Stanford vs UCLA (135k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nelson

Gold

Re: Stanford vs UCLA (135k)

Post by Nelson » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:28 pm

If OP wants to work for a firm, Stanford opens up opportunities that aren't going to be available even from the top of the class at UCLA. The difference between "median" at Stanford and median at UCLA is so dramatic that it's probably worth more than $300k.

If OP wants public interest, then Stanford is even more credited. Better institutional support, a shot at prestigious fellowships and clerkships, and access to jobs that again aren't even a possibility from UCLA.

I guess maybe UCLA makes sense if OP has a guaranteed job at a small firm that some family member owns after law school or he/she doesn't want to practice law.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Nelson wrote:TLS conventional wisdom has finally swung too far in reaction if people are seriously recommending UCLA (without even a full ride) over Stanford. The gap in post-grad options between these schools is staggering. There is no amount of money that would make me take UCLA here.
True. I was just thinking that if these were the only two choices, and one wasn't all about clerking and/or academia, then the UCLA full is more reasonable. There has to be a middle ground here, like a mid-low t14 with a substantial scholarship.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Nelson wrote:TLS conventional wisdom has finally swung too far in reaction if people are seriously recommending UCLA (without even a full ride) over Stanford. The gap in post-grad options between these schools is staggering. There is no amount of money that would make me take UCLA here.
135k is a full ride at UCLA for in state. I have the same option as OP among others, and if it came down to it, I'd probably still take S at sticker. Still waiting on financial aid and merit from other T14s as it is still a lot to stomach.

If these are OPs only two options I think the choice is obvious.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:01 pm

I would take Standorf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:18 am

titcr

go to stanford. it is an amazing school. or don't go to stanford and open up a spot for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”