Chicago-Kent Honors Scholar Program... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RLowry23

Bronze

Chicago-Kent Honors Scholar Program...

Post by RLowry23 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:33 am

I was recently invited to interview for Chicago-Kent's Honor's Scholar Program, I am pretty sure that I will be attending UIUC on a full scholarship but am intrigued by this.

It's a full tuition scholarship to the school plus the following:

"In their first year of law school, they attend an honors seminar that explores emerging legal issues in diverse areas, including biotechnology, human rights, Internet privacy, environmental regulation, and international relations. In their second year, Honors Scholars work one-on-one with the dean on a law and public policy project. In their final year, they collaborate with the dean to produce a publishable paper on a topic of particular interest."

I would think the value of those connections (working w/ the Dean, so on and so forth) would be pretty high?

Is this just a scam, or something I should seriously consider?

Winston1984

Gold

Re: Chicago-Kent Honors Scholar Program...

Post by Winston1984 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 am

I'd still rather have U of I on a full scholarship.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:23 am

It's marketing tactics:
Some schools offer those seminars in 1L year.
2L and 3L, you can do everything they describe with a law professor, some used to be school deans. A dean is just another law prof. The dean title comes and goes for a law prof.

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 pm

+1 also invited to interview for the scholarship. It's a full scholarship + living stipend. I applied on the last day the honors app was due when the thought of paying sticker at a t14 was freaking me out.
Here's more info if anyone's interested https://www.kentlaw.iit.edu/academics/j ... rs-program

There are only a few Honors Scholars each year so I imagine they get a lot of attention at the school. Curious to get others' opinion. To me, seems like a good option if considering working in Chicago. Most legislators I've encountered in Chicago have law degrees from Loyola, DePaul, or Kent with hardly any representation from Northwestern or U Chicago.
Curious what other people think about this option as well. Since you have to have a 163+ LSAT and 3.5+ gpa students selected for the honors program have other options incl. top 14 or at least top 20 with $$$

RLowry23

Bronze

Post by RLowry23 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:09 pm

pixy1900 wrote:+1 also invited to interview for the scholarship. It's a full scholarship + living stipend. I applied on the last day the honors app was due when the thought of paying sticker at a t14 was freaking me out.
Here's more info if anyone's interested https://www.kentlaw.iit.edu/academics/j ... rs-program

There are only a few Honors Scholars each year so I imagine they get a lot of attention at the school. Curious to get others' opinion. To me, seems like a good option if considering working in Chicago. Most legislators I've encountered in Chicago have law degrees from Loyola, DePaul, or Kent with hardly any representation from Northwestern or U Chicago.
Curious what other people think about this option as well. Since you have to have a 163+ LSAT and 3.5+ gpa students selected for the honors program have other options incl. top 14 or at least top 20 with $$$
Where do you see the living stipend part? I was pretty sure it's just full tuition?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:13 pm

I saw it mentioned in other posts from past years, but it could have changed this year. Have you gotten the info packet about it yet? Might be in there

chewy13

New

Post by chewy13 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:17 pm

I was also invited to interview in April. Anyone know anything about the interview?

Psy123

New

Post by Psy123 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:13 pm

It no longer provides a stipend, thats how it was before now its just full tuition.

Because of COL Kent will probably cost you more in the long run, and I personally don't see all that much value in this Scholars Program but thats just me

RLowry23

Bronze

Post by RLowry23 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Yeah, I got excited about it when you mentioned stipend but it seems much less desirable without it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:48 pm

agreed. poor choice on their part if they want to get people with other offers. I bet the honors applicants could get full rides in the top 20-30

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:05 pm

Minimum LSAT used to be 165 and there was no GPA requirement. I had a good friend that was an honors scholar at Kent.

RLowry23

Bronze

Post by RLowry23 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:59 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:Minimum LSAT used to be 165 and there was no GPA requirement. I had a good friend that was an honors scholar at Kent.
Did they find it worthwhile?

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 am

Bumping this topic. just got accepted to the honors program, and it seems pretty appealing... (full tuition, individual attention from dean) anyone have any experience with this program? When I visited I talked to a current honors scholar who turned down UChicago for this program and doesn't regret it, but also another student who is transferring to UChicago after his first year in the program.... feeling very lost

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:29 pm

pixy1900 wrote:Bumping this topic. just got accepted to the honors program, and it seems pretty appealing... (full tuition, individual attention from dean) anyone have any experience with this program? When I visited I talked to a current honors scholar who turned down UChicago for this program and doesn't regret it, but also another student who is transferring to UChicago after his first year in the program.... feeling very lost
Completely anectodal, one of my good friends took a full ride from Kent (don't think he was a scholar to be fair) but he completely regrets going. He graduated last year and said he wished he had gone to a school with better employment placement. He said a few classmates did get big law, but most of his friends including some in the top 10% got jobs making between 40k and 60k or without a job. He said that even though there are a lot of alumni in Chicago they aren't very active or helpful. Maybe the scholar program is better.

If Kent is by far the biggest scholarship award winner then I think it is definitely a defensible pick.

If you have big scholarship offers from UIUC or ND I would go for those instead.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”