USC v Texas Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

USC v Texas

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:58 am

My ties to TX and CA are pretty weak, but I currently reside in TX. I have no animus against working in LA, but it is not a top choice. My top choices are Las Vegas, Austin, or Pittsburgh, but I will work anywhere if it means a good job. Financial concerns are important, but I will not be graduating with debt thanks to savings and parental help (two resources I would much rather not abuse). I have received $5,000/yr from Texas with instate tuition and $35,000/yr from USC. Total COA at Texas comes to $150,000. COA at USC comes to $120,000. I am not set on biglaw (though I probably would not refuse an offer) or public interest at this point. My main concern in going to USC is that I have never lived in LA (I have lived in SD for 1 year--helpful?), and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by not having ties when it comes to finding a job. I do have ties to Las Vegas, but I do not know if that will play positively to socal employers.

Winston1984

Gold

Re: USC v Texas

Post by Winston1984 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:05 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ties are important for LA. It's LA. The consensus seems to be that TX definitely wants ties, but even though yours may seem weak, you do have some. I think this just comes down to preference between LV and Austin. If LV>Austin I would think USC is the better choice. Retaking if you can is probably TCR too to lower COA. I would definitely negotiate between the two. Set up a poll too.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:23 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ties are important for LA. It's LA. The consensus seems to be that TX definitely wants ties, but even though yours may seem weak, you do have some. I think this just comes down to preference between LV and Austin. If LV>Austin I would think USC is the better choice. Retaking if you can is probably TCR too to lower COA. I would definitely negotiate between the two. Set up a poll too.
With weak ties, its easier to be in LA than TX. Plus, USC is giving you more money. If these are your best options, deposit USC and retake for higher score in June to negotiate more scholly.

It is not hard to crack LV from USC (they do not have strong regional schools), but it will be difficult to crack Austin, even from UT.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Can't really go wrong with either given your goals. Visit first and if you like one much more than the other, go there. I think the objectively better choice is USC because Texas is not worth $30k more. I'm not too familiar with CoL differences between LA and Austin.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:09 pm

It seems like you need to visit both and see where you'd be happier. You can't really go wrong with either school. Obviously, getting more scholarship would be ideal though. Not everyone likes L.A. (And I say this as a San Diegan. L.A. is not the same as San Diego). If you do like L.A. and USC, then go there, but if you'd think you'd be more comfortable in Austin, go there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Jchance wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ties are important for LA. It's LA. The consensus seems to be that TX definitely wants ties, but even though yours may seem weak, you do have some. I think this just comes down to preference between LV and Austin. If LV>Austin I would think USC is the better choice. Retaking if you can is probably TCR too to lower COA. I would definitely negotiate between the two. Set up a poll too.
With weak ties, its easier to be in LA than TX. Plus, USC is giving you more money. If these are your best options, deposit USC and retake for higher score in June to negotiate more scholly.

It is not hard to crack LV from USC (they do not have strong regional schools), but it will be difficult to crack Austin, even from UT.
UT student here- I pretty much agree with this. I would rather have weak ties in LA than in TX. Also, getting a job in Austin almost certainly ain't happening.

Both schools are too expensive as is (especially UT), you have got to retake the LSAT and at least bring the COA down.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Visit both schools, then decide.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Are you sure about that COA for UT?

In-state 30K - your scholarship of 5K = 25K/year X 3 = 75K.

This leaves 75K or so for living expenses. I have lived here for 7 years, it doesn't cost 25K a year to live in Austin.

Also, if you got $$ from UT, did you apply to any T14?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:39 pm

hookem7 wrote:Are you sure about that COA for UT?

This leaves 75K or so for living expenses. I have lived here for 7 years, it doesn't cost 25K a year to live in Austin.

True, but you easily could live in Austin for 25K/year if you were being quite egregious in your downtown apt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Isn't instate 33k? Plus there's interest.

84K tuition plus 60K COL=144K and then factor in interest and 150K sounds pretty close.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:

84K tuition plus 60K COL=144K and then factor in interest and 150K sounds pretty close.
Right, plus non-rent and food expenses add up super fast (not just at UT, of course). Books, supplements, suits, dry cleaning, travel (home on breaks and to interviews). I think by the end of the year, I will have spent more than the COL estimated for UT. But I admittedly spend a lot on food and alcohol and had to buy some furniture.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:46 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Right, plus non-rent and food expenses add up super fast (not just at UT, of course). Books, supplements, suits, dry cleaning, travel (home on breaks and to interviews). I think by the end of the year, I will have spent more than the COL estimated for UT. But I admittedly spend a lot on food and alcohol and had to buy some furniture.
Yeah, I don't know if its my sophisticated Old tastes but I'm spending way more than I expected. And I cook at home a lot.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Bigzuck's calculations were pretty much what I used + I assumed that tuition would increase by roughly $2,000 for next year given the hyperinflation that exists within our favorite educational industry. I applied to a number of T14 schools, but I am waitlisted at 5 of them right now. I imagine that even if I do get off any of the waitlists that I will expect to pay sticker, so none of those options sounds appealing. I don't care to pay an add'l $100k for prestige when I don't need biglaw to pay off loans. If I get off some waitlists AND they give me substantial aid (lol?), I'll make a new thread. Right now, it seems like USC is the way to go...I agree that UT is not worth $30k more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawismine

New

Post by lawismine » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:59 pm

I think USC would be a better choice. I think Las Vegas firms would appreciate a USC degree.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Jchance wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:With weak ties, its easier to be in LA than TX. Plus, USC is giving you more money. If these are your best options, deposit USC and retake for higher score in June to negotiate more scholly.

I agree with the sentiment that LA is easier to crack than Austin, but is it really that easy to get LV? Austin actually has more lawyers (5XXX) than LV (3XXX). Plus, there are only, I believe, 3 biglaw firms in all of LV. I imagine most legal work in Vegas is gaming/biglaw/PI, which doesn't seem all that expansive. In addition, I have no problem working in large TX cities and would prefer that to CA for CoL concerns alone. I wish to reemphasize, however, that location is not a deal breaker to me in any manner whatsoever. My top choices are my top choices because I have the strongest ties there, but I would really live anywhere in exchange for a good job.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:19 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:

Bigzuck's calculations were pretty much what I used + I assumed that tuition would increase by roughly $2,000 for next year given the hyperinflation that exists within our favorite educational industry.
Minor point, but I think tuition and fees at UT are locked in when you start your first semester, and don't change during your time there.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:13 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:

Bigzuck's calculations were pretty much what I used + I assumed that tuition would increase by roughly $2,000 for next year given the hyperinflation that exists within our favorite educational industry.
Minor point, but I think tuition and fees at UT are locked in when you start your first semester, and don't change during your time there.
That's really nice. Good job, UT.

Edit: Got a source for this? Looking around, it looks like it's just for undergrad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:11 am

cotiger wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:

That's really nice. Good job, UT.

Edit: Got a source for this? Looking around, it looks like it's just for undergrad.
Would you accept it if a UT student said so?

If so, then yes, from what I understand he's right.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:08 am

BigZuck wrote: Would you accept it if a UT student said so?

If so, then yes, from what I understand he's right.
Okie doke.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:21 am

https://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/costs/

It does appear that UT locks in tuition at the rate of the matriculation year.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Both USC and Texas increased their offers by $15,000, which is nice, but does not change the decision because they cancel each other out. Total CoA at USC is $111,000; at Texas, it's $120,000. I think I had a bad cycle (3.5x/168) because I didn't get into any T14s. I'm waitlisted from Virginia to Georgetown, but I don't know if I should wait it out or just pick between USC and Texas now. Is it at all likely that a school will give substantial scholarship to a wait list candidate? I refuse to pay sticker for any school when I can save $135,000 at a slightly lesser institution.

Should I just make a decision now and withdraw from the waitlists, or is there any hope of getting money from a better school? I have no full ride offers anywhere, so I suppose even taking a year off and retaking may be an option. Maybe my recommendations or work experience sucked, but I've definitely improved my resume this year. I have no major CF issues.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:34 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote: Should I just make a decision now and withdraw from the waitlists, or is there any hope of getting money from a better school?
may as well ride out the WLs out to see whats up

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”