Emory Law vs. University of Houston Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LRAdams7474

New

Emory Law vs. University of Houston Law

Post by LRAdams7474 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Currently I am considering accepting admission to either the University of Houston Law Center or Emory Law in Atlanta. I am originally from Memphis, TN and went to undergrad at Ole Miss. However, I am not a SUPER REBEL fan like many at Ole Miss; I just want a quality education and great job opportunities after school. I want to hear from students, lawyers, or professionals in Houston or Atlanta on the job prospects between the two and their reputation in and outside of the cities where they are located. As for cost, I received in-state tuition and a $45,000 scholarship at Houston and a $105,000 scholarship at Emory. That leaves me having to take out about the same to cover the rest of tuition for each school($15,000 a year each). Living expenses would be about the same. And I can see myself beginning my legal career in either Atlanta or Houston(similar climates, cost of living, bad traffic, etc). Any help, advice, or guidance would be greatly appreciated. It can be broad or specific--just whatever you feel like sharing or feel that may be important to a potential student of law in these two cities. If it matters, I am black; but I am definitely cultured and get along with anybody. I just want to be in a place that will give me a good education and job prospects, be in a place that I can afford, and be in a place that I can enjoy the last 3 years of my non-career-working life. Thanks for all comments.

P.S. PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO A BATTLE OF THE CITIES WITHOUT FACTS(though the battle rants are quite amusing). I don't mind contrasting the two and telling me the differences, but please don't just be ranting about how one is better than the other without supporting facts.

BVest

Platinum

Re: Emory Law vs. University of Houston Law

Post by BVest » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:26 pm

In part it depends on what you want to do after law school beyond having good job opportunities (i.e. what type). But, for most things, Emory is going to be the better bet. In addition, Emory appears to offer more mobility (about half of Emory grads stay in GA, as opposed to 4/5 of UH grads), but that's got to be at least partly due to Emory's more national profile relative to Houston's and the fact that Texas has more legal markets for UH grads to go to without leaving the state.

ETA: I like Houston a lot. I like Atlanta too, but not as much. Just so you know my geographic biases lie in opposition to my advice above.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kobe1020

Bronze

Post by kobe1020 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:36 pm

in which city you have stronger ties? Houston or Emory?

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Emory is probably the better bet if we're just looking at debt vs. job prospects. But UH only plays second-fiddle (along with SMU) to UT-Austin in the second largest and probably fastest growing state in the country, so it's not a bad bet either way IMO.

Unless you'd really prefer to live in/have stronger ties to Houston, I'd go with Emory.

Disclaimer: I'm also considering scholarship offers at both schools.

LRAdams7474

New

Post by LRAdams7474 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:02 pm

BVest wrote:In part it depends on what you want to do after law school beyond having good job opportunities (i.e. what type). But, for most things, Emory is going to be the better bet. In addition, Emory appears to offer more mobility (about half of Emory grads stay in GA, as opposed to 4/5 of UH grads), but that's got to be at least partly due to Emory's more national profile relative to Houston's and the fact that Texas has more legal markets for UH grads to go to without leaving the state.

ETA: I like Houston a lot. I like Atlanta too, but not as much. Just so you know my geographic biases lie in opposition to my advice above.
Thanks for the input. And idk why, but your disclaimer made me chuckle. Maybe it's because we have to take all advice on here with a grain of salt lol. But again, thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LRAdams7474

New

Post by LRAdams7474 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:05 pm

kobe1020 wrote:in which city you have stronger ties? Houston or Emory?
I have several friends who are lawyers in Atlanta. I have semi-distant relatives in Houston. Only ties I have to either.

LRAdams7474

New

Post by LRAdams7474 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:08 pm

AT9 wrote:Emory is probably the better bet if we're just looking at debt vs. job prospects. But UH only plays second-fiddle (along with SMU) to UT-Austin in the second largest and probably fastest growing state in the country, so it's not a bad bet either way IMO.

Unless you'd really prefer to live in/have stronger ties to Houston, I'd go with Emory.

Disclaimer: I'm also considering scholarship offers at both schools.
Congrats. I am leaning towards Emory, but just want to be sure on what both offer holistically. Good luck on your decision! If you think of anything you think may be relevant, don't hesitate to share.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 pm

I would only go to UH if I were a lifelong Houstonian who was committed to staying in Texas forever. Except I am and still didn't because UT.

Retake

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 am

Please tell me I am not the only one who found this off-putting:
LRAdams7474 wrote:I am black; but I am definitely cultured
Anyway, UH is definitely out for the reasons Shifty stated. I think Emory is fine if you want to work in the south and its not too expensive. What will your total cost of attendance be?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 am

Waitlisted anywhere ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:47 am

15k/yr tuition for Emory is not bad.

I'd take the 100k scholly but also sign up for another shot at the lsat in June.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 am

BigZuck wrote:Please tell me I am not the only one who found this off-putting:
Anyway, UH is definitely out for the reasons Shifty stated. I think Emory is fine if you want to work in the south and its not too expensive. What will your total cost of attendance be?
Yeah, that was definitely an unnecessary thing to say. What does being cultured have to do with anything?

LRAdams7474

New

Post by LRAdams7474 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 am

Mojosodope wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Please tell me I am not the only one who found this off-putting:
Yeah, that was definitely an unnecessary thing to say. What does being cultured have to do with anything?
I currently go to Ole Miss and have faced racism, severe racism for my four years of undergrad. It wasn't 100 percent but many whites despised blacks and many blacks secretly despised wires. I put that part in because racism is real here. I don't want that problem elsewhere. I like people who are diverse and cultured. Sorry if that offended anyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:06 am

In that and many other respects, Emory is not Ole Miss.

In my opinion, you have two solid options & need to base your decision on where you prefer to live & work.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:10 am

You can be cultured and racist, can't you?

LRAdams7474

New

Post by LRAdams7474 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:20 am

Mojosodope wrote:You can be cultured and racist, can't you?
True. Maybe the word choice I was looking for is "culturally diverse". I just want a welcoming atmosphere. Thanks for the correction.

wsparker

Bronze

Post by wsparker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:55 am

LRAdams7474 wrote:
True. Maybe the word choice I was looking for is "culturally diverse". I just want a welcoming atmosphere. Thanks for the correction.
I have no clue what UH is like, but I know Emory, Decatur, and Atlanta are diverse and welcoming (at least from what I have experienced).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:31 pm

wsparker wrote:
LRAdams7474 wrote:
I have no clue what UH is like, but I know Emory, Decatur, and Atlanta are diverse and welcoming (at least from what I have experienced).
Houston is a very diverse city, and I would say more so than ATL. ATL has a larger AA population (by %), but Houston's AA population is not small and Houston is a more international city with a very large immigrant population (Latin American, Asian, and even European). UH is often talked about as being in a bad part of town, but that tends to be an statement made out racial perceptions. It is in a largely black part of town and is largely working class, but it's not a bad neighborhood.

FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Houston
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Atlanta
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

downinDtown

Bronze

Post by downinDtown » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:06 pm

LRAdams7474 wrote:Currently I am considering accepting admission to either the University of Houston Law Center or Emory Law in Atlanta. I am originally from Memphis, TN and went to undergrad at Ole Miss. However, I am not a SUPER REBEL fan like many at Ole Miss; I just want a quality education and great job opportunities after school. I want to hear from students, lawyers, or professionals in Houston or Atlanta on the job prospects between the two and their reputation in and outside of the cities where they are located. As for cost, I received in-state tuition and a $45,000 scholarship at Houston and a $105,000 scholarship at Emory. That leaves me having to take out about the same to cover the rest of tuition for each school($15,000 a year each). Living expenses would be about the same. And I can see myself beginning my legal career in either Atlanta or Houston(similar climates, cost of living, bad traffic, etc). Any help, advice, or guidance would be greatly appreciated. It can be broad or specific--just whatever you feel like sharing or feel that may be important to a potential student of law in these two cities. If it matters, I am black; but I am definitely cultured and get along with anybody. I just want to be in a place that will give me a good education and job prospects, be in a place that I can afford, and be in a place that I can enjoy the last 3 years of my non-career-working life. Thanks for all comments.

P.S. PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO A BATTLE OF THE CITIES WITHOUT FACTS(though the battle rants are quite amusing). I don't mind contrasting the two and telling me the differences, but please don't just be ranting about how one is better than the other without supporting facts.
This thread was a discussion of UH v. Emory v. ASU: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=225267

If you want BigLaw, neither are great options as UH places 15.41% in BigLaw and Emory 13.7% (Source: 2013 NLJ 250 numbers). Put another way, you will likely be the 8 or 9 people out of 10 who would not get BigLaw. Although if you did get it, Houston market is 160K and Atlanta is ~145K.

Both are relatively low COL so sub-100K salaries can go a long way, especially with lower debt levels. Houston is energy-driven so if you are interested in energy, go to Houston. Houston also has a very strong healthcare sector, if that is of interest.

LRAdams7474

New

Post by LRAdams7474 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:32 pm

downinDtown wrote:
LRAdams7474 wrote:Currently I am considering accepting admission to either the University of Houston Law Center or Emory Law in Atlanta. I am originally from Memphis, TN and went to undergrad at Ole Miss. However, I am not a SUPER REBEL fan like many at Ole Miss; I just want a quality education and great job opportunities after school. I want to hear from students, lawyers, or professionals in Houston or Atlanta on the job prospects between the two and their reputation in and outside of the cities where they are located. As for cost, I received in-state tuition and a $45,000 scholarship at Houston and a $105,000 scholarship at Emory. That leaves me having to take out about the same to cover the rest of tuition for each school($15,000 a year each). Living expenses would be about the same. And I can see myself beginning my legal career in either Atlanta or Houston(similar climates, cost of living, bad traffic, etc). Any help, advice, or guidance would be greatly appreciated. It can be broad or specific--just whatever you feel like sharing or feel that may be important to a potential student of law in these two cities. If it matters, I am black; but I am definitely cultured and get along with anybody. I just want to be in a place that will give me a good education and job prospects, be in a place that I can afford, and be in a place that I can enjoy the last 3 years of my non-career-working life. Thanks for all comments.

This thread was a discussion of UH v. Emory v. ASU: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=225267

If you want BigLaw, neither are great options as UH places 15.41% in BigLaw and Emory 13.7% (Source: 2013 NLJ 250 numbers). Put another way, you will likely be the 8 or 9 people out of 10 who would not get BigLaw. Although if you did get it, Houston market is 160K and Atlanta is ~145K.

Both are relatively low COL so sub-100K salaries can go a long way, especially with lower debt levels. Houston is energy-driven so if you are interested in energy, go to Houston. Houston also has a very strong healthcare sector, if that is of interest.
That wasn't me and that discussion turned into a discussion on how the poster should definitely only go to UT so it wasn't particularly helpful to me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”