Suffolk v. Northeastern Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dvanlee

New

Suffolk v. Northeastern

Post by dvanlee » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:30 pm

I got into both Suffolk and Northeastern (and I'm waitlisted at BC). Obviously BC is my first choice, and I am well aware that NE is ranked much higher than Suffolk. My problem is, Suffolk gave me 30k and NE only gave me 10k. I've tried haggling with NE but they said they have a no-negotiation policy.

Overall cost is basically the same no matter which school I end up at. GPA 3.67, LSAT 160.

I plan to stay in Boston, so name recognition shouldn't be a problem. I KNOW Northeastern is a "better school", but better to the tune of $20k a year? 60k over the course of my education?

If I do decide on Suffolk, should I try and get more money out of them?

timbs4339

Gold

Re: Suffolk v. Northeastern

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:36 pm

dvanlee wrote:I got into both Suffolk and Northeastern (and I'm waitlisted at BC). Obviously BC is my first choice, and I am well aware that NE is ranked much higher than Suffolk. My problem is, Suffolk gave me 30k and NE only gave me 10k. I've tried haggling with NE but they said they have a no-negotiation policy.

Overall cost is basically the same no matter which school I end up at. GPA 3.67, LSAT 160.

I plan to stay in Boston, so name recognition shouldn't be a problem. I KNOW Northeastern is a "better school", but better to the tune of $20k a year? 60k over the course of my education?

If I do decide on Suffolk, should I try and get more money out of them?

NE is better than Suffolk to the tune of a 2% placement differential. In fact Suffolk has 3% on NE in biglaw+AIII jobs (6% to 9%). USNWR rankings mean exactly jack in this situation.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=northweastern
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=suffolk

NE is certainly not worth 20K per year over Suffolk. The bigger problem you have is that Suffolk isn't worth 120K+. 40% job placement rate means run the other way.

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:41 pm

These LST stats suprised me because I would have through NE's co-op would have given it some sort of boost.

Either way I agree neither of these schools are worth the debt you would be taking on.

dvanlee

New

Post by dvanlee » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:44 pm

politics89 wrote:These LST stats suprised me because I would have through NE's co-op would have given it some sort of boost.

Either way I agree neither of these schools are worth the debt you would be taking on.
Even if I'm only paying around 10k/year for Suffolk?

Hoosier2

New

Post by Hoosier2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 pm

If possible sit out and retake for next cycle. A 3.67 is a terrible thing to waste on either school, with just a few points higher you are in at BU/BC with scholarship which would be ideal if you want to stay in Boston. Did you apply to BU or BC this cycle?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:49 pm

dvanlee wrote:
politics89 wrote:These LST stats suprised me because I would have through NE's co-op would have given it some sort of boost.

Even if I'm only paying around 10k/year for Suffolk?
I mean if you're only going part-time or have a job secured for after graduation, it could be reasonable. But 40% is scary, epecially with, as another poster mentioned, a chance at BU/BC.

dvanlee

New

Post by dvanlee » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Hoosier2 wrote:If possible sit out and retake for next cycle. A 3.67 is a terrible thing to waste on either school, with just a few points higher you are in at BU/BC with scholarship which would be ideal if you want to stay in Boston. Did you apply to BU or BC this cycle?
I only applied to BC, due to the low LSAT. I've taken it twice now, 157 and 160. I'm waitlisted at BC. I'd go there in a heartbeat over Suffolk/NE if they accepted me. I don't think I can do another cycle.. I've told my job already...

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:01 pm

dvanlee wrote:
Hoosier2 wrote:If possible sit out and retake for next cycle. A 3.67 is a terrible thing to waste on either school, with just a few points higher you are in at BU/BC with scholarship which would be ideal if you want to stay in Boston. Did you apply to BU or BC this cycle?
I only applied to BC, due to the low LSAT. I've taken it twice now, 157 and 160. I'm waitlisted at BC. I'd go there in a heartbeat over Suffolk/NE if they accepted me. I don't think I can do another cycle.. I've told my job already...
Can you rescind your resignation? I'm sure they'd understand.

40% is just really really bad, and you can bet those jobs are mostly in the 40-60K range. What's the total COA including living expenses, accrued interest, books, origination fee, etc?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:03 pm

Also, would BC give you money off a waitlist? Because that's way too expensive at full price.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dvanlee

New

Post by dvanlee » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:07 pm

politics89 wrote:Also, would BC give you money off a waitlist? Because that's way too expensive at full price.
As far as I'm aware, no. I think they assume if you're lucky enough to get off the list, you'll pay whatever you have to to go there. I might qualify for some need-based money, but I truly doubt BC would give me any merit-based.

Also, what about transferring? After 1L your grades matter more than the LSAT score.. any ideas how difficult it is to transfer into a school like BC/BU?

Marquis

Bronze

Post by Marquis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:14 pm

I think retaking the LSAT is the best move here. If you 100% want to stay in Boston/New England after school you're going to want BU/BC with money. I understand that BU tends to like high GPAs and BC tends to like high LSATs though, so that may play into your decision making process. The problem with Northeastern and Suffolk is that they compete in a small market against many other top tier schools. So they are risky, even for free.

If you're deadset on going to LS and picking between these two I'd leverage the hell out of them and see how much more money you can get. You want to be going for free or as close to free as possible, including COL, and then be prepared to hustle for work. I'm led to believe that Suffolk has a strong alumni network in Boston, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Re: transferring - TCR is never attend LS with the intention of transferring. Everyone goes in thinking they'll be at the top of their class which is a statistical impossibility. Work your ass off, but make decisions assuming an outcome of median and don't pick a school you would not be ok with graduating from.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvanlee

New

Post by dvanlee » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Marquis wrote:I think retaking the LSAT is the best move here. If you 100% want to stay in Boston/New England after school you're going to want BU/BC with money. I understand that BU tends to like high GPAs and BC tends to like high LSATs though, so that may play into your decision making process. The problem with Northeastern and Suffolk is that they compete in a small market against many other top tier schools. So they are risky, even for free.

If you're deadset on going to LS and picking between these two I'd leverage the hell out of them and see how much more money you can get. You want to be going for free or as close to free as possible, including COL, and then be prepared to hustle for work. I'm led to believe that Suffolk has a strong alumni network in Boston, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Re: transferring - TCR is never attend LS with the intention of transferring. Everyone goes in thinking they'll be at the top of their class which is a statistical impossibility. Work your ass off, but make decisions assuming an outcome of median and don't pick a school you would not be ok with graduating from.

Fair enough. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”