave honest advice but I'm outta here.. fuck off bro.. just because I don't feel like writing as proper as my degrees taught me on your stupid fucking forum doesn't mean i'm not real. done trying to prove myself, thanks for giving your shitty forum a bad rep because i'll tell everyone i know not to come on here as there are more assholes and morons than decent people who genuinely wanna help.
Cool, thread over.

TCR is wait and retake or don't go to law school.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 pm

jenniferschecter wrote:
Write properly, not proper. :D

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:

I am suggesting the poster retake. That is my number 1 suggestion. However, if for some reason that is not possible or the poster absolutely does not want to retake under any circumstances, I do think there are still options.

And not everyone wants to be a lawyer because its a prestigious job where they make lots of money. Some people just want to be a lawyer because they LIKE doing the work of lawyers. In that case, I see no problem with someone investing in themselves to accomplish that goal. Education doesn't have to be oriented at getting a return on your investment. It can be a preferential choice as to career options or an intellectual pursuit. As long as OP understands the market and financial implications, who are we to judge them for wanting to be a lawyer for the sake of being a lawyer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:11 pm

buffalo_ wrote:
And not everyone wants to be a lawyer because its a prestigious job where they make lots of money. Some people just want to be a lawyer because they LIKE doing the work of lawyers. In that case, I see no problem with someone investing in themselves to accomplish that goal. Education doesn't have to be oriented at getting a return on your investment. It can be a preferential choice as to career options or an intellectual pursuit. As long as OP understands the market and financial implications, who are we to judge them for wanting to be a lawyer for the sake of being a lawyer?
I'm not judging them for wanting to be a lawyer. I'm judging the idea that going to a school that will charge you a fuckton of money for a relatively low chance of becoming a lawyer is defensible. If OP wanted to work in a non-prestigious, small law setting, they'd get zero flak from me if they were looking a decent regional school at low cost. You can like the work all day; good luck making payments on six figures of debt on a 40k salary.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:03 pm

OP, please wait a while, use this forum's resources to study, and then retake and reapply. Good luck, and please don't go to any of the schools you listed. Not even with scholarships.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Retake or get a new dream. Nobody is going to hire you to work in IP, media, and entertainment law from these schools.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:53 pm

jenniferschecter wrote: i'll tell everyone i know not to come on here as there are more assholes and morons than decent people who genuinely wanna help.
Don't do your friends and associates that disservice. This forum has prevented so many people from ruining their lives, even if sometimes people are kind of assholes about it. Also a lot of these people are both assholes and genuinely want to help, listen to what they say, it is good advice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”