Harvard JD/MBA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Andy.A

New

Harvard JD/MBA

Post by Andy.A » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:43 am

Some top law schools already have 3-year joint JD/MBA programs. Any rumors on whether Harvard is going to introduce 3-year JD/MBA in the near future?

jingosaur

Gold

Re: Harvard JD/MBA

Post by jingosaur » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Andy.A wrote:Some top law schools already have 3-year joint JD/MBA programs. Any rumors on whether Harvard is going to introduce 3-year JD/MBA in the near future?
There's nothing suggesting that Harvard will do this. They pull in about 7 or 8 JD/MBAs per year and HLS has a Law and Business specialty track along with other resources that help HLS students get more recognition from HBS recruiters. I've talked to alumni who have done only HLS on the business track and all of them have said they got everything out of the business school that they wanted. The only thing you don't get is the MBA first year core curriculum and much of that is taught in UG or learned in the workplace. If they created a 3 year JD/MBA program, the business track HLS students would get a very similar experience and have to pay an additional $50k to $80k in COA.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:54 pm

jingosaur wrote:If they created a 3 year JD/MBA program, the business track HLS students would get a very similar experience and have to pay an additional $50k to $80k in COA.
Why an extra 50-80k in COA? HBS generally gives better aid packages than HLS (sibling attended HBS, so first-hand knowledge on standard aid). If you had to pay HLS years 1 & 3, HBS year 2, it could definitely be cheaper unless they do the Columbia model where they make you pay 4 years of tuition for a 3-year program...no reason to assume they would do that though.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:56 pm

jingosaur wrote:
Andy.A wrote:Some top law schools already have 3-year joint JD/MBA programs. Any rumors on whether Harvard is going to introduce 3-year JD/MBA in the near future?
There's nothing suggesting that Harvard will do this. They pull in about 7 or 8 JD/MBAs per year and HLS has a Law and Business specialty track along with other resources that help HLS students get more recognition from HBS recruiters. I've talked to alumni who have done only HLS on the business track and all of them have said they got everything out of the business school that they wanted. The only thing you don't get is the MBA first year core curriculum and much of that is taught in UG or learned in the workplace. If they created a 3 year JD/MBA program, the business track HLS students would get a very similar experience and have to pay an additional $50k to $80k in COA.
Any info on how to apply for this business track deal?

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:59 pm

kartelite wrote:
jingosaur wrote:If they created a 3 year JD/MBA program, the business track HLS students would get a very similar experience and have to pay an additional $50k to $80k in COA.
Why an extra 50-80k in COA? HBS generally gives better aid packages than HLS (sibling attended HBS, so first-hand knowledge on standard aid). If you had to pay HLS years 1 & 3, HBS year 2, it could definitely be cheaper unless they do the Columbia model where they make you pay 4 years of tuition for a 3-year program...no reason to assume they would do that though.
I assumed that they would do that. I couldn't find Yale's info, but Columbia, Penn, and Northwestern all change 4 years of tuition for their 3 year JD/MBA programs. Penn and Northwestern also require courses during the 1L summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 pm

t-14orbust wrote: Any info on how to apply for this business track deal?
There's no application for the specialty tracks. My understanding is that students can pursue any track or combination of tracks that they want during 2L and 3L. Might want to ask an HLS student about details though.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:09 pm

jingosaur wrote:
kartelite wrote:
I assumed that they would do that. I couldn't find Yale's info, but Columbia, Penn, and Northwestern all change 4 years of tuition for their 3 year JD/MBA programs. Penn and Northwestern also require courses during the 1L summer.
Didn't know about Northwestern, but I did know Penn's was more though didn't realize it was a full 4 years' worth. Since Penn requires summer classes, it makes sense they would charge extra.

I also couldn't find any info about Yale, but from what I can tell it is just 3 years of tuition, and that seems to jibe with what my interviewer at Yale SOM was suggesting when talking about the program structure.

Columbia charging 150% tuition at CBS for one year of classes is insane.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm

kartelite wrote: Columbia charging 150% tuition at CBS for one year of classes is insane.
Yup.

Andy.A

New

Post by Andy.A » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:02 am

jingosaur wrote:
It makes sense. Thank you and everybody else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”