UVA v. Northwestern v. Texas ($) v. UCLA ($$) v. Minn (full) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose

UVA
19%
Northwestern
11%
Texas (in-state + $)
56%
UCLA ($$)
6%
Minnesota (full tuition)
8%

Total votes: 36

karateandfriendship

New

Re: UVA v. Northwestern v. Texas ($) v. UCLA ($$) v. Minn (full)

Post by karateandfriendship » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:58 am

whereskyle wrote:I agree with this. OP mentioned that OP is willing to do any law, but is OP willing to go to LS solely for any law without any real prospect of Fed. Clerkship or biglaw?
Good point. I don't have any desire to attend without any real prospect of a clerkship or Biglaw. However, and this might just be quibbling about what constitutes a real prospect, I think each of those schools gives me a shot at that goal. Thoughts?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:15 am

karateandfriendship wrote:
whereskyle wrote:I agree with this. OP mentioned that OP is willing to do any law, but is OP willing to go to LS solely for any law without any real prospect of Fed. Clerkship or biglaw?
Good point. I don't have any desire to attend without any real prospect of a clerkship or Biglaw. However, and this might just be quibbling about what constitutes a real prospect, I think each of those schools gives me a shot at that goal. Thoughts?
All of them have "any real prospect" of getting a biglaw SA, but only 2, Northwestern and UVA, have a "decent" chance worth banking on.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:49 am

BigZuck wrote:
whereskyle wrote:What does 125k (UT COA) w.o. TX Biglaw look like, OP?
Yeah, this is what makes me leery of UT at 125K. And that's the most likely outcome for the OP.
I know kalvano often talks about there being a fairly large number of mid-level paying jobs in Dallas. How true is that of the state as a whole? $125k debt on $40-50k/yr is scary. On $70-90k? Doable.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:30 pm

cotiger wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
whereskyle wrote:What does 125k (UT COA) w.o. TX Biglaw look like, OP?
Yeah, this is what makes me leery of UT at 125K. And that's the most likely outcome for the OP.
I know kalvano often talks about there being a fairly large number of mid-level paying jobs in Dallas. How true is that of the state as a whole? $125k debt on $40-50k/yr is scary. On $70-90k? Doable.
I really don't know. From my limited experience it seems like they do exist, but I don't know how attainable they are. If the fallback for people who miss the big law boat is something like an 80K job that would be pretty sweet.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:00 pm

The percentage of people at UT taking jobs in firms of 26-100 attorneys is tiny. Those firms may exist in larger numbers in Texas compared to elsewhere but we don't have much evidence that they hire a lot of people right out of law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:The percentage of people at UT taking jobs in firms of 26-100 attorneys is tiny. Those firms may exist in larger numbers in Texas compared to elsewhere but we don't have much evidence that they hire a lot of people right out of law school.
Good point. Not targeted by students for SAs? Not accepting students for SAs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”