UVA vs. NU vs. Vandy Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zolithevizsla

New

UVA vs. NU vs. Vandy

Post by zolithevizsla » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 pm

8)
Last edited by zolithevizsla on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: UVA vs. NU vs. Vandy

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:43 pm

If that's your end game what do you envision being your initial game

And I'd probably wait to see money

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:48 pm

I would only do AJD if you don't need OCI to get a gig, as in have solid connections that can get you a job on the strength of your resume.

ejan1621

New

Post by ejan1621 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:12 pm

First, how the hell did you get into UVA w that GPA? You must have a killer résumé and awesome PS. CONGRATS. Gives everyone some hope.

Second, get outta here- UVA or bust. Unless you get a full ride at NW.

Chrysogonus

New

Post by Chrysogonus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:34 pm

ejan1621 wrote:First, how the hell did you get into UVA w that GPA? You must have a killer résumé and awesome PS. CONGRATS. Gives everyone some hope.

in-state I imagine

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zolithevizsla

New

Post by zolithevizsla » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Chrysogonus wrote:
ejan1621 wrote:First, how the hell did you get into UVA w that GPA? You must have a killer résumé and awesome PS. CONGRATS. Gives everyone some hope.

in-state I imagine
Nope, not in state, just a boss I guess. Kidding, but WE helps.

You guys are spitting some hot fire tonight. Keep it up.

ejan1621

New

Post by ejan1621 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:32 pm

I'd honestly not even consider Vanderbilt, but that's just my opinion. It's a great school, but NW and UVA open way more doors, especially in the public sector. That being said, if you did awesome at Vandy, you'd be in a great position as well.

Impressive you're not in state! Congrats again.

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:47 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 pm

public interest work? Compare the lraps, I'm pretty sure this takes Vandy out of the running. Also in the AJD do you just pay for two years? State AG seems like the sort of thing you could swing through alumni connections and work experience, os if the $ isn't a factor going to vandy could make sense (I'd also guess that its a whole lot easier to network your way into this kind of job while residing in Nashville than Charlottesville)

Also, as a heads up, the classic route to DOJ/US attorney is via a large law firm. I've heard of people doing it starting at a DA or from clerking as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zolithevizsla

New

Post by zolithevizsla » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks for the posts, all. LRAP at Vandy is significantly weaker than NU or UVA, so that is a big consideration.

NU AJD cost the same as 3-year; upside is I reenter the workforce a year early so the financial hit isn't as bad.

My hangup w/ UVA is that it is so isolated geographically. But am I wrong in saying that its public sector reputation is clearly superior to NU? NU to me is a great big law school and not as strong for public sector work. Besides HYS, it's NYU, UVA and Georgetown that are the PI/Gov't standouts among the T14, no?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:28 am

zolithevizsla wrote:Thanks for the posts, all. LRAP at Vandy is significantly weaker than NU or UVA, so that is a big consideration.

NU AJD cost the same as 3-year; upside is I reenter the workforce a year early so the financial hit isn't as bad.

My hangup w/ UVA is that it is so isolated geographically. But am I wrong in saying that its public sector reputation is clearly superior to NU? NU to me is a great big law school and not as strong for public sector work. Besides HYS, it's NYU, UVA and Georgetown that are the PI/Gov't standouts among the T14, no?
Public sector hiring really doesn't work like that beyond the very elite jobs (DOJ, SEC, DOE etc.). Even then they more or less care about HYS and then everyone after that is more judged off of whether they have the boxes checked for things like clerkships, law review, and high grades (not that those things don't matter at HYS too).

PI employers are not going to make a decision whether to hire you based off of whether you attended NU or UVA. They will look at your stats from those schools and your internships/WE. Region will play a role more than anything else. I.e. you will have an easier time getting a job at a Chicago DA's office or the Illinois AG coming from NU. And you'll have an easier time getting those sorts of jobs in VA from UVA etc.

Bottom line, go to the one that gives you the most money. If you don't get any money from any of these 3 schools I would look elsewhere.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:40 am

zolithevizsla wrote:Thanks for the posts, all. LRAP at Vandy is significantly weaker than NU or UVA, so that is a big consideration.

While we are stereotyping schools, you're forgetting about the tree huggers at Berkeley.

All else equal, I would choose UVA because it sounds like there might be a bit more institutional support for PI. But all else is rarely equal and it's still too early in the game for this kind of thread.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:32 am

There are no PI standouts. Sure, more students may be interested in that kind of work at certain schools but that doesn't mean they're better at placing students. And I wouldn't put Gtown as a standout for anything within the T14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”