. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Removed for now.
Last edited by MT Cicero on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Glasseyes

Silver

Re: Waitlist Response Prep - School Advice Please!

Post by Glasseyes » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 am

I'm pretty sure we were at the same table at the UCLA admitted student's thing (chatting with a judge was fun, right?). Looks like you're having a killer cycle so far! I obviously have no frame of reference for this other than the fact that I'm making similar decisions from slightly less exciting choices myself, but if it were me...

First scenario: none of the waitlists come through. I'd probably do NU from those choices. The expense seems reasonable, plus you've got the bonus of a significant other with earning ability, meaning the COL expenses might be a lot less than they would otherwise. Employment outcomes seem a little less frightening than the others, and the location probably makes some degree of sense for where you're eventually hoping to return.

Second scenario: Michigan comes through. I think Michigan for essentially free beats NU and the rest of that bunch handily, mainly because it's free and Ann Arbor would be cheaper than living in Chicago anyway. The main question would be whether your significant other could find work there.

Scenario three: UVA happens. I suspect would probably get you a bit closer to a clerkship than everything ranked beneath it, and it whomps Michigan in terms of employment (especially on the underemployment side, yikes), so there's that. Then again, UVA is a long ways from your target job, just in terms of location, so you'd probably have some legwork and mailing of resumes to do come graduation time... though you'd be coming back with an impressive pedigree.

Scenario four: Chicago. I bet this would get you the outcome you want with the least hassle, but is it worth the debt? Coming out with minimal debt is a good way to live, so if only Chicago came through I'd probably use that admission to try and squeeze some merit aid out of NU. But if the clerkship is really important, Chicago would probably go further than NU. Then again, Chicago and UVA have similar clerkship numbers, so doing UVA for free still sounds awfully nice.

You've got some choices to make, my friend! Fortunately they're all good choices, all with a high probability of a good outcome since debt is likely to be minimal for you. Best of luck!

MT Cicero

Silver

Re: NU ($$$) v NYU ($$$$) v Mich ($$$$) v UVA ($$$$) v Chi ($$)

Post by MT Cicero » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:21 pm

Glasseyes...I'm almost positive I'm exactly who you think I am. Good to hear from you!

I just edited the subject line and changed the post a little bit in order to gather a few more responses, but thanks for the reply! Feel free to PM me with what you're still kicking around in terms of decisions.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:45 pm

UChicago

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:45 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:UChicago
If it were me I would do Chicago

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:52 pm

UChiacgo for sure, considering that you'd like to pursue a clerkship.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:58 pm

jk148706 wrote:
PrideandGlory1776 wrote:UChicago
If it were me I would do Chicago
Thanks. Any chance you guys could parse out the other options as well? Maybe rank them based on my desired outcomes? No worries if not!

*Remember that I'm only in at NU and WL'd at Chi/Mich/UVA. Pending at NYU.

*Edited

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:48 pm

UVA is actually the strongest of those schools clerkship wise, and if you have connections in the southeast, combined with UVAs own strong pull down there, you should have a nice margin (grades-wise) within which to get a federal clerkship. That's not to say you need to commit yourself to long-term employment down there, but to the (small) extent that a non-HYS 0L can try to maximize their clerkship potential, I think this is the way you would do it.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:57 pm

I think you choose between NYU and Chicago based upon which city you like more and which area you'd like to live after law school. The clerkship difference between the two schools isn't wide enough to be the primary consideration over other factors, and since you seem to be up in the air regarding your other interests, I'd go to the one that you would like to be for 3 years.

The one caveat that I would place is that NYU does seem to give better support (and have a better community) for some public interest areas, so I'd do my research on that before making the choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

staysha

New

Post by staysha » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:00 am

I would work like hell to get off those waitlists by sending LOCI's. I got off every waitlist I was on a few cycles ago, some with $$. That will also put you in the best possible position to negotiate (which works).

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:31 am

Go to NYU. You'll be happier and thank me later. I've heard UChi is kinda soul-sucking. After you get your job 1L year most people want to be in a posistion where they can enjoy a relaxed 2L and 3L year. NYU would seem like that place to me.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:03 pm

staysha wrote:I would work like hell to get off those waitlists by sending LOCI's. I got off every waitlist I was on a few cycles ago, some with $$. That will also put you in the best possible position to negotiate (which works).
PM sent!

MT Cicero

Silver

Re: NU ($$$) v Mich ($$$$) v UVA ($$$$)

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Poll added!

Also, choices down to three schools (and OP updated to reflect). I think the chances with my numbers at either of the other two I originally included are effectively zero.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 am

Yes...4 to 4 to 5 in the poll. My feelings exactly.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:12 pm

This is tough. I think what is making it tricky for me is the similar COA (which is a good thing), your geographic preferences, and your fuzzy goals. If you are dead set on clerking, I think UVA probably makes the most sense. If you are set on biglaw, I would probably lean toward Northwestern. I know Michigan may have more representation, but I think that could have more to do with Michigan not having a "home" market than anything else. Given Michigan's biglaw + federal clerk numbers (worse than UVA and NU) I probably would take that off your list.

Now that I think through it, since UVA is still good at getting biglaw, I think, by a narrow margin, UVA might make the most sense. But to be honest I would visit both schools and go with which one you like, since I doubt your outcome will be drastically different from either school. If you're at a place you enjoy, that could translate into better grades, which is all that is really going to matter for clerkships anyway.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:33 pm

lawschool22 wrote:This is tough. I think what is making it tricky for me is the similar COA (which is a good thing), your geographic preferences, and your fuzzy goals. If you are dead set on clerking, I think UVA probably makes the most sense. If you are set on biglaw, I would probably lean toward Northwestern. I know Michigan may have more representation, but I think that could have more to do with Michigan not having a "home" market than anything else. Given Michigan's biglaw + federal clerk numbers (worse than UVA and NU) I probably would take that off your list.

Now that I think through it, since UVA is still good at getting biglaw, I think, by a narrow margin, UVA might make the most sense. But to be honest I would visit both schools and go with which one you like, since I doubt your outcome will be drastically different from either school. If you're at a place you enjoy, that could translate into better grades, which is all that is really going to matter for clerkships anyway.
Yeah, I'm currently sitting on a good option with other good options possible. I'm thankful for that.

Here's a wrinkle: I may be a geo-bachelor for at least 1L. My wife would like to continue in her current job until we know whether or not I'd be able to make it back. If so, there's a chance we'll treat law school like a long deployment with a number of breaks in between. I'd like to fly home 2-3 times a semester during the longer breaks (non-retirement savings expected to be about $60-70K at the start of law school to help this cause).

Flying from UVA to my current city would be an arduous soul-sucking process involving many hours/layover and a pretty decent price tag. Either Michigan or NU is better in this regard (some direct flights but mostly 2-hops at <5-6 hours total time). Still, basing a decision as big as this at what will end up being 6 total times a year of crappy flights isn't ideal. It's still a factor for me. So is the ability to find an easy, furnished place to live.

I'll be visiting NU's ASW (see you there ls22) in a couple days, so that'll give me a look at one of my options. Thanks for the input!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Soco Law wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:This is tough. I think what is making it tricky for me is the similar COA (which is a good thing), your geographic preferences, and your fuzzy goals. If you are dead set on clerking, I think UVA probably makes the most sense. If you are set on biglaw, I would probably lean toward Northwestern. I know Michigan may have more representation, but I think that could have more to do with Michigan not having a "home" market than anything else. Given Michigan's biglaw + federal clerk numbers (worse than UVA and NU) I probably would take that off your list.

Yeah, I'm currently sitting on a good option with other good options possible. I'm thankful for that.

Here's a wrinkle: I may be a geo-bachelor for at least 1L. My wife would like to continue in her current job until we know whether or not I'd be able to make it back. If so, there's a chance we'll treat law school like a long deployment with a number of breaks in between. I'd like to fly home 2-3 times a semester during the longer breaks (non-retirement savings expected to be about $60-70K at the start of law school to help this cause).

Flying from UVA to my current city would be an arduous soul-sucking process involving many hours/layover and a pretty decent price tag. Either Michigan or NU is better in this regard (some direct flights but mostly 2-hops at <5-6 hours total time). Still, basing a decision as big as this at what will end up being 6 total times a year of crappy flights isn't ideal. It's still a factor for me. So is the ability to find an easy, furnished place to live.

I'll be visiting NU's ASW (see you there ls22) in a couple days, so that'll give me a look at one of my options. Thanks for the input!
Since your decisions are so close, this should definitely be added to the list of considerations. You aren't going to have a lot of free time during 1L, so something that would make this easier is definitely valid. I think this all falls under the "where would you be happiest" category, which I think you should definitely consider. That might tip the scales to NU for me.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:54 pm

Pick the one where you think you will be happiest. The costs and career opportunities are so similar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”