T6 or GTFO Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

(Blank) or GTFO?

Top 5
12%
Top 10
13%
T6
18%
T14
38%
Cooley
20%

Total votes: 133

yomisterd

Gold

T6 or GTFO

Post by yomisterd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:02 pm

A partner at a V20 firm that I have met before (former boss of parental unit) made a statement that prospective law students should not even go to law school if they are not going to a T6 school. Thoughts? Especially as someone currently in the middle of an application cycle, I am curious as to what others in TLS have to say.
Last edited by yomisterd on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: T6 or GTFO

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Obviously a little strong, but it's good to hear a boomer trying to scare people away from law school.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Obviously a little strong, but it's good to hear a boomer trying to scare people away from law school.
I wonder if part of him was basically stating, "We don't hire anyone but T6. So don't go anywhere except T6."

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 pm

If you take out NYU I'm on board.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:09 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:If you take out NYU I'm on board.
Why do you say that? (as someone strongly considering NYU)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:10 pm

yomisterd wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Obviously a little strong, but it's good to hear a boomer trying to scare people away from law school.
I wonder if part of him was basically stating, "We don't hire anyone but T6. So don't go anywhere except T6."
There isn't any firm that meets this criteria, so it can't be that.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:10 pm

this is pretty dumb. there are good outcomes and bad outcomes at every school. just some have more good than others. it comes down to individual CBA.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:12 pm

yomisterd wrote:
It's the runt of the litter.

Rangers5

New

Post by Rangers5 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Seems too strong to me. IMO a full ride to a top 14 school is still worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
yomisterd wrote:
Does this change if one gets a named scholarship? Thoughts?

SonlenNightfall

New

Post by SonlenNightfall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm sure this is the same sort of person who would suggest that the only steak you should eat is Kobe beef, and that the only suits you should ever wear are ones tailored in France.

Basically, this is someone who is quite out of touch with quality standards of normal people. A partner at a v20 firm could never IMAGINE going to a lowly school like UVA or Penn, so they fail to take into account that law school applicants are not partners at v20 firms and thus might find value where they see none. A homeless man sees non-Kobe beef in a very different light than a v20 partner does...

Maybe what this person meant was that "if you want to be a partner at a v20 law firm, you need to go to a T6 school". That assertion, while debatable, at least makes sense. However, is would be very stupid for that person to argue that everyone at UVA, UPenn, ect (regardless of career goals) is making a massive mistake. Let's hope he/she isn't that idiotic, or god help whatever v20 they work for.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Rangers5 wrote:Seems too strong to me. IMO a full ride to a top 14 school is still worth it.
I think he might have meant that if you were paying sticker, the only schools worth going to are T6 (or maybe he DID say T5 *nod to Mal*)

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Ahem

Its T4.... At least it is for the next month or so

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:17 pm

politics89 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
yomisterd wrote:
I'm just saying there is an anchoring problem. NYU is ranked number six. I wouldn't want to go to the school in the bottom of the top six. I would rather go to Penn, which is the top of the bottom fourteen. It's a matter of perception and these things matter to employers.

Rangers5

New

Post by Rangers5 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:17 pm

yomisterd wrote:
Rangers5 wrote:Seems too strong to me. IMO a full ride to a top 14 school is still worth it.
I think he might have meant that if you were paying sticker, the only schools worth going to are T6 (or maybe he DID say T5 *nod to Mal*)
That would definitely make a lot more sense and I would probably agree. If you're able to graduate from a top 14 with little to no debt, I would definitely say that is also worth it.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 pm

SonlenNightfall wrote:I'm sure this is the same sort of person who would suggest that the only steak you should eat is Kobe beef, and that the only suits you should ever wear are ones tailored in France.

Basically, this is someone who is quite out of touch with quality standards of normal people. A partner at a v20 firm could never IMAGINE going to a lowly school like UVA or Penn, so they fail to take into account that law school applicants are not partners at v20 firms and thus might find value where they see none. A homeless man sees non-Kobe beef in a very different light than a v20 partner does...

Maybe what this person meant was that "if you want to be a partner at a v20 law firm, you need to go to a T6 school". That assertion, while debatable, at least makes sense. However, is would be very stupid for that person to argue that everyone at UVA, UPenn, ect (regardless of career goals) is making a massive mistake. Let's hope he/she isn't that idiotic, or god help whatever v20 they work for.
Um...plenty of v20 partners are from Penn...

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 pm

These kind of statements are way too broad to serve as a good rule. But while it may be too broad to say that only six schools are worth going to, you should probably at least have numbers that are T14 worthy, or close to that, regardless of where you go to law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:21 pm

SonlenNightfall wrote:I'm sure this is the same sort of person who would suggest that the only steak you should eat is Kobe beef, and that the only suits you should ever wear are ones tailored in France.

This doesn't make any sense either. Lots of partners at V20 firms graduated from non-T6 schools.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Clearly wrote:

I think it is important considering the statement made in light of the current legal market rather than who at the height of their career has degrees from where. I tend to think the guy has a point, at least if it comes to paying sticker. However, I would agree with previous posters that a full scholly at a lower T14 (or strong regional depending on career goals) can still be worthwhile.

It seems to me though that the general consensus on TLS is that almost nowhere is worth sticker nowadays, and it seems this partners statement kind of reflects that consensus.

SonlenNightfall

New

Post by SonlenNightfall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Clearly wrote:

Basically, this is someone who is quite out of touch with quality standards of normal people. Beginning of sarcasm A partner at a v20 firm could never IMAGINE going to a lowly school like UVA or Penn end of sarcasm, so they fail to take into account that law school applicants are not partners at v20 firms and thus might find value where they see none. A homeless man sees non-Kobe beef in a very different light than a v20 partner does...

Sorry bout that. Fixed it.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 pm

moonman157 wrote:These kind of statements are way too broad to serve as a good rule. But while it may be too broad to say that only six schools are worth going to, you should probably at least have numbers that are T14 worthy, or close to that, regardless of where you go to law school.
I tend to agree with that, but for people who are all about Prosecutor/PD jobs, or just any small law in their region, then you can have non-t14 numbers and get full rides at regionals. Basically then it's true the majority of the time.

Lower t14 numbers usually get sizable scholarships at T30, but true, once your numbers are at median for T30s, or at median for anywhere below T1, then it's not a great idea to attend LS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Silly distinction. Sure, if you are talking NYC V20 firms, then your best shot will come from a T6 school (just take a look at the numbers at some of the top firms, and see how many darn NYU and Columbia lawyers you find), but there are absolutely a solid number of Penn folks too, and people from other high-ranking schools. So to make such a narrow distinction just doesn't seem to make sense. I could perhaps see the argument for someone saying "T14 or don't bother" but this goes too far.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:32 pm

The guy was basically trying to say that going to law school right now is a really bad idea, and picked some arbitrary cutoff below which no one should go. He could have said T10, T14, T20 or whatever, but regardless this is good news. Hopefully he talks to a lot of prospective law students.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
yomisterd wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
I'm just saying there is an anchoring problem. NYU is ranked number six. I wouldn't want to go to the school in the bottom of the top six. I would rather go to Penn, which is the top of the bottom fourteen. It's a matter of perception and these things matter to employers.
NYU has not always been ranked number 6. It was ranked 4th in 2008, 2007, 2001, 1999/2000, and was ranked 5th in several years.
See http://www.law.stanford.edu/sites/defau ... l-rp20.pdf
Basing a prestige/reputation argument just on this year's or last year's ranking seems absurd.

Moreover, in terms of top NY firms placement, there does seem to be a clear top 6 distinction.

Paul Weiss (NY):
NYU: 95
Penn: 37

Cleary (NY):
NYU: 118
Penn: 30

Sure, Penn has a smaller class size and many Penn grads may not want to work in NY. But when the difference in numbers is this huge, I speculate that a difference in chance (or preference of employers) may be a factor here.

Besides, it's understandable why firms want T6. Entry standards are highest at HYSCCN.
http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... ools.shtml

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 pm

jy9626 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
yomisterd wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
NYU has not always been ranked number 6. It was ranked 4th in 2008, 2007, 2001, 1999/2000, and was ranked 5th in several years.
See http://www.law.stanford.edu/sites/defau ... l-rp20.pdf
Basing a prestige/reputation argument just on this year's or last year's ranking seems absurd.

Moreover, in terms of top NY firms placement, there does seem to be a clear top 6 distinction.

Paul Weiss (NY):
NYU: 95
Penn: 37

Cleary (NY):
NYU: 118
Penn: 30

Sure, Penn has a smaller class size and many Penn grads may not want to work in NY. But when the difference in numbers is this huge, I speculate that a difference in chance (or preference of employers) may be a factor here.

Besides, it's understandable why firms want T6. Entry standards are highest at HYSCCN.
http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... ools.shtml
Oh so you're saying someone should base their decision on costs and benefits with regard to employment statistics instead of dumb bright lines? This is shocking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”