Cardozo vs. Wash U? Neither? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
d cooper

Bronze

Re: Cardozo vs. Wash U? Neither?

Post by d cooper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Unicorn1 wrote:I want to bump this because I'm still super confused about something.

Everyone says retake retake retake, try to get top14. Well I want to stay in NY. Even if I waited the requisite time and retook and got my 163 to like a 170, and got into NYU or Columbia, it would likely be without scholarship. I'd then be FORCED to do big law since I'd have 300k in debt.

That doesn't seem desirable either. I don't understand why that's so much better than having minimal debt, even if it means much more limited job prospects.
With your hypothetical 170, you would be competitive at most of the T14. Cornell with a large scholarship (average of $110,000 with those numbers) is your best bet since you're set on NY. One of CCN with some scholarship would likely be on the table.

That would put you in a much better position compared to your current options.

Unicorn1

New

Post by Unicorn1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Unicorn1 wrote:I want to bump this because I'm still super confused about something.

Everyone says retake retake retake, try to get top14. Well I want to stay in NY. Even if I waited the requisite time and retook and got my 163 to like a 170, and got into NYU or Columbia, it would likely be without scholarship. I'd then be FORCED to do big law since I'd have 300k in debt.

That doesn't seem desirable either. I don't understand why that's so much better than having minimal debt, even if it means much more limited job prospects.
First of all, you mentioned in the OP that you'd prefer to go to GW out of your current options, so this geographical limitation seems to be fairly recent. Second, there is Fordham, which tends to be pretty stingy but would likely give a full ride or something close to a person with a 3.7/170. Don't count yourself out for good money this year either; especially with a June retake money off the waitlist happens a lot. Third, people with your GPA and a stronger LSAT score get big money all the time from Columbia and NYU. Not to mention that a goal of "doesn't want to be poor" pretty much screams "go T14" because it nearly assures you'll have a decent career as a lawyer. The other schools, while "free" if you ignore COL expenses, could very easily put you right back where you're at in three years.

You have to decide how important staying in NYC is. If you absolutely must, then retake in June and see if better options come about in NYC. If you can't improve, Cardozo for free isn't a terrible idea but I'd drop out after a semester or a year if real job prospects haven't materialized. If you are willing to be more flexible geographically, a retake could get you a substantial discount within the T14, and all of those schools place well into New York firms. And for what it's worth, I was 27 when I decided to sit out a year and retake, so I can assure you both that it can be done and that it can drastically improve your career trajectory.
The geographical limitation is more long-term, not for law school. I'm willing to go anywhere for law school more or less, with the EXCEPTION of Cornell. I went to UG in upstate NY and hated it, so won't be doing that again. But I'm not against anywhere else. I would eventually (ideally) like to live and practice in the NY metro area, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider other options if they were offered to me and none presented themselves in NY.

Retaking in June is not possible, though retaking in October is. I lied about that in my OP because I knew the responses I'd get and wanted to avoid that.

Yes retaking in October/December and applying for next cycle is an option, I just don't know if it's worth putting off my life another year. I see maybe gaining 3-5 pts and not being in such a better position. I'd probably get into a bottom tier t14 but with no scholarship offers, and maybe get more in offers from schools ranked 15-40.

I just feel like even if I manage a 168-170, I'll be overperforming, going to a law school where most people are more intelligent than I am, and will have a very low chance to finish top of my class and may very well not be in the top half even. And doing that with a ton of debt seems like a poor option.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Unicorn1 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

First of all, you mentioned in the OP that you'd prefer to go to GW out of your current options, so this geographical limitation seems to be fairly recent. Second, there is Fordham, which tends to be pretty stingy but would likely give a full ride or something close to a person with a 3.7/170. Don't count yourself out for good money this year either; especially with a June retake money off the waitlist happens a lot. Third, people with your GPA and a stronger LSAT score get big money all the time from Columbia and NYU. Not to mention that a goal of "doesn't want to be poor" pretty much screams "go T14" because it nearly assures you'll have a decent career as a lawyer. The other schools, while "free" if you ignore COL expenses, could very easily put you right back where you're at in three years.

You have to decide how important staying in NYC is. If you absolutely must, then retake in June and see if better options come about in NYC. If you can't improve, Cardozo for free isn't a terrible idea but I'd drop out after a semester or a year if real job prospects haven't materialized. If you are willing to be more flexible geographically, a retake could get you a substantial discount within the T14, and all of those schools place well into New York firms. And for what it's worth, I was 27 when I decided to sit out a year and retake, so I can assure you both that it can be done and that it can drastically improve your career trajectory.
The geographical limitation is more long-term, not for law school. I'm willing to go anywhere for law school more or less, with the EXCEPTION of Cornell. I went to UG in upstate NY and hated it, so won't be doing that again. But I'm not against anywhere else. I would eventually (ideally) like to live and practice in the NY metro area, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider other options if they were offered to me and none presented themselves in NY.

Retaking in June is not possible, though retaking in October is. I lied about that in my OP because I knew the responses I'd get and wanted to avoid that.

Yes retaking in October/December and applying for next cycle is an option, I just don't know if it's worth putting off my life another year. I see maybe gaining 3-5 pts and not being in such a better position. I'd probably get into a bottom tier t14 but with no scholarship offers, and maybe get more in offers from schools ranked 15-40.

I just feel like even if I manage a 168-170, I'll be overperforming, going to a law school where most people are more intelligent than I am, and will have a very low chance to finish top of my class and may very well not be in the top half even. And doing that with a ton of debt seems like a poor option.
That GPA+ 169 got 90K at Duke and Cornell last cycle. Score in that range and your options would be drastically different.

Your overperforming argument is weird to me. I scored like a 160 the first time I took it. That would be I believe below the bottom 25% at my school. So that means I should have ended up in the bottom 25% at my school right? But then I retook and ended up with a score above my school's top 25%. I ended first semester closer to the top 25% than the bottom 25%. The LSAT wasn't determinative one way or the other.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Yeah to second BigZuck I'm not a terribly bright dude and never did well in school and I went from below the 25th at Columbia to above the 75th with a retake and ended up with great grades. You might be surprised at the average intelligence of the class. You also might be surprised at how little anything that's happened before can predict law school grades.

Unicorn1

New

Post by Unicorn1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:28 pm

And what if I study again and can't improve or can only improve barely? Would that not hurt me if I apply again?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Unicorn1 wrote:And what if I study again and can't improve or can only improve barely? Would that not hurt me if I apply again?
The nice thing is schools are obsessed with rankings so they only care about your numbers. Your current results are basically locked in. To use an analogy you're probably familiar with, an LSAT retake is pretty much the definition of a freeroll.

Unicorn1

New

Post by Unicorn1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Unicorn1 wrote:And what if I study again and can't improve or can only improve barely? Would that not hurt me if I apply again?
The nice thing is schools are obsessed with rankings so they only care about your numbers. Your current results are basically locked in. To use an analogy you're probably familiar with, an LSAT retake is pretty much the definition of a freeroll.
haha

Ok...it would be a freeroll that costs a year of my life though

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:55 am

Unicorn1 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
haha

but for that year you could find yourself being offered a ton of money that you do not have to pay back with interest from law schools.

IMO- forget this cycle- retake, reapply and see how it goes

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:07 am

Unicorn1 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
haha

How? Are you going to be shipped off to prison or a desert island for a year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unicorn1

New

Post by Unicorn1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:01 pm

I have no contingency plans for the interim, and no idea what I'd do between now and next August. I'd spend the next 5-6 months studying, and after that would be in the same boat as I am in now, unable to find a real job since no one will want to hire me with the possibility I leave for law school.

It's also just one more year from starting my career. It has significant social effects.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:10 pm

ugh you people who waste your GPAs make me maf. You could have significantly better options on the table if you wait a year and get your LSAT score up. Even if you get a 168/169 which is V DOABLE, you can get into a lower T14 with pretty decent money and have a way better chance at getting a good job. I would think that one more year of feeling lame for not getting on with the law school thing already would be worth a significant chance of improving the rest of your career.
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:12 pm

Unicorn1 wrote:I have no contingency plans for the interim, and no idea what I'd do between now and next August. I'd spend the next 5-6 months studying, and after that would be in the same boat as I am in now, unable to find a real job since no one will want to hire me with the possibility I leave for law school.

It's also just one more year from starting my career. It has significant social effects.
You just sound awful. Just get a job and deal with the significant social effects. It can change the future trajectory of your career significantly.

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Unicorn1 wrote:I have no contingency plans for the interim, and no idea what I'd do between now and next August. I'd spend the next 5-6 months studying, and after that would be in the same boat as I am in now, unable to find a real job since no one will want to hire me with the possibility I leave for law school.

Get a job now and study while working. Aim for the September test and retake next June if needed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unicorn1

New

Post by Unicorn1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:57 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:ugh you people who waste your GPAs make me maf. You could have significantly better options on the table if you wait a year and get your LSAT score up. Even if you get a 168/169 which is V DOABLE, you can get into a lower T14 with pretty decent money and have a way better chance at getting a good job. I would think that one more year of feeling lame for not getting on with the law school thing already would be worth a significant chance of improving the rest of your career.
Yes I'm aware. But assuming everyone can get their score up that high is wrong, and even if so, your thoughts of it being worth feeling lame are also likely wrong. If it were that worth it, I would have ruled out law school for this cycle already.

Winston1984 wrote:

You just sound awful. Just get a job and deal with the significant social effects. It can change the future trajectory of your career significantly.
No you. Obviously, it's a very big deal to me. Yes, one year of my life right now is potentially worth 100k+ and/or not going to law school at all. As I said, finding a job is not easy considering the context. It's a very annoying situation.

I'm not saying I won't put off law school and retake, in fact I am leaning that way. But waiting another year to start law school is just something I'd hate doing, by far the biggest concern I have.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Unicorn1 wrote:I'm not saying I won't put off law school and retake, in fact I am leaning that way. But waiting another year to start law school is just something I'd hate doing, by far the biggest concern I have.
It may seem detestable, but a year will fly by.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:51 pm

OP- if you're too mentally weak to just suck it up and retake and to tell family and friends that you're sucking it up and retaking then just don't go to law school. You will crumble under the pressure and fail.

Or, just go wherever the hell you want. On behalf of TLS let me just say that we really don't care what you do and we don't have the time to keep going back and forth with you. We gave you advice, do with that what you will. YOLO bro, life is too short to argue with randos on the Internet.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 pm

1) Don't tell employers you are going to law school. People do it all the time. If you're uncomfortable with massaging the truth don't go into this profession.
2) Your legal career started when you got your first college grade or when you took the LSAT. You're in your career right now. All of the people who retook, got into vastly better schools, and had their careers set on a different trajectory didn't realize it at the time but they are very thankful now.
3) "Social effects?" Just tell people you got into a top law school but don't want to go because of the cost. They'll understand, will respect you for being mature, or most likely won't care either way.
4) Don't make financial investments based on emotion. Get rid of the idea that you get self-esteem or happiness from going to law school or being a lawyer. In fact, all of the available evidence points the other way- lawyers have much higher rates of depression, anxiety, and substance abuse that begins in law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unicorn1

New

Post by Unicorn1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:39 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

1) Don't tell employers you are going to law school. People do it all the time. If you're uncomfortable with massaging the truth don't go into this profession.
2) Your legal career started when you got your first college grade or when you took the LSAT. You're in your career right now. All of the people who retook, got into vastly better schools, and had their careers set on a different trajectory didn't realize it at the time but they are very thankful now.
3) "Social effects?" Just tell people you got into a top law school but don't want to go because of the cost. They'll understand, will respect you for being mature, or most likely won't care either way.
4) Don't make financial investments based on emotion. Get rid of the idea that you get self-esteem or happiness from going to law school or being a lawyer. In fact, all of the available evidence points the other way- lawyers have much higher rates of depression, anxiety, and substance abuse that begins in law school.
1. Not a good idea. At least not if it's something I want to be able to put on a resume and establish good contacts with. It has nothing to do with not being comfortable lying. It's just not smart unless I'm looking for a job in which I don't care if they end up hating me, and I won't be interested in any of those jobs anyway since I don't need the money badly enough. Even if I did lie, the idea that I could find a good paying job with no grad school and no marketable skills is about as ambitious as expecting to make BigLaw from Cardozo.

2. Ok sure, so this would be akin to taking a 1.5 year sabbatical in the middle of your career. Not standard practice.

3. Social effects refer to me very likely not being able to find gainful employment, not being in law school, spending a lot of time studying, and being a 25-26 year old with no job and a very indeterminate future. It's just not a desirable position lifewise when trying to meet new people, especially of the opposite sex.

4. There is no emotion. But, the idea that going into law is simply a "financial investment," is absurd. I'm not expecting to be incredibly happy while I'm in law school studying. That doesn't mean I will be in a worse position in life than I am currently.

Unicorn1

New

Post by Unicorn1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:05 am

I also don't know where I am going to live if I don't go to law school since I won't be able to get a loan for living expenses without it and where I am now is not an option past a few more months.

It's a very difficult decision.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:25 am

OP, you're just going through a quarter life crisis. It happens to everyone.

Whether you're talking to a pretty girl or an employer, speak confidently about who you are and where you're going. Tell them that you were a successful professional poker player, but didn't find it fulfilling. You're studying for the LSAT and plan to start law school next fall. That's it.

I'm sure you'll work out the details. I retook a 164 and got a 176, so feel free to PM for some tips.

killer133

New

Post by killer133 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:38 am

Why do so many people say "RETAKE is not an option" at the beginning, knowing that the response will be "RETAKE" anyways. This is Top Law School Forum. If you don't like hearing RETAKE, go create something like Tier 2,3,4 Law School Forum and chat there.

Hey OP, my first one was 164 after studying for a year. I studied another year and ended up with 172, headed to NYU. It's your choice. If you got 163, you have potential to raise another at least 5 points which will get you at lower T14.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:01 am

Unicorn1 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

1. Not a good idea. At least not if it's something I want to be able to put on a resume and establish good contacts with. It has nothing to do with not being comfortable lying. It's just not smart unless I'm looking for a job in which I don't care if they end up hating me, and I won't be interested in any of those jobs anyway since I don't need the money badly enough. Even if I did lie, the idea that I could find a good paying job with no grad school and no marketable skills is about as ambitious as expecting to make BigLaw from Cardozo.

2. Ok sure, so this would be akin to taking a 1.5 year sabbatical in the middle of your career. Not standard practice.

3. Social effects refer to me very likely not being able to find gainful employment, not being in law school, spending a lot of time studying, and being a 25-26 year old with no job and a very indeterminate future. It's just not a desirable position lifewise when trying to meet new people, especially of the opposite sex.

4. There is no emotion. But, the idea that going into law is simply a "financial investment," is absurd. I'm not expecting to be incredibly happy while I'm in law school studying. That doesn't mean I will be in a worse position in life than I am currently.
1) If you don't need the money badly enough, then you don't need to worry about what it's going to look like on your resume. Hell, work at Walmart. Bartend. Teach poker classes. Work on a campaign. Think of something.

2) No, it's akin to taking a self-directed test prep class in order to increase your career options, and potentially get a large performance bonus if you do well enough. A very large performance bonus.

3) Law students are a dime a dozen. Especially in NYC. Nobody cares, least of all members of the opposite sex (they are much more likely to care about your old career than the fact you were sucked into the boondoggle that is this profession). If you can't meet people before law school, going to Dozo isn't going to change things.

4) Emotion might be the wrong word. Naivete is better. You seem to just be wrapped up in the notion of being a "law student!" that just isn't the reality of things. It's not a magic ticket into being seen as a responsible adult that many people seem to think it is,, in fact it's a way for a lot of aimless liberal arts majors to defer real life for three years while they have their living expenses paid by the government. In fact, most of the flight from law school has been among the top applicants- anyone with any other options is staying the hell away.

Unicorn1

New

Post by Unicorn1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:23 am

banjo wrote:OP, you're just going through a quarter life crisis. It happens to everyone.

Whether you're talking to a pretty girl or an employer, speak confidently about who you are and where you're going. Tell them that you were a successful professional poker player, but didn't find it fulfilling. You're studying for the LSAT and plan to start law school next fall. That's it.

I'm sure you'll work out the details. I retook a 164 and got a 176, so feel free to PM for some tips.
This is probably the best advice I've gotten. I will write you a pm, thanks.

Unicorn1

New

Post by Unicorn1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:01 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Unicorn1 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

1) If you don't need the money badly enough, then you don't need to worry about what it's going to look like on your resume. Hell, work at Walmart. Bartend. Teach poker classes. Work on a campaign. Think of something.

2) No, it's akin to taking a self-directed test prep class in order to increase your career options, and potentially get a large performance bonus if you do well enough. A very large performance bonus.

3) Law students are a dime a dozen. Especially in NYC. Nobody cares, least of all members of the opposite sex (they are much more likely to care about your old career than the fact you were sucked into the boondoggle that is this profession). If you can't meet people before law school, going to Dozo isn't going to change things.

4) Emotion might be the wrong word. Naivete is better. You seem to just be wrapped up in the notion of being a "law student!" that just isn't the reality of things. It's not a magic ticket into being seen as a responsible adult that many people seem to think it is,, in fact it's a way for a lot of aimless liberal arts majors to defer real life for three years while they have their living expenses paid by the government. In fact, most of the flight from law school has been among the top applicants- anyone with any other options is staying the hell away.
1. I don't need it badly enough to work at McDonalds. That doesn't mean I don't need a real job.

2. I don't agree. You don't get a year off from life in any profession to take a self-directed prep class.

3. I certainly don't agree with this, and considering I've lived here my entire life and am kind of a social butterfly who is way more personable than average and has lots of friends, I am quite experienced on this matter. Telling people you're a law student is incredibly more socially acceptable than saying, "I'm unemployed but looking for work while studying for the LSAT and I MIGHT go to law school in 15 months."
Now, I agree that that doesn't necessarily mean you should go at all costs, hence the dilemma. But it is absolutely a non-negligible consideration for me, and you'll never be able to convince me otherwise.

4. I agree in part. I agree it is a way for lots of aimless liberal arts majors to put off life for 3 years. The difference here is I'm not doing that. I want to be a lawyer. I just want to get started on that track in August and not a year from August. You could say "studying for the LSAT is already being on the track," but now we're just talking semantics. Waiting a year is a major consideration, especially if you think it's questionable whether you'll be able to improve (and I'm unsure of that at the moment--I think it's likely I can improve, but certainly not guaranteed).
But again, I don't agree with the outside perspective. Even as it stands now, I tell people I'm starting law school in the fall when I meet them because that sounds a lot better than "I may go to law school or I may not and try to take the LSAT again and who knows what else in the meanwhile," coming from a 25 year old who will be 26 in a few months.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:28 am

1) What is a "real job?" I'm not joking here. What do you think that is?

2) Finance guys do something like this all the time. They work as analysts then go to a good B-school to increase their job prospects. CFAs work at crap jobs for a year studying for those damned tests that are way harder than the LSAT. People in the trades have to work as apprentices making min wage. If you fail the bar, then guess what, you have to sit around for another 6 months until the next testing date - doing a "not real job."

3) Again, who the hell are you hanging around who actually cares about that sort of thing?

4) The potential to get a full ride from a much higher school or into a T14 is not "semantics." It can lead to a drastic alteration of your career options in what is a very stratified profession. And think how much your parents' friends will love you when you say you are going to NYU or Columbia instead of Cardozo.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”