UCLA 90K vs. USC 120K Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tmkm

New

UCLA 90K vs. USC 120K

Post by tmkm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:29 pm

UCLA 90K vs. USC 120K

- Is there a way to negotiate with UCLA to potentially get more money with just the USC acceptance?

goden

Gold

Re: UCLA 90K vs. USC 120K

Post by goden » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Show UCLA the offer from USC and ask for more money

sandwich

Bronze

Post by sandwich » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:52 am

goden wrote:Show UCLA the offer from USC and ask for more money

Yup. You're in a really good spot, you should be happy! These two are indisputably peer schools, which is relatively rare. With a lot of schools, you often have the choice to show them offers from schools that are close, but are sometimes much worse in the rankings (for example), or try to find some schools that strike a decent balance between being "ranking peer" schools and being in the same general region of the country. Sometimes, the schools go for it, but sometimes the schools just aren't "peer" enough for them to make a much better offer.

With UCLA and USC, they are straight-up PEER schools. They're in direct competition, and so you have a lot of negotiating power. If you're uncomfortable doing this, people like Mike Spivey make their living helping students negotiate scholarships (and more). I personally recommend Spivey, just because I think that in this situation his fees will be less than he will be able to get you. But you could also try yourself! You have the power right now :)

Oh! I have an idea. Tell UCLA that you won't go unless they match USC's offer AND let me in off the waitlist. Just say, "sandwich really wants to go, and he's been super bummed about being on the waitlist". Thanks bud.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:01 am

sandwich wrote:
goden wrote:Show UCLA the offer from USC and ask for more money

Yup. You're in a really good spot, you should be happy! These two are indisputably peer schools, which is relatively rare. With a lot of schools, you often have the choice to show them offers from schools that are close, but are sometimes much worse in the rankings (for example), or try to find some schools that strike a decent balance between being "ranking peer" schools and being in the same general region of the country. Sometimes, the schools go for it, but sometimes the schools just aren't "peer" enough for them to make a much better offer.

With UCLA and USC, they are straight-up PEER schools. They're in direct competition, and so you have a lot of negotiating power. If you're uncomfortable doing this, people like Mike Spivey make their living helping students negotiate scholarships (and more). I personally recommend Spivey, just because I think that in this situation his fees will be less than he will be able to get you. But you could also try yourself! You have the power right now :)

Oh! I have an idea. Tell UCLA that you won't go unless they match USC's offer AND let me in off the waitlist. Just say, "sandwich really wants to go, and he's been super bummed about being on the waitlist". Thanks bud.
You don't need a consultant to send a few nicely worded emails to negotiate scholarships. Keep in mind, UCLA in-state is non-negigibly cheaper than USC (although living in westwood is more expensive). They may not match you dollar for dollar, but you can at least get $105K.

Any T14 schollies? I got $30K/year from UCLA originally too, pitched them $30K/yr afrom Northwestern and they jumped to full ride (although I didn't end up taking it).

sandwich

Bronze

Post by sandwich » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:09 am

jbagelboy wrote: You don't need a consultant to send a few nicely worded emails to negotiate scholarships.
No, this is right. I should have made it clearer in my post that IF for some reason you are uncomfortable going this alone or whatever, you should know that consultants do this sort of thing and you should at least know that they are an option. But you definitely can do it yourself. I think I just read something somewhere about scholarship negotiations and apparently one of the biggest things is really just not to be a jerk.
jbagelboy wrote: Keep in mind, UCLA in-state is non-negigibly cheaper than USC (although living in westwood is more expensive). They may not match you dollar for dollar, but you can at least get $105K.
Also, I did not think of this. Should tell you right there who knows their shit better...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”